Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Embedded

dns problem when using uClibc

Gentoo embedded RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

abdo.a2008 at gmail

dns problem when using uClibc

Dear all

I have a problem that my dns server (bind) can resolve names, when trying to
connect using the names provided by the dns ( e.g. ping host1.example.com) I
fail. i think the problem is that uClibc has no libnss-dns shared library.
what is the solution for this problem please

thanks in advance

--
Abdolmohaimen Alsiddig Ahmed

vapier at gentoo

Re: dns problem when using uClibc [In reply to]

On Monday 25 May 2009 08:22:40 Abdolmohaimen Siddig wrote:
> I have a problem that my dns server (bind) can resolve names, when trying
> to connect using the names provided by the dns ( e.g. ping
> host1.example.com) I fail. i think the problem is that uClibc has no
> libnss-dns shared library. what is the solution for this problem please

uClibc doesnt need any of the libnss stuff that glibc provides. simply check
your /etc/resolve.conf.
-mike
Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

abdo.a2008 at gmail

dns problem when using uClibc [In reply to]

my /etc/resolv.conf is set correctly and I could resolve the names using my
dns (bind) but I could not connect to it ( the resolved name)
for example when i wrote a command like:
*# nslookup host1.example.com *
the output was like this:
*Server: 192.168.0.254
Address: 192.168.0.254#53

Name: host1.example.com
Address: 192.168.33.2

*but, when I wrote a command like this:
#* ping host1.example.com

*there was no reply and I checked the that there is no firewall rules that
denying the connection

best regards

--
Abdolmohaimen Alsiddig Ahmed
Nile Center for Technology Research

Re: dns problem when using uClibc [In reply to]

On Wednesday 27 May 2009 02:14:57 Abdolmohaimen Siddig wrote:

please do not top post

> my /etc/resolv.conf is set correctly and I could resolve the names using my
> dns (bind) but I could not connect to it ( the resolved name)
> for example when i wrote a command like:
> *# nslookup host1.example.com *
> the output was like this:
> *Server: 192.168.0.254
> Address: 192.168.0.254#53
>
> Name: host1.example.com
> Address: 192.168.33.2
>
> *but, when I wrote a command like this:
> #* ping host1.example.com
>
> *there was no reply and I checked the that there is no firewall rules that
> denying the connection

so you arent talking about DNS problems, but lack of response to ICMP packets.
the latter most likely does have anything to do with uClibc but rather your
routes/network settings and the network settings of other machines. best to
go verify on other machines (Windows or whatever) that what you're doing
actually works before worrying whether your uClibc system can do it.