Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Doc

General questions about translating

Gentoo doc RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jan.kundrat at fzu

Mar 24, 2005, 3:52 PM

General questions about translating

Hi,
I'm translating Gentoo Handbook into czech (bug #85940 for those
interrested) and I'm in doubt on how much accurate the translation
should be:

1) In handbook/hb-install-system.xml is a description about glibc's
userlocales USE flag and some examples about german locales. Is it OK to
convert these into cs_CZ? I wonder if it would break some policy or
something :-)

2) Similar thing about rsync mirrors - czech language is used only in
central Europe, so may I alter default rsync settings to
rsync.europe.gentoo.org? IMHO I can.

3) Is it possible to translate also files outside the /doc/ directory?
/main/en/mirrors.xml could be a good candidate as it is linked from
Handbok several times. This file is not included in metadoc.xml, BTW. I
see that FR has /main/fr/{about|contract}.xml, are there any special
reqquirements for those? I can imagine that Gentoo won't trust
translations of docs such closely related to mainpage submitted by
unknown user...

TIA,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth

swift at gentoo

Mar 25, 2005, 1:01 AM

Re: General questions about translating [In reply to]

Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm translating Gentoo Handbook into czech (bug #85940 for those
> interrested) and I'm in doubt on how much accurate the translation
> should be:
>
> 1) In handbook/hb-install-system.xml is a description about glibc's
> userlocales USE flag and some examples about german locales. Is it OK to
> convert these into cs_CZ? I wonder if it would break some policy or
> something :-)

That's ok, you are encouraged to make localization changes to the
installation instructions. Of course, if a language is used in several
countries, a good default is still needed.

> 2) Similar thing about rsync mirrors - czech language is used only in
> central Europe, so may I alter default rsync settings to
> rsync.europe.gentoo.org? IMHO I can.

Sure.

> 3) Is it possible to translate also files outside the /doc/ directory?
> /main/en/mirrors.xml could be a good candidate as it is linked from
> Handbok several times. This file is not included in metadoc.xml, BTW. I
> see that FR has /main/fr/{about|contract}.xml, are there any special
> reqquirements for those? I can imagine that Gentoo won't trust
> translations of docs such closely related to mainpage submitted by
> unknown user...

That's okay. Yes, you can translate such files as well, we don't mind.
But I'm not quite convinced why you would need to translate
/main/en/mirrors.xml, after all, it's just a huge sum-up of all our
mirrors and hardly has any text in it.

Plus that it is touched by many people (infa-wise) which sometimes lack
understanding of "version bumping" (although this has dramatically
improved lately).

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen

--
^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good.
(oo) Sven Vermeulen

jan.kundrat at fzu

Mar 25, 2005, 1:03 AM

Re: General questions about translating [In reply to]

Jan Kundrát wrote:

Sorry for double-post, please ignore the other message.

BTW, everytime I send message to gentoo-doc, I got a bounce from
gordon [at] 23s: