Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: HPPA

installing kernel

Gentoo hppa RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

gavinseddon at blueyonder

Sep 18, 2004, 6:16 AM

installing kernel

Hi which sould I run for a .27 kernel?

(For 2.4 kernel)
# make dep && make vmlinux modules modules_install

(For 2.6 kernel)
# make && make modules_install

Unfortunately I ran the former without asking.

What should I do?

Gavin.

gentoo-hppa.list at scytale

Sep 18, 2004, 6:28 AM

Re: installing kernel [In reply to]

Am Samstag, 18. September 2004 15:16 schrieb Dr Gavin Seddon:
> Hi which sould I run for a .27 kernel?
>
> (For 2.4 kernel)
> # make dep && make vmlinux modules modules_install
>
> (For 2.6 kernel)
> # make && make modules_install
>
> Unfortunately I ran the former without asking.

Well, since I assume you're talking about the kernel 2.4.27, the first form is
exactly the right one.

However, you should strongly consider taking a 2.6.x series kernel instead,
because they have got newer drivers, some new technologies and are not less
stable than 2.4 kernels. Additionally, though 2.4 is still maintained, it
will get obsolete sooner or later. To get a 2.6 kernel, issue the following
commands:

# Download the kernel sources.
emerge -v hppa-dev-sources
# Re-link the /usr/src/linux directory.
ln -sf /usr/src/linux-2.6.* /usr/src/linux
# (Optional) Copy over your current configuration (see below).
cp /usr/src/linux-2.4.*/.config /usr/src/linux
# Go to the kernel directory and configure the kernel.
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
# Build the kernel, its modules and install the modules.
make && make modules_install

As you can see, the last command in my list is identical to the one in the
Installation Guide, so that's where you've got to continue using the guide's
instructions.

About that "optional" step: Since a lot of configuration options have changed
from 2.4 to 2.6, you might want to completely skip using your old
configuration. Either way, you need to "make menuconfig" again. See the
Guide on how you should configure your kernel.

Regards

Gentoo hppa RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded