Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Embedded

Problems with uclibc stage1

 

 

Gentoo embedded RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


filip at blueturtle

Sep 12, 2004, 1:05 PM

Post #1 of 6 (800 views)
Permalink
Problems with uclibc stage1

Hi!

I have been trying to get my hands dirty with the uclibc stage1 that
Mike Frysinger announced two days ago, and I get a strange error from
portage.

Since I'm lazy, and have tried the install _many_ times with different
tweaks, I have separated the install into two scripts:
---
#! /bin/bash
# Begin unpack.sh - A script to unpack and make ready a gentoo stage
STAGE="stage1-x86-uclibc-20040909.tar.bz2"
cd /mnt/gentoo &&
tar -xvjpf /mnt/temp1/$STAGE &&
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage &&
chmod 755 /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage &&
mount -t nfs 10.0.0.2:/usr/portage /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage &&
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf etc &&
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc &&
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
--- and ---
#! /bin/bash
# Begin the-rest.sh - A script to take the gentoo installation past
# bootstrap
env-update &&
source /etc/profile &&
cd /usr/portage &&
scripts/bootstrap-cascade.sh &&
echo "Success!"
---

This is the output of bootstrap-cascade.sh:
---
Gentoo Linux; http://www.gentoo.org/
Copyright 2001-2004 Gentoo Foundation.; Distributed under the GPLv2
Starting Bootstrap of base system ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Using baselayout : >=sys-apps/baselayout-1.9.4-r2
* Using portage : >=sys-apps/portage-2.0.50-r8
* Using os-headers : virtual/os-headers
* Using binutils : sys-devel/binutils
* Using gcc : sys-devel/gcc
* Using libc : virtual/libc
* Using texinfo : sys-apps/texinfo
* Using zlib : zlib
* Using ncurses : sys-libs/ncurses
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Configuring environment ...
* GENTOO_MIRRORS='http://gentoo.osuosl.org
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo'
* PORTDIR='/usr/portage/'
* DISTDIR='/usr/portage/distfiles'
* PKGDIR='/usr/portage//packages//'
* PORTAGE_TMPDIR='/var/tmp'
* CFLAGS='-Os -pipe'
* CHOST='i386-pc-linux-uclibc'
* CXXFLAGS='-Os -pipe'
* MAKEOPTS='-j2'
* ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='x86'
* FEATURES='autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache nodoc noinfo noman sandbox
sfperms strict'
* STAGE1_USE='uclibc'
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calculating dependencies
!!! Problem in >=sys-apps/portage-2.0.50-r8 dependencies.
!!! [Errno 38] Function not implemented:
'/var/cache/edb/dep//sys-apps/portage-2.0.50-r9'
---

I have tried with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" too, and with two different
portage snapshots instead of the NFS share - but no luck. It's always
the same error.

My system is a Pentium2, 350MHz with 512kb cache (Deschutes), 128MB RAM,
and I'm starting from a gentoo-based rescue cd (sysresccd.org).

I have also tried with the ordinary 2004.2 stage1, and that got through
bootstrap ok.

So, any ideas anyone? <:)

TIA
/Filip


--
gentoo-embedded [at] gentoo mailing list


enderlord at netzero

Sep 12, 2004, 1:45 PM

Post #2 of 6 (757 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems with uclibc stage1 [In reply to]

Filip,

This same script worked with the stage1 from gentoo image 2004.2, but not the stage1 for uclibc? That is not strange considering when your output of bootstrap-cascade.sh shows your libc as:

<snip>
* Using libc : virtual/libc
</snip>

It is my understanding that you need to open that tarball from within a directory that would be visible within the gentoo chroot environment. (i.e. /mnt/gentoo/tmp, /mnt/gentoo/temp, or anything within your /mnt/gentoo directory. Second, aren't you supposed to copy portage next before you chroot into your build environment? Did you do that step at all? HTH

altoine


Filip Joelsson wrote:

Hi!

I have been trying to get my hands dirty with the uclibc stage1 that
Mike Frysinger announced two days ago, and I get a strange error from
portage.

Since I'm lazy, and have tried the install _many_ times with different
tweaks, I have separated the install into two scripts:
---
#! /bin/bash
# Begin unpack.sh - A script to unpack and make ready a gentoo stage
STAGE="stage1-x86-uclibc-20040909.tar.bz2"
cd /mnt/gentoo &&
tar -xvjpf /mnt/temp1/$STAGE &&
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage &&
chmod 755 /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage &&
mount -t nfs 10.0.0.2:/usr/portage /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage &&
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf etc &&
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc &&
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
--- and ---
#! /bin/bash
# Begin the-rest.sh - A script to take the gentoo installation past
# bootstrap
env-update &&
source /etc/profile &&
cd /usr/portage &&
scripts/bootstrap-cascade.sh &&
echo "Success!"
---

This is the output of bootstrap-cascade.sh:
---
Gentoo Linux; http://www.gentoo.org/
Copyright 2001-2004 Gentoo Foundation.; Distributed under the GPLv2
Starting Bootstrap of base system ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Using baselayout : >=sys-apps/baselayout-1.9.4-r2
* Using portage : >=sys-apps/portage-2.0.50-r8
* Using os-headers : virtual/os-headers
* Using binutils : sys-devel/binutils
* Using gcc : sys-devel/gcc
* Using libc : virtual/libc
* Using texinfo : sys-apps/texinfo
* Using zlib : zlib
* Using ncurses : sys-libs/ncurses
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuring environment ...
* GENTOO_MIRRORS='http://gentoo.osuosl.org
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo'
* PORTDIR='/usr/portage/'
* DISTDIR='/usr/portage/distfiles'
* PKGDIR='/usr/portage//packages//'
* PORTAGE_TMPDIR='/var/tmp'
* CFLAGS='-Os -pipe'
* CHOST='i386-pc-linux-uclibc'
* CXXFLAGS='-Os -pipe'
* MAKEOPTS='-j2'
* ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='x86'
* FEATURES='autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache nodoc noinfo noman sandbox
sfperms strict'
* STAGE1_USE='uclibc'
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calculating dependencies
!!! Problem in >=sys-apps/portage-2.0.50-r8 dependencies.
!!! [Errno 38] Function not implemented:
'/var/cache/edb/dep//sys-apps/portage-2.0.50-r9'
---

I have tried with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" too, and with two different
portage snapshots instead of the NFS share - but no luck. It's always
the same error.

My system is a Pentium2, 350MHz with 512kb cache (Deschutes), 128MB RAM,
and I'm starting from a gentoo-based rescue cd (sysresccd.org).

I have also tried with the ordinary 2004.2 stage1, and that got through
bootstrap ok.

So, any ideas anyone? <:)

TI

________________________________________________________________
Get your name as your email address.
Includes spam protection, 1GB storage, no ads and more
Only $1.99/ month - visit http://www.mysite.com/name today!

--
gentoo-embedded [at] gentoo mailing list


enderlord at netzero

Sep 12, 2004, 1:51 PM

Post #3 of 6 (752 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems with uclibc stage1 [In reply to]

Filip,

He he, correction on that first point! You untarred the tarball correctly and into the right directory. Please, excuse my error as I soon will need to rest.

altoine

-------------------------------------------------------
Filip Joelsson wrote:

This same script worked with the stage1 from gentoo image 2004.2, but not the
stage1 for uclibc? That is not strange considering when your output of
bootstrap-cascade.sh shows your libc as:

<snip>
* Using libc : virtual/libc
</snip>

It is my understanding that you need to open that tarball from within a
directory that would be visible within the gentoo chroot environment. (i.e.
/mnt/gentoo/tmp, /mnt/gentoo/temp, or anything within your /mnt/gentoo
directory. Second, aren't you supposed to copy portage next before you chroot
into your build environment? Did you do that step at all? HTH

altoine

________________________________________________________________
Get your name as your email address.
Includes spam protection, 1GB storage, no ads and more
Only $1.99/ month - visit http://www.mysite.com/name today!

--
gentoo-embedded [at] gentoo mailing list


vapier at gentoo

Sep 12, 2004, 5:48 PM

Post #4 of 6 (758 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems with uclibc stage1 [In reply to]

On Sunday 12 September 2004 04:05 pm, Filip Joelsson wrote:
> !!! Problem in >=sys-apps/portage-2.0.50-r8 dependencies.
> !!! [Errno 38] Function not implemented:
> '/var/cache/edb/dep//sys-apps/portage-2.0.50-r9'

what if you `rm -rf /var/cache/edb/dep` ? it's just a cache dir and will be
regenerated next time you run portage (the portage command will just take
longer the first time since there's no cache anymore)

i just tested your script on my pentium4 x86 and on an amd64 opteron and didnt
have any probs :/
-mike

--
gentoo-embedded [at] gentoo mailing list


filip at blueturtle

Sep 13, 2004, 2:04 AM

Post #5 of 6 (750 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems with uclibc stage1 [In reply to]

mån 2004-09-13 klockan 02.48 skrev Mike Frysinger:
> On Sunday 12 September 2004 04:05 pm, Filip Joelsson wrote:
> > !!! Problem in >=sys-apps/portage-2.0.50-r8 dependencies.
> > !!! [Errno 38] Function not implemented:
> > '/var/cache/edb/dep//sys-apps/portage-2.0.50-r9'
>
> what if you `rm -rf /var/cache/edb/dep` ? it's just a cache dir and will be
> regenerated next time you run portage (the portage command will just take
> longer the first time since there's no cache anymore)

Nope, it starts out saying:
>>> /var/cache/edb/dep doesn't exist, creating it...
And from then on it's exactly the same output.

> i just tested your script on my pentium4 x86 and on an amd64 opteron and didnt
> have any probs :/

Ok, that makes it look like it could be a hardware problem, or at least
that's what I thought first. But this is the second P2 I try to install
on. I wonder if it could something in /proc that looks wrong.

The error code I get:
[Errno 38] Function not implemented:
/var/cache/edb/dep//sys-apps/portage-2.0.50-r9
Is that python related?

Oh, and I checked that the file was there, and it was. Could you look at
it and check if it contains anything wrong? (attached)

TIA
/Filip
Attachments: portage-2.0.50-r9 (0.39 KB)


vapier at gentoo

Sep 13, 2004, 7:25 AM

Post #6 of 6 (754 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems with uclibc stage1 [In reply to]

On Monday 13 September 2004 05:04 am, Filip Joelsson wrote:
> mån 2004-09-13 klockan 02.48 skrev Mike Frysinger:
> > i just tested your script on my pentium4 x86 and on an amd64 opteron and
> > didnt have any probs :/
>
> Ok, that makes it look like it could be a hardware problem, or at least
> that's what I thought first. But this is the second P2 I try to install
> on. I wonder if it could something in /proc that looks wrong.
>
> The error code I get:
> [Errno 38] Function not implemented:
> /var/cache/edb/dep//sys-apps/portage-2.0.50-r9
> Is that python related?

the only thing i can think of is that some binary code slipped in that exists
only on pentium4's or better ... or maybe you're trying this on a 2.4 kernel
and i built the stages against 2.6 headers on a 2.6 kernel ...

dmesg doesnt show anything useful does it ?
-mike

--
gentoo-embedded [at] gentoo mailing list

Gentoo embedded RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.