Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Embedded

CellPhone Hacking

Gentoo embedded RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

solar at gentoo

CellPhone Hacking

So I've had a fun past few weeks.

I've had a HTC Wizard (arm926ej-s) phone for a while now that runs
Windows Mobile 5. It's a nice little piece of hardware but it's WM5
based so... A user joins the #gentoo-embedded channel asking for
some help a few weeks ago saying he is trying to get linux running
on the Wizard. I kinda laugh to myself. The user comes back a day
or two later and is still working on it. We talk for a little while
and he suggests I join #linwizard. Everything went downhill from
there. Before I knew it I was completely redoing the entire
userland and hacking up touchscreen ebuilds, keywording for ~arm
left and right and making current gpe overlay ebuilds that
cross compile. Anyway it's been going good and we just have a
little more hardware to figure out before we can completely replace
the WM5 image. I now have 423 pkgs cross compiled for
armv5te-softfloat-linux-gnueabi.

Attached are few screen shots.

--
Ned Ludd <solar [at] gentoo>
Attachments: screenshotox1.png (19.9 KB)

wireless at tampabay

Re: CellPhone Hacking [In reply to]

Ned Ludd wrote:
> So I've had a fun past few weeks.
>
> I've had a HTC Wizard (arm926ej-s) phone for a while now that runs
> Windows Mobile 5. It's a nice little piece of hardware but it's WM5
> based so... A user joins the #gentoo-embedded channel asking for
> some help a few weeks ago saying he is trying to get linux running
> on the Wizard. I kinda laugh to myself. The user comes back a day
> or two later and is still working on it. We talk for a little while
> and he suggests I join #linwizard. Everything went downhill from
> there. Before I knew it I was completely redoing the entire
> userland and hacking up touchscreen ebuilds, keywording for ~arm
> left and right and making current gpe overlay ebuilds that
> cross compile. Anyway it's been going good and we just have a
> little more hardware to figure out before we can completely replace
> the WM5 image. I now have 423 pkgs cross compiled for
> armv5te-softfloat-linux-gnueabi.

Hello Ned,

Do you know which cellular carriers offer service, with this phone,
here in the US? My current provider is Alltel.

James

solar at gentoo

Re: CellPhone Hacking [In reply to]

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 08:53 -0400, wireless wrote:
> Ned Ludd wrote:
> > So I've had a fun past few weeks.
> >
> > I've had a HTC Wizard (arm926ej-s) phone for a while now that runs
> > Windows Mobile 5. It's a nice little piece of hardware but it's WM5
> > based so... A user joins the #gentoo-embedded channel asking for
> > some help a few weeks ago saying he is trying to get linux running
> > on the Wizard. I kinda laugh to myself. The user comes back a day
> > or two later and is still working on it. We talk for a little while
> > and he suggests I join #linwizard. Everything went downhill from
> > there. Before I knew it I was completely redoing the entire
> > userland and hacking up touchscreen ebuilds, keywording for ~arm
> > left and right and making current gpe overlay ebuilds that
> > cross compile. Anyway it's been going good and we just have a
> > little more hardware to figure out before we can completely replace
> > the WM5 image. I now have 423 pkgs cross compiled for
> > armv5te-softfloat-linux-gnueabi.
>
> Hello Ned,
>
> Do you know which cellular carriers offer service, with this phone,
> here in the US? My current provider is Alltel.

The Wizard is sold by Cingular as the 8125, T-Mobile carries the phone
as the "MDA". Sprint and Verizon carry the phone under another name.
It's also sold rebranded as a Qtek S200. People have reported success
with the Wizard's kernel on the HTC Prophet.

Newer models use a PXA270 chip at ~400Mhz vs the omap850/200Mhz I'm
using.

Note. for cellular service we have only been able to successfully make
calls via issuing AT commands to the modem directly. IE.. We can make
calls but have no sound driver yet..

jpollak at kivasystems

Re: CellPhone Hacking [In reply to]

On May 28, 2008, at 10:32 AM, Ned Ludd wrote:

>> Hello Ned,
>>
>> Do you know which cellular carriers offer service, with this phone,
>> here in the US? My current provider is Alltel.
>
> The Wizard is sold by Cingular as the 8125, T-Mobile carries the phone
> as the "MDA". Sprint and Verizon carry the phone under another name.
> It's also sold rebranded as a Qtek S200. People have reported success
> with the Wizard's kernel on the HTC Prophet.
>
> Newer models use a PXA270 chip at ~400Mhz vs the omap850/200Mhz I'm
> using.
>
> Note. for cellular service we have only been able to successfully make
> calls via issuing AT commands to the modem directly. IE.. We can make
> calls but have no sound driver yet..

I've got a T-Mobile Wing, which is the HTC Herald I believe... Is this
project compatible?

--
Joshua ChaitinPollak | Software Engineer
Kiva Systems, Inc., 225 Wildwood Ave, Woburn, MA 01970

solar at gentoo

Re: CellPhone Hacking [In reply to]

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 11:05 -0400, Joshua ChaitinPollak wrote:
> On May 28, 2008, at 10:32 AM, Ned Ludd wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello Ned,
> > >
> > > Do you know which cellular carriers offer service, with this
> > > phone,
> > > here in the US? My current provider is Alltel.
> >
> > The Wizard is sold by Cingular as the 8125, T-Mobile carries the
> > phone
> > as the "MDA". Sprint and Verizon carry the phone under another name.
> > It's also sold rebranded as a Qtek S200. People have reported
> > success
> > with the Wizard's kernel on the HTC Prophet.
> >
> > Newer models use a PXA270 chip at ~400Mhz vs the omap850/200Mhz I'm
> > using.
> >
> > Note. for cellular service we have only been able to successfully
> > make
> > calls via issuing AT commands to the modem directly. IE.. We can
> > make
> > calls but have no sound driver yet..
>

> I've got a T-Mobile Wing, which is the HTC Herald I believe... Is this
> project compatible?

Go to "Settings" "System" "Device Info" "Hardware"

jpollak at kivasystems

Re: CellPhone Hacking [In reply to]

On May 28, 2008, at 12:14 PM, Ned Ludd wrote:
>>> Newer models use a PXA270 chip at ~400Mhz vs the omap850/200Mhz I'm
>>> using.
>>>
>>> Note. for cellular service we have only been able to successfully
>>> make
>>> calls via issuing AT commands to the modem directly. IE.. We can
>>> make
>>> calls but have no sound driver yet..
>>

>> I've got a T-Mobile Wing, which is the HTC Herald I believe... Is
>> this
>> project compatible?
>
> Go to "Settings" "System" "Device Info" "Hardware"

OMAP850 @ 201 mhz and 64mb of ram... so in principal I guess it should
work.

I wonder if OpenMoko can be ported...

Re: CellPhone Hacking [In reply to]

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 12:42 -0400, Joshua ChaitinPollak wrote:

> > > I've got a T-Mobile Wing, which is the HTC Herald I believe... Is
> > > this
> > > project compatible?
> >
> > Go to "Settings" "System" "Device Info" "Hardware"
>

> OMAP850 @ 201 mhz and 64mb of ram... so in principal I guess it should
> work.

I have to run to SFO for the day. But if you want to try it out..
Grab this. Extract it to your storage card. run haret.exe and wait a few
seconds for linux to boot.

http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/embedded/linwizard/gizard-20080527.tar.bz2

And join #linwizard on freenode. Gotta run..

jpollak at kivasystems

Re: CellPhone Hacking [In reply to]

On May 28, 2008, at 1:02 PM, Ned Ludd wrote:

> I have to run to SFO for the day. But if you want to try it out..
> Grab this. Extract it to your storage card. run haret.exe and wait a
> few
> seconds for linux to boot.
>
> http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/embedded/linwizard/gizard-20080527.tar.bz2
>
> And join #linwizard on freenode. Gotta run..

Works great! Or at least, works as well as can be expected! After
rebooting my phone to free memory, I was able to run haret, boot into
linux, log in, run startx, and run a few apps. I noticed a few things
right off the bat, but nothing a bit of typing can't fix:

screen was shifted slightly to the right
no XRandR
couldn't use the buttons on the face or the keypad to play tetris..

All in all, very cool!