Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Dev

remove cups from releases/make.defaults ?

Gentoo dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

hasufell at gentoo

remove cups from releases/make.defaults ?

# grep ^USE /usr/portage/profiles/releases/make.defaults
USE="acl cups gdbm gpm nptl nptlonly sysfs unicode"

This is used by "/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/10.0" for
example, so I have "cups" in default NON-DESKTOP profile like it was a
mandatory useflag.

Is it? I don't even have a printer and expect that profile to be the
very minimum.

This would rather be a useflag for targets/desktop/make.defaults imo.

I see a similar discussion has happened 2 years ago, but I don't see a
solution there.

yngwin at gmail

Re: remove cups from releases/make.defaults ? [In reply to]

On 6 May 2012 04:45, hasufell <hasufell [at] gentoo> wrote:
> # grep ^USE /usr/portage/profiles/releases/make.defaults
> USE="acl cups gdbm gpm nptl nptlonly sysfs unicode"
>
> This is used by "/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/10.0" for
> example, so I have "cups" in default NON-DESKTOP profile like it was a
> mandatory useflag.
>
> Is it? I don't even have a printer and expect that profile to be the
> very minimum.
>
> This would rather be a useflag for targets/desktop/make.defaults imo.
>
> I see a similar discussion has happened 2 years ago, but I don't see a
> solution there.

I would argue (and I did 2 years ago) that it doesn't belong even in
the desktop profile. I'm certainly not the only desktop user who
hasn't had a printer in years.

Cheers,
Ben | yngwin

vaeth at mathematik

Re: remove cups from releases/make.defaults ? [In reply to]

On Sat, 5 May 2012, hasufell wrote:

> # grep ^USE /usr/portage/profiles/releases/make.defaults
> USE="acl cups gdbm gpm nptl nptlonly sysfs unicode"
>
> This is used by "/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/10.0" for
> example, so I have "cups" in default NON-DESKTOP profile like it was a
> mandatory useflag.

When you are at it: Why is USE=gdbm there?

Even desktops run fine without sys-libs/gdbm nowadays; even sys-libs/db
is only needed on desktops if you use libreoffice (in contrast to e.g.
openoffice-bin where it is bundled, fortunately).

Maybe this was different when e.g. some applications (netscape?)
could use gdbm instead of berkeley's db, but nowadays, when many
applications (e.g. firefox) have switched to sqlite, it seeems
that gdbm is outdated.

I have USE="-cups -gdbm ..." in make.conf on KDE desktop machines
since ages and no problems with it.

ssuominen at gentoo

Re: remove cups from releases/make.defaults ? [In reply to]

On 05/06/2012 04:58 AM, Ben wrote:
> On 6 May 2012 04:45, hasufell<hasufell [at] gentoo> wrote:
>> # grep ^USE /usr/portage/profiles/releases/make.defaults
>> USE="acl cups gdbm gpm nptl nptlonly sysfs unicode"
>>
>> This is used by "/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/10.0" for
>> example, so I have "cups" in default NON-DESKTOP profile like it was a
>> mandatory useflag.
>>
>> Is it? I don't even have a printer and expect that profile to be the
>> very minimum.
>>
>> This would rather be a useflag for targets/desktop/make.defaults imo.
>>
>> I see a similar discussion has happened 2 years ago, but I don't see a
>> solution there.
>>

> I would argue (and I did 2 years ago) that it doesn't belong even in
> the desktop profile. I'm certainly not the only desktop user who
> hasn't had a printer in years.
>
> Cheers,
> Ben | yngwin

+1 for getting rid of it everywhere in profiles, it's one of those steps
you do during installation as first thing,
set USE="-cups" (when you realize GTK+ pulling it in for printing
widgets/dialogs)

hwoarang at gentoo

Re: remove cups from releases/make.defaults ? [In reply to]

c.nicolas at gmail

Re: remove cups from releases/make.defaults ? [In reply to]

hasufell wrote:
> # grep ^USE /usr/portage/profiles/releases/make.defaults
> USE="acl cups gdbm gpm nptl nptlonly sysfs unicode"

I cannot find any description about 'nptlonly' and 'sysfs' in either
/profiles/use{,.local}.desc. Are they still used?

> This is used by "/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/10.0" for
> example, so I have "cups" in default NON-DESKTOP profile like it was a
> mandatory useflag.
>
> Is it? I don't even have a printer and expect that profile to be the
> very minimum.

+1 on that.

Thanks for cleaning up profiles!

--
Cyprien/Fulax
gentoo-lisp project contributor

Gentoo dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded