Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Dev

Graveyard overlay (was: Re: last rites: games-strategy/x2, games-strategy/x2-demo)

Gentoo dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

yngwin at gentoo

Feb 13, 2013, 9:09 PM

On 14 February 2013 08:08, Florian Philipp <lists [at] binarywings> wrote:
> Am 14.02.2013 00:07, schrieb Brian Dolbec:
>>
>> Easy, just copy the ebuild and any patches in the files subdir to a
>> local overlay.
>>

> Which brings us back to the old discussion on what good it does for one
> person to do the work of masking and removing and N persons to do the
> work of creating an overlay instead of just letting the package rot in
> the tree until it is actually broken. But I guess everyone's pretty
> tired of that discussion so let's leave it at that.

Okay, let's do this. Since the users don't seem to be able to organize
themselves, I have taken the initiative to set this up. Currently
there is the graveyard overlay on github, and I will be opening the
required bug reports to get this mirrored on git.overlays.gentoo.org
and included in layman's overlay list.

I need two things:

1. Users volunteering some time to keep this running
2. Agreement on a place to host tarballs no longer hosted upstream

People who are interested can contact me in the #gentoo-dev-help
channel on Freenode.

Ben | yngwin
Gentoo developer
Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin

xmw at gentoo

Feb 13, 2013, 11:26 PM

Re: Graveyard overlay (was: Re: last rites: games-strategy/x2, games-strategy/x2-demo) [In reply to]

On 02/14/2013 06:09 AM, Ben de Groot wrote:

> I need two things:
>
> 1. Users volunteering some time to keep this running
> 2. Agreement on a place to host tarballs no longer hosted upstream

i'm all in.

--
Michael Weber
Gentoo Developer

lists at binarywings

Feb 13, 2013, 11:53 PM

Re: Graveyard overlay (was: Re: last rites: games-strategy/x2, games-strategy/x2-demo) [In reply to]

Am 14.02.2013 08:26, schrieb Michael Weber:
> On 02/14/2013 06:09 AM, Ben de Groot wrote:
>
>> I need two things:
>>
>> 1. Users volunteering some time to keep this running
>> 2. Agreement on a place to host tarballs no longer hosted upstream
>
> i'm all in.

Me too. Having a central, semi-official place is probably the best solution.

Regards,
Florian Philipp
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

joost at antarean

Feb 14, 2013, 2:00 AM

Re: Graveyard overlay (was: Re: last rites: games-strategy/x2, games-strategy/x2-demo) [In reply to]

On Thursday 14 February 2013 08:53:45 Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 14.02.2013 08:26, schrieb Michael Weber:
> > On 02/14/2013 06:09 AM, Ben de Groot wrote:
> >> I need two things:
> >>
> >> 1. Users volunteering some time to keep this running
> >> 2. Agreement on a place to host tarballs no longer hosted upstream
> >
> > i'm all in.
>
> Me too. Having a central, semi-official place is probably the best solution.

Same here.

I'm also expecting " games-strategy/x3 " to go the same way.

--
Joost Roeleveld

george at gentoo

Feb 14, 2013, 4:25 AM

Re: Graveyard overlay (was: Re: last rites: games-strategy/x2, games-strategy/x2-demo) [In reply to]

On Thursday 14 February 2013 13:09:15 Ben de Groot wrote:
> Okay, let's do this. Since the users don't seem to be able to organize
> themselves, I have taken the initiative to set this up. Currently
> there is the graveyard overlay on github, and I will be opening the
> required bug reports to get this mirrored on git.overlays.gentoo.org
> and included in layman's overlay list.
Um, what about the sunset overlay? IIRC, it was used/intended primarily for
this purpose. Is it still alive? (haven't heard it mentioned in a while and
layman seems to list onyl sunrise)

yngwin at gentoo

Feb 14, 2013, 5:03 AM

Re: Graveyard overlay (was: Re: last rites: games-strategy/x2, games-strategy/x2-demo) [In reply to]

On 14 February 2013 20:25, George Shapovalov <george [at] gentoo> wrote:
> Um, what about the sunset overlay? IIRC, it was used/intended primarily for
> this purpose. Is it still alive? (haven't heard it mentioned in a while and
> layman seems to list onyl sunrise)

You probably mean kde-sunset, which is specifically for Qt3/KDE3.
But I guess we could consider merging kde-sunset with graveyard.

Ben | yngwin
Gentoo developer
Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin

george at gentoo

Feb 14, 2013, 7:33 AM

Re: Graveyard overlay (was: Re: last rites: games-strategy/x2, games-strategy/x2-demo) [In reply to]

On Thursday 14 February 2013 21:03:55 Ben de Groot wrote:
> On 14 February 2013 20:25, George Shapovalov <george [at] gentoo> wrote:
> > Um, what about the sunset overlay? IIRC, it was used/intended primarily
> > for
> > this purpose. Is it still alive? (haven't heard it mentioned in a while
> > and
> > layman seems to list onyl sunrise)
>
> You probably mean kde-sunset, which is specifically for Qt3/KDE3.
> But I guess we could consider merging kde-sunset with graveyard.
Nope, plain sunset.
At the time when the sunrise overlay was making a lot of noise (some 5 years
ago?) there was a talk about sunset one. I don't remember details any more and
it is absent from layman, so it could have been just talk without anything
following it..

axs at gentoo

Feb 14, 2013, 7:57 AM

Re: Graveyard overlay (was: Re: last rites: games-strategy/x2, games-strategy/x2-demo) [In reply to]

hwoarang at gentoo

Feb 14, 2013, 8:30 AM

Re: Graveyard overlay (was: Re: last rites: games-strategy/x2, games-strategy/x2-demo) [In reply to]

On 14 February 2013 15:57, Ian Stakenvicius <axs [at] gentoo> wrote:

Last time I checked, the sunrise overlay was very much alive. It's
purpose is not to store old ebuilds (per se). It keeps high-quality
(because they are reviewed by devs and users before they appear in the
main branch) ebuilds that are not in portage tree. I think that the
sunrise devs would reject ebuilds that got removed from tree for
obvious reasons (dead upstream, broken etc etc)

Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang

lists at binarywings

Feb 14, 2013, 8:37 AM

Re: Graveyard overlay (was: Re: last rites: games-strategy/x2, games-strategy/x2-demo) [In reply to]

Am 14.02.2013 17:30, schrieb Markos Chandras:

> I remember it too (and I think i mentioned it a couple of weeks ago).
> I believe the sunset overlay was deprecated in favour of the attic
> being made more easily available (also probably because no dev's had
> time to maintain/administer it)
>

> Last time I checked, the sunrise overlay was very much alive. It's
> purpose is not to store old ebuilds (per se). It keeps high-quality
> (because they are reviewed by devs and users before they appear in the
> main branch) ebuilds that are not in portage tree. I think that the
> sunrise devs would reject ebuilds that got removed from tree for
> obvious reasons (dead upstream, broken etc etc)

Read again. It's sunset, not sunrise. :-)
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

hwoarang at gentoo

Feb 14, 2013, 8:40 AM

Re: Graveyard overlay (was: Re: last rites: games-strategy/x2, games-strategy/x2-demo) [In reply to]

On 14 February 2013 16:37, Florian Philipp <lists [at] binarywings> wrote:
> Am 14.02.2013 17:30, schrieb Markos Chandras:

>> I remember it too (and I think i mentioned it a couple of weeks ago).
>> I believe the sunset overlay was deprecated in favour of the attic
>> being made more easily available (also probably because no dev's had
>> time to maintain/administer it)
>>

>> Last time I checked, the sunrise overlay was very much alive. It's
>> purpose is not to store old ebuilds (per se). It keeps high-quality
>> (because they are reviewed by devs and users before they appear in the
>> main branch) ebuilds that are not in portage tree. I think that the
>> sunrise devs would reject ebuilds that got removed from tree for
>> obvious reasons (dead upstream, broken etc etc)
>>

> Read again. It's sunset, not sunrise. :-)

Oops indeed :-/