Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Dev

skel.ebuild cosmetics (move RESTRICT after DEPEND)

Gentoo dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ssuominen at gentoo

skel.ebuild cosmetics (move RESTRICT after DEPEND)

If you `vim foo.ebuild` the default template will automatically include
lines for DEPEND and RDEPEND, but not for RESTRICT

Therefore I suggest we move this example a bit down in skel.ebuild as
it's more logical to continue with new lines instead of applying in-between

Any objections?
Attachments: skel.ebuild.patch (0.87 KB)

mr_bones_ at gentoo

Re: skel.ebuild cosmetics (move RESTRICT after DEPEND) [In reply to]

I prefer it right after IUSE which is where it currently is in skel.ebuild.

ulm at gentoo

Re: skel.ebuild cosmetics (move RESTRICT after DEPEND) [In reply to]

> If you `vim foo.ebuild` the default template will automatically
> include lines for DEPEND and RDEPEND, but not for RESTRICT

Are we now using behaviour of editors as a reference? With Emacs or
XEmacs, the template includes RESTRICT and places it before DEPEND and
RDEPEND.

> Therefore I suggest we move this example a bit down in skel.ebuild
> as it's more logical to continue with new lines instead of applying
> in-between

> Any objections?

Yes. Please leave it as it is.

Ulrich

ssuominen at gentoo

Re: skel.ebuild cosmetics (move RESTRICT after DEPEND) [In reply to]

On 05/07/2012 01:27 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

>> If you `vim foo.ebuild` the default template will automatically
>> include lines for DEPEND and RDEPEND, but not for RESTRICT
>
> Are we now using behaviour of editors as a reference? With Emacs or
> XEmacs, the template includes RESTRICT and places it before DEPEND and
> RDEPEND.

I would rather see RESTRICT dropped from the template included for
emacs, because it's not expected for majority of ebuilds to have need
for it (a fact).
The template for emacs should be kept in sync with the example for vim
(or whichever way around).

>> Therefore I suggest we move this example a bit down in skel.ebuild
>> as it's more logical to continue with new lines instead of applying
>> in-between
>
>> Any objections?
>
> Yes. Please leave it as it is.

Yeah, I will if someone has a (good) argument for doing so.

ulm at gentoo

Re: skel.ebuild cosmetics (move RESTRICT after DEPEND) [In reply to]

> On 05/07/2012 01:27 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
>> Are we now using behaviour of editors as a reference? With Emacs or
>> XEmacs, the template includes RESTRICT and places it before DEPEND
>> and RDEPEND.

> I would rather see RESTRICT dropped from the template included for
> emacs, because it's not expected for majority of ebuilds to have
> need for it (a fact).

So what? Then you just leave the variable empty. The template (or
rather "skeleton" in Emacs' terms) knows that the RESTRICT variable is
optional and will automatically remove the line.

> The template for emacs should be kept in sync with the example for
> vim (or whichever way around).

The skeleton for Emacs is kept in sync with skel.ebuild and the
devmanual, of course. I don't use vim and therefore I don't know what
its template does.

>>> Therefore I suggest we move this example a bit down in skel.ebuild
>>> as it's more logical to continue with new lines instead of applying
>>> in-between
>>
>>> Any objections?
>>
>> Yes. Please leave it as it is.

> Yeah, I will if someone has a (good) argument for doing so.

RESTRICT and PROPERTIES are on a single line and it's natural to add
them to the second group of such variables, namely LICENSE, SLOT,
KEYWORDS, and IUSE.

Whereas DEPEND and RDEPEND typically extend over several lines;
sometimes they are quite long. So, a RESTRICT line placed after
*DEPEND will be much more easily missed than in its current place.

Ulrich

dilfridge at gentoo

Re: skel.ebuild cosmetics (move RESTRICT after DEPEND) [In reply to]

Am Montag 07 Mai 2012, 01:24:39 schrieb Ulrich Mueller:
> > On 05/07/2012 01:27 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> >> Are we now using behaviour of editors as a reference? With Emacs or
> >> XEmacs, the template includes RESTRICT and places it before DEPEND
> >> and RDEPEND.
> >
> > I would rather see RESTRICT dropped from the template included for
> > emacs, because it's not expected for majority of ebuilds to have
> > need for it (a fact).
>
> So what? Then you just leave the variable empty. The template (or
> rather "skeleton" in Emacs' terms) knows that the RESTRICT variable is
> optional and will automatically remove the line.
>
> > The template for emacs should be kept in sync with the example for
> > vim (or whichever way around).
>
> The skeleton for Emacs is kept in sync with skel.ebuild and the
> devmanual, of course. I don't use vim and therefore I don't know what
> its template does.

> >> Yes. Please leave it as it is.
> >
> > Yeah, I will if someone has a (good) argument for doing so.
>
> RESTRICT and PROPERTIES are on a single line and it's natural to add
> them to the second group of such variables, namely LICENSE, SLOT,
> KEYWORDS, and IUSE.
>
> Whereas DEPEND and RDEPEND typically extend over several lines;
> sometimes they are quite long. So, a RESTRICT line placed after
> *DEPEND will be much more easily missed than in its current place.

This entire ridiculous discussion just makes me convinced that it's best to

* use neither vi nor emacs
* and stick to my own personal preference of variable order, which is not
identical to either.

Eat this!

--

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer

vapier at gentoo

Re: skel.ebuild cosmetics (move RESTRICT after DEPEND) [In reply to]

On Sunday 06 May 2012 17:56:41 Michael Sterrett wrote:
> I prefer it right after IUSE which is where it currently is in skel.ebuild.

this
-mike
Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

ssuominen at gentoo

Re: skel.ebuild cosmetics (move RESTRICT after DEPEND) [In reply to]

On 05/07/2012 02:24 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

>>> Yes. Please leave it as it is.
>
>> Yeah, I will if someone has a (good) argument for doing so.
>
> RESTRICT and PROPERTIES are on a single line and it's natural to add
> them to the second group of such variables, namely LICENSE, SLOT,
> KEYWORDS, and IUSE.
>
> Whereas DEPEND and RDEPEND typically extend over several lines;
> sometimes they are quite long. So, a RESTRICT line placed after
> *DEPEND will be much more easily missed than in its current place.

Oh well, you have a point here. I'll just leave it as is and adjust my
own behavior accordingly instead.

Case closed.

reavertm at gmail

Re: skel.ebuild cosmetics (move RESTRICT after DEPEND) [In reply to]

On Monday 07 of May 2012 10:32:45 Samuli Suominen wrote:

> >> Yeah, I will if someone has a (good) argument for doing so.
> >
> > RESTRICT and PROPERTIES are on a single line and it's natural to add
> > them to the second group of such variables, namely LICENSE, SLOT,
> > KEYWORDS, and IUSE.
> >
> > Whereas DEPEND and RDEPEND typically extend over several lines;
> > sometimes they are quite long. So, a RESTRICT line placed after
> > *DEPEND will be much more easily missed than in its current place.

And I use quite different 'rule' where to place variables:
- to separate frequently changed ones (KEYWORDS, IUSE) with rather invariant
ones (SLOT, LICENSE)

Rationale:
It generates smaller diffs (and less conflicts when doing semi-automatic
merges of ebuild changes between branches as those are likely both IUSE and
KEYWORDS changes, KEYWORDS changes are rarely desired to be included in merge,
if IUSE is just below the line with KEYWORDS, KEYWORD change will be
accidentally taken in)

--
regards
MM