Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: HPPA

kernel

Gentoo hppa RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

gavinseddon at blueyonder

Nov 1, 2004, 8:16 AM

kernel

Hi, I am trying to 'emerge -v hppa/dev-sources' to start compiling a new
kernel and emerge isn't found even though it's in /usr/bin. Should I
start fresh, or can someone vpls help?

tracyde at gmail

Nov 1, 2004, 9:34 AM

Re: kernel [In reply to]

try sourcing the environment e.g.

>> # source /etc/profile <<

See if that works for you. How far along are you into the install?

On 01 Nov 2004 15:16:09 +0000, Dr Gavin Seddon
<gavinseddon [at] blueyonder> wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to 'emerge -v hppa/dev-sources' to start compiling a new
> kernel and emerge isn't found even though it's in /usr/bin. Should I
> start fresh, or can someone vpls help?

jakollasch at mcleodusa

Nov 1, 2004, 9:37 AM

Re: kernel [In reply to]

On Monday, November 1, 2004 09:16 am, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to 'emerge -v hppa/dev-sources' to start compiling a new
> kernel and emerge isn't found even though it's in /usr/bin. Should I
> start fresh, or can someone vpls help?

Is /usr is mounted?
Is /usr/bin is in $PATH ?

If any of these are false; correct them.

Jonathan Kollasch

p.s. Have you looked into Debian/hppa?

ryanm at centurycomputer

Nov 1, 2004, 9:49 AM

RE: kernel [In reply to]

Debian HPPA is MUCH easier to install, especially on older machines.
However, for a box that is going to have minimal packages (like a mail
server) I would highly recommend Gentoo as it makes hppa purr like nothing
else can.
You may also note that either free or open BSD is available for the platform
- which I have yet to try.

YMMV

Ryan MacLean
Sales Representative