Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Hardened

offtopic: libpng upgrade

 

 

Gentoo hardened RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


atoth at atoth

Sep 22, 2011, 12:23 PM

Post #1 of 7 (824 views)
Permalink
offtopic: libpng upgrade

I've suspected, that it won't be a torch-light procession.
But reality exceeded my expectations.
Around 60 packages failed out of approx 100! I've followed the ebuild's
advice, that I leave the old library in place and revdep all packages
linked to it.
Acutally it would be better to remove the old library immediately, because
a bunch of packages still tried to use -lpng14 for linking. In those case
removing the old libs seems to help most of the time. But it will take
another day to roll over the packages.
Of course some packages will still fail. But it could spare me a day of
useless compiles failing at the end while linking if I would have removed
the old library for the first time.
--
dr T贸th Attila, Radiol贸gus, 06-20-825-8057
Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057


ian at maide

Sep 22, 2011, 12:46 PM

Post #2 of 7 (797 views)
Permalink
Re: offtopic: libpng upgrade [In reply to]

While this is only a temporary solution untill old packages start using
libpng1.5, emering libpng-1.4.8-r2, since it's in a 1.4 slot, fixed all of
the compile errors for me, and kept my 1.5. I don't know if there were any
issues with that version, but I have not run into any.

On 22 September 2011 15:23, "T髏h Attila" <atoth [at] atoth> wrote:

> I've suspected, that it won't be a torch-light procession.
> But reality exceeded my expectations.
> Around 60 packages failed out of approx 100! I've followed the ebuild's
> advice, that I leave the old library in place and revdep all packages
> linked to it.
> Acutally it would be better to remove the old library immediately, because
> a bunch of packages still tried to use -lpng14 for linking. In those case
> removing the old libs seems to help most of the time. But it will take
> another day to roll over the packages.
> Of course some packages will still fail. But it could spare me a day of
> useless compiles failing at the end while linking if I would have removed
> the old library for the first time.
> --
> dr T髏h Attila, Radiol骻us, 06-20-825-8057
> Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057
>
>
>


gmurray at webwayone

Sep 22, 2011, 11:54 PM

Post #3 of 7 (792 views)
Permalink
Re: offtopic: libpng upgrade [In reply to]

On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 20:23 +0100, "T贸th Attila" wrote:
> I've suspected, that it won't be a torch-light procession.
> But reality exceeded my expectations.
> Around 60 packages failed out of approx 100! I've followed the
> ebuild's
> advice, that I leave the old library in place and revdep all packages
> linked to it.
> Acutally it would be better to remove the old library immediately,
> because
> a bunch of packages still tried to use -lpng14 for linking. In those
> case
> removing the old libs seems to help most of the time. But it will take
> another day to roll over the packages.
> Of course some packages will still fail. But it could spare me a day
> of
> useless compiles failing at the end while linking if I would have
> removed
> the old library for the first time.

I found that the "problem" was .la files where the library does NOT link
in libpng but the .la file contains png14. Neither revdep-rebuild nor
'emerge @preserver-rebuild' caught these and I had to manually identify
and re-emerge the packages whose .la files referenced png14.
Attachments: smime.p7s (6.08 KB)


med.delaney at gmail

Sep 23, 2011, 4:02 AM

Post #4 of 7 (795 views)
Permalink
Re: offtopic: libpng upgrade [In reply to]

How about "lafilefixer --justfixit" ?

On Sep 23, 2011, at 2:54, Graham Murray <gmurray [at] webwayone> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 20:23 +0100, "T贸th Attila" wrote:
>> I've suspected, that it won't be a torch-light procession.
>> But reality exceeded my expectations.
>> Around 60 packages failed out of approx 100! I've followed the
>> ebuild's
>> advice, that I leave the old library in place and revdep all packages
>> linked to it.
>> Acutally it would be better to remove the old library immediately,
>> because
>> a bunch of packages still tried to use -lpng14 for linking. In those
>> case
>> removing the old libs seems to help most of the time. But it will take
>> another day to roll over the packages.
>> Of course some packages will still fail. But it could spare me a day
>> of
>> useless compiles failing at the end while linking if I would have
>> removed
>> the old library for the first time.
>
> I found that the "problem" was .la files where the library does NOT link
> in libpng but the .la file contains png14. Neither revdep-rebuild nor
> 'emerge @preserver-rebuild' caught these and I had to manually identify
> and re-emerge the packages whose .la files referenced png14.
>


gmurray at webwayone

Sep 23, 2011, 5:40 AM

Post #5 of 7 (795 views)
Permalink
Re: offtopic: libpng upgrade [In reply to]

On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 12:02 +0100, Michael Delaney wrote:
> How about "lafilefixer --justfixit" ?
>
The .la files still contained references to png14 after that had been
run.
Attachments: smime.p7s (6.08 KB)


med.delaney at gmail

Sep 24, 2011, 7:10 AM

Post #6 of 7 (792 views)
Permalink
Re: offtopic: libpng upgrade [In reply to]

Is it possible that /usr/lib/libpng.so is still pointing to the old png14 lib? May have to remove and re-point symlink then run lafilefixer, revdeprebuild. etc. Hope this helps.

On Sep 23, 2011, at 8:40, Graham Murray <gmurray [at] webwayone> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 12:02 +0100, Michael Delaney wrote:
>> How about "lafilefixer --justfixit" ?
>>
> The .la files still contained references to png14 after that had been
> run.
>


gnu_andrew at member

Sep 26, 2011, 5:59 PM

Post #7 of 7 (915 views)
Permalink
Re: offtopic: libpng upgrade [In reply to]

On 22 September 2011 20:23, "T贸th Attila" <atoth [at] atoth> wrote:
> I've suspected, that it won't be a torch-light procession.
> But reality exceeded my expectations.
> Around 60 packages failed out of approx 100! I've followed the ebuild's
> advice, that I leave the old library in place and revdep all packages
> linked to it.
> Acutally it would be better to remove the old library immediately, because
> a bunch of packages still tried to use -lpng14 for linking. In those case
> removing the old libs seems to help most of the time. But it will take
> another day to roll over the packages.
> Of course some packages will still fail. But it could spare me a day of
> useless compiles failing at the end while linking if I would have removed
> the old library for the first time.
> --
> dr T贸th Attila, Radiol贸gus, 06-20-825-8057
> Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057
>
>
>

I managed this about a month back, but it can take a bit of work.

The main resource you need is
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354479 which has links to bugs
for packages that have already been tested. Many have patches
attached, and in a lot of cases, if you get a compilation failure,
it's because the maintainer hasn't yet patched the build, but the
patch is there in Bugzilla.

That applies for compile-time failures (stuff like error: invalid use
of incomplete type 鈥榩ng_info {aka struct png_info_def}鈥) rather than
a link-time occurrence of -lpng14. This occurs because one of the
dependencies is still linked against libpng 1.4. As libpng 1.4 is
one of the main system libraries, a lot of packages depend on it, and
in many cases they do so indirectly. So, a package that
doesn't even depend on libpng can fail, because one of its
dependencies does and hasn't rebuilt. As a result, the dependency
still
has a libtool ('.la') file with -lpng14 in it.

The solution is to just rebuild the dependencies until you manage to
root out all the libpng14 usage. Which portage are using? 2.2
will maintain a list of stuff that still links against 1.4, but it may
not always be possible to rebuild these because some dependency
is still using 1.4 or just has it in its libtool file. As a last
resort, grepping the la files for 'lpng14' and then using equery f to
find out
which package owns that la file can help.
--
Andii :-)

Gentoo hardened RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.