Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Doc

Punting the modular X documentation

 

 

Gentoo doc RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


nightmorph at gentoo

Nov 9, 2008, 7:32 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2113 views)
Permalink
Punting the modular X documentation

It's been long enough since Xorg 6.8 --> 6.9 and newer that we no longer
need to keep the Migrating to Modular X/Porting Applications to Modular
X at the top of our Desktop Documentation Resources page, nor anywhere
at all, really.

Whattaya say to punting them from that list? Not just removing them from
metadoc.xml, but also any inter-document references, such as from
xorg-config.xml and anything else in /doc/.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


swift at gentoo

Nov 9, 2008, 10:13 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1977 views)
Permalink
Re: Punting the modular X documentation [In reply to]

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:32 AM, Josh Saddler <nightmorph [at] gentoo> wrote:
> It's been long enough since Xorg 6.8 --> 6.9 and newer that we no longer
> need to keep the Migrating to Modular X/Porting Applications to Modular
> X at the top of our Desktop Documentation Resources page, nor anywhere
> at all, really.
>
> Whattaya say to punting them from that list? Not just removing them from
> metadoc.xml, but also any inter-document references, such as from
> xorg-config.xml and anything else in /doc/.

I'm not sure removing it from metadoc is wise. You never know what old
systems people are still using who eventually need to be upgraded.
Nevertheless, it would be at least wise to put it lower in the listing
(and of course remove the inter-document references).

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen


nightmorph at gentoo

Nov 9, 2008, 10:38 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1974 views)
Permalink
Re: Punting the modular X documentation [In reply to]

Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:32 AM, Josh Saddler <nightmorph [at] gentoo> wrote:
>> It's been long enough since Xorg 6.8 --> 6.9 and newer that we no longer
>> need to keep the Migrating to Modular X/Porting Applications to Modular
>> X at the top of our Desktop Documentation Resources page, nor anywhere
>> at all, really.
>>
>> Whattaya say to punting them from that list? Not just removing them from
>> metadoc.xml, but also any inter-document references, such as from
>> xorg-config.xml and anything else in /doc/.
>
> I'm not sure removing it from metadoc is wise. You never know what old
> systems people are still using who eventually need to be upgraded.
> Nevertheless, it would be at least wise to put it lower in the listing
> (and of course remove the inter-document references).

My reasoning for removing it was that users are starting to get confused
when they read about it, when they shouldn't ever need to know there
used to be a different way of doing it. Check the forums for the
confusion and questions.

Anyway, I moved migrating-to-modular-x to upgrade and desktop_install,
just like the existing upgrade-gnome-foo guide. And I moved the
porting-to-modular-x guide to Gentoo development documentation. It's
just better there; it has no business in an end-user configuration
category like Desktop.

If we had a project-specific section for /proj/en/desktop/ or /x/, I
would just dump them there and be done with it. :)

As it is, I'm finishing up by editing xorg-config.xml to remove
references to the modular guides. It needed overhaul anyway; it still
references X11R6 in some places....
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


jkt at gentoo

Nov 11, 2008, 11:21 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1965 views)
Permalink
Re: Punting the modular X documentation [In reply to]

Josh Saddler wrote:
> My reasoning for removing it was that users are starting to get confused
> when they read about it, when they shouldn't ever need to know there
> used to be a different way of doing it. Check the forums for the
> confusion and questions.

Make it clearer that it only applies to older versions of Xorg, then.

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
Attachments: signature.asc (0.25 KB)

Gentoo doc RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.