Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Embedded

Android support

Gentoo embedded RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

voodookid at slight-return

Android support

Has there been any discussion of coming up with cross compiler support
for the Android platform? I know the Android SDK is in portage, I
talking about building native program against the C library the Android
platfor, Bionic. People with either rooted G1s, dev phones, or some
other platform it would be nice to have other programs on there. Here is
some CPU info:

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 2 (v6l)
BogoMIPS: 245.36
Features: swp half thumb fastmult edsp java
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 6TEJ
CPU part: 0xb36
CPU revision : 2
Cache type : write-back
Cache clean : cp15 c7 ops
Cache lockdown : format C
Cache format : Harvard
I size : 32768
I assoc : 4
I line length : 32
I sets : 256
D size : 32768
D assoc : 4
D line length : 32
D sets : 256

Hardware: trout
Revision: 0080
Serial : 0000000000000000

solar at gentoo

Re: Android support [In reply to]

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 11:21 -0700, John Lowry wrote:
> Has there been any discussion of coming up with cross compiler support
> for the Android platform?

Whats missing?
armv6j as a cross compiler works fine. You mean the java bits?

maxposedon at gmail

Re: Android support [In reply to]

On Monday 04 May 2009 21:21:07 John Lowry wrote:
> Has there been any discussion of coming up with cross compiler support
> for the Android platform? I know the Android SDK is in portage, I
> talking about building native program against the C library the Android
> platfor, Bionic. People with either rooted G1s, dev phones, or some
> other platform it would be nice to have other programs on there. Here is
> some CPU info:
>
> $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> Processor : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 2 (v6l)
> BogoMIPS: 245.36
> Features: swp half thumb fastmult edsp java
> CPU implementer : 0x41
> CPU architecture: 6TEJ
> CPU part: 0xb36
> CPU revision : 2
> Cache type : write-back
> Cache clean : cp15 c7 ops
> Cache lockdown : format C
> Cache format : Harvard
> I size : 32768
> I assoc : 4
> I line length : 32
> I sets : 256
> D size : 32768
> D assoc : 4
> D line length : 32
> D sets : 256
>
> Hardware: trout
> Revision: 0080
> Serial : 0000000000000000
Main problem with android, that it is quite big with VERY strange build steps,
if you want begin ebuild-ing them - very nice, at least Gentoo-Openmoko people
will test them.

We [Gentoo-Openmoko] also thinked about porting android to Gentoo, but it
postponed now because of others more important stuff. FSO/SHR is better than
android anyway :), and they should be ported first.

Android basically is just kernel+busybox, if I'm not mistaken they have even
separate libc (neither glibc, neither uclibc). So porting work isn't very
simple.

P.S. Neo Freerunner (gta02) where android runs too:
root [at] om-gta0 ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : ARM920T rev 0 (v4l)
BogoMIPS : 199.47
Features : swp half thumb
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 4T
CPU variant : 0x1
CPU part : 0x920
CPU revision : 0
Cache type : write-back
Cache clean : cp15 c7 ops
Cache lockdown : format A
Cache format : Harvard
I size : 16384
I assoc : 64
I line length : 32
I sets : 8
D size : 16384
D assoc : 64
D line length : 32
D sets : 8

Hardware : GTA02
Revision : 0360
Serial : 0000000000000000
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

voodookid at slight-return

Re: Android support [In reply to]

I am not sure, perhaps I framed my question improperly. How about has
anyone built a cross compiler for the android that uses Bionic as the
libc implementation? I am trying to keep the native Android system with
binaries built from portage.

Ned Ludd wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 11:21 -0700, John Lowry wrote:
>
>> Has there been any discussion of coming up with cross compiler support
>> for the Android platform?
>>

> Whats missing?
> armv6j as a cross compiler works fine. You mean the java bits?

spielc at gmail

Re: Android support [In reply to]

On 04.05.2009 20:41, John Lowry wrote:
> I am not sure, perhaps I framed my question improperly. How about has
> anyone built a cross compiler for the android that uses Bionic as the
> libc implementation? I am trying to keep the native Android system
> with binaries built from portage.
You won't be able to create a cross-compile environment using crossdev
because crossdev doesn't support bionic as c library. (at least as far
as i know?) Maybe somewhere is a ready to use cross-compile environment
that you can use to play around?

Another question: Why do you insist on using bionic? Why not use one of
the other libc-implementations that are known to work? Just as solar
said arm6j should be perfectly fine.

> Ned Ludd wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 11:21 -0700, John Lowry wrote:
>>> Has there been any discussion of coming up with cross compiler
>>> support for the Android platform?
>>
>> Whats missing? armv6j as a cross compiler works fine. You mean the
>> java bits?

peter at stuge

Re: Android support [In reply to]

Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau wrote:
> if I'm not mistaken they have even separate libc (neither glibc,
> neither uclibc).

Correct. I had a quick look and the libc has a bunch of NetBSD
strings in it.

//Peter

Gentoo embedded RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded