Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Hardened

pidgin & libGL

Gentoo hardened RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

powerman at powerman

Feb 16, 2011, 8:50 AM

pidgin & libGL

Hi!

I'm using nvidia drivers on hardened workstation (I know this doesn't
supported but I've manually unmasked them) and set `eselect opengl` to
nvidia because this is only way to get hardware 3d acceleration in vmware.

Because of this I've to use `paxctl -m` on few non-critical binaries.
But after today's update pidgin-2.7.9 to 2.7.10 I got this on pidgin
startup:

pidgin: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: failed to
map segment from shared object: Operation not permitted

While this can be solved by same `paxctl -m`, I don't like to relax PaX
for pidgin. Instead, I'd like to stop pidgin from using opengl - this
sounds much more reasonable for this application - it never used it
before, and probably don't really need it now.

Any ideas how to stop pidgin from using libGL or work around this in any
other way without `paxctl -m`?

[ebuild R ] net-im/pidgin-2.7.10 USE="dbus gnutls gstreamer gtk
idn ncurses nls perl python spell startup-notification xscreensaver
-debug -doc -eds -gadu -groupwise -meanwhile -networkmanager
-prediction -qq -sasl -silc -tcl -tk -zephyr -zeroconf"

--
WBR, Alex.

pageexec at freemail

Feb 16, 2011, 8:19 AM

Re: pidgin & libGL [In reply to]

On 16 Feb 2011 at 18:50, Alex Efros wrote:

> pidgin: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: failed to
> map segment from shared object: Operation not permitted
>
> While this can be solved by same `paxctl -m`, I don't like to relax PaX
> for pidgin. Instead, I'd like to stop pidgin from using opengl - this
> sounds much more reasonable for this application - it never used it
> before, and probably don't really need it now.
>
> Any ideas how to stop pidgin from using libGL or work around this in any
> other way without `paxctl -m`?

what's lddtree say? here libGL is loaded for libgtk-x11-2.0.so (x11-libs/gtk+)
which is needed when you have USE=gtk. so you should look at gtk+ and see why
it needs libGL (or better, whether it's configurable).

powerman at powerman

Feb 16, 2011, 10:49 AM

Re: pidgin & libGL [In reply to]

Hi!

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 06:19:59PM +0200, pageexec [at] freemail wrote:
> what's lddtree say? here libGL is loaded for libgtk-x11-2.0.so (x11-libs/gtk+)
> which is needed when you have USE=gtk. so you should look at gtk+ and see why
> it needs libGL (or better, whether it's configurable).

Thanks for the hint. On my system it's x11-libs/cairo:
libcairo.so.2 => /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
libEGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libEGL.so.1
libQtGui.so.4 => /usr/lib/qt4/libQtGui.so.4
libQtCore.so.4 => /usr/lib/qt4/libQtCore.so.4
libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so.1
libnvidia-tls.so.260.19.29 => /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.260.19.29
libnvidia-glcore.so.260.19.29 => /usr/lib/libnvidia-glcore.so.260.19.29

Rebuilding x11-libs/cairo without USE-flag "opengl" solved issue for pidgin.

--
WBR, Alex.

Gentoo hardened RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded