Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Embedded

gdb debugging of small system built with catalyst

Gentoo embedded RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

lavi.kfir at gmail

Dec 25, 2011, 1:20 AM

gdb debugging of small system built with catalyst

Hi,
I have few directories each contains C++ code, and is mapped to a local
private ebuild.
So I need to install few projects that depend on each other.
On the target machine I have gdbserver running.
When connecting to gdbserver, the links to the sources is
/var/tmp/.../../file.cpp.
My problem is that I need to debug all programs together, and the sources
are in catalyst's tmp working directory.
I can use 'directory' command in gdb to change the search path of the
source files, but doing it to few projects is cumbersome.
I can compile the source with -g3 and embed the sources there, but didn't
try that as I heard it is unstable.
At the end I need to provide a way to allow programmers to use Eclipse with
all the directories sources to debug all projects at once.
Is there other method to do this and integrate it to Eclipse?
For start no need for eclipse, I need to debug from the command line or vim.
Regards,
Kfir

vapier at gentoo

Dec 31, 2011, 1:20 PM

Re: gdb debugging of small system built with catalyst [In reply to]

FEATURES=installsources would probably get what you need by normalizing all
source trees into /usr/src/debug/.
-mike
Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

lavi.kfir at gmail

Jan 2, 2012, 1:09 AM

Re: gdb debugging of small system built with catalyst [In reply to]

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier [at] gentoo> wrote:

> FEATURES=installsources would probably get what you need by normalizing all
> source trees into /usr/src/debug/.
> -mike

Thanks Mike,
I'm using FEATURES="installsources splitdebug"
so now I have /usr/lib/debug and /usr/src/debug, and together, I can
control the copying of debug directories to the target.
I'm now struggling connecting eclipse to debugging remote the target.
If someone have some insight for me, I'll be happy to hear it.

Thanks,
Kfir

vapier at gentoo

Jan 2, 2012, 11:31 AM

Re: gdb debugging of small system built with catalyst [In reply to]

On Monday 02 January 2012 04:09:10 Kfir Lavi wrote:
> I'm now struggling connecting eclipse to debugging remote the target.
> If someone have some insight for me, I'll be happy to hear it.

http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=debuggers
http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=toolchain:eclipse:tool-setup

you should be able to replace the Blackfin-specific stuff with whatever your
target happens to be