Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Dev

New category for (libre)office extensions: office-ext ?

Gentoo dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

dilfridge at gentoo

New category for (libre)office extensions: office-ext ?

Hiya,

there's a growing culture of libreoffice extensions, and (with the help of an
eclass prepared by scarabeus) it would be nice to get some of them into the
portage tree. Now we have to decide where to put them.

Suggestion: new category office-ext

What do you think?

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer

michael at orlitzky

Re: New category for (libre)office extensions: office-ext ? [In reply to]

On 05/05/12 14:40, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> there's a growing culture of libreoffice extensions, and (with the help of an
> eclass prepared by scarabeus) it would be nice to get some of them into the
> portage tree. Now we have to decide where to put them.
>
> Suggestion: new category office-ext
>
> What do you think?

No preference myself, but we already have e.g. app-emacs and www-apache
which (I guess?) reflect the fact that emacs lies under app-foo and
apache under www-bar.

That would suggest app-libreoffice?

mgorny at gentoo

Re: New category for (libre)office extensions: office-ext ? [In reply to]

On Sat, 5 May 2012 20:40:47 +0200
"Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge [at] gentoo> wrote:

> there's a growing culture of libreoffice extensions, and (with the
> help of an eclass prepared by scarabeus) it would be nice to get some
> of them into the portage tree. Now we have to decide where to put
> them.
>
> Suggestion: new category office-ext
>
> What do you think?

office-plugins, to follow suit.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

nelchael at gentoo

Re: New category for (libre)office extensions: office-ext ? [In reply to]

On 05/05/12 21:01, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 05/05/12 14:40, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
>>
>> Hiya,
>>
>> there's a growing culture of libreoffice extensions, and (with the help of an
>> eclass prepared by scarabeus) it would be nice to get some of them into the
>> portage tree. Now we have to decide where to put them.
>>
>> Suggestion: new category office-ext
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> No preference myself, but we already have e.g. app-emacs and www-apache
> which (I guess?) reflect the fact that emacs lies under app-foo and
> apache under www-bar.
>
> That would suggest app-libreoffice?

+1 on app-libreoffice if they are only for LibreOffice. Can those extensions
work with app-office/openoffice-bin?

--
Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xF6A80E46
desktop-misc, java, vim, kernel, python, apache...

hwoarang at gentoo

Re: New category for (libre)office extensions: office-ext ? [In reply to]

dilfridge at gentoo

Re: New category for (libre)office extensions: office-ext? [In reply to]

Am Samstag, 5. Mai 2012, 23:15:46 schrieb Markos Chandras:
> On 05/05/2012 08:04 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> > On Sat, 5 May 2012 20:40:47 +0200 "Andreas K. Huettel"
> >
> > <dilfridge [at] gentoo> wrote:
> >> there's a growing culture of libreoffice extensions, and (with
> >> the help of an eclass prepared by scarabeus) it would be nice to
> >> get some of them into the portage tree. Now we have to decide
> >> where to put them.
> >>
> >> Suggestion: new category office-ext
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >
> > office-plugins, to follow suit.
>
> This may be confusing as people would expect these plugins to work
> with both {open,libre}office packages. If these plugins are just for
> libreoffice then I would prefer app-libreoffice like other people have
> already suggested

I've collected information and the extensions (should) work with any office
variant, openoffice and libreoffice. To be more precise, they should work with
anything that uses the so-called "uno bridge".

This is why I like the new category "office-plugins" best... and would like to
implement that one.

Any additional objections?

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer
kde (team lead), sci, tex, arm, printing
dilfridge [at] gentoo
http://www.akhuettel.de/
Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

ulm at gentoo

Re: New category for (libre)office extensions: office-ext? [In reply to]

> I've collected information and the extensions (should) work with any
> office variant, openoffice and libreoffice. To be more precise, they
> should work with anything that uses the so-called "uno bridge".

> This is why I like the new category "office-plugins" best... and
> would like to implement that one.

Is there any chance that there will be more than one or two office-*
categories in future? If not, I think that we shouldn't introduce a
new category prefix for this. The category should be named app-*
instead.

How about app-ooo, following the naming of the virtual?

Ulrich

lu_zero at gentoo

Re: New category for (libre)office extensions: office-ext? [In reply to]

dilfridge at gentoo

Re: Re: New category for (libre)office extensions: office-ext? [In reply to]

> > I've collected information and the extensions (should) work with any
> > office variant, openoffice and libreoffice. To be more precise, they
> > should work with anything that uses the so-called "uno bridge".
> >
> > This is why I like the new category "office-plugins" best... and
> > would like to implement that one.
>
> Is there any chance that there will be more than one or two office-*
> categories in future? If not, I think that we shouldn't introduce a
> new category prefix for this. The category should be named app-*
> instead.
>
> How about app-ooo, following the naming of the virtual?
>
> Ulrich

Well... we're already breaking that rule by having lxde-base, perl-core, sec-
policy... and kde-*, rox-*, xfce-* exist only twice. So I would not handle
this requirement too strongly.

(I could e.g. imagine categories office-templates, office-filters, but that's
right now pure speculation.)

app-ooo kind of minimizes the "ah yes I know what goes there" effect.

--
Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer

jer at gentoo

Re: New category for (libre)office extensions: office-ext? [In reply to]

On Sun, 6 May 2012 18:06:35 +0200
"Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge [at] gentoo> wrote:

> I've collected information and the extensions (should) work with any
> office variant, openoffice and libreoffice. To be more precise, they
> should work with anything that uses the so-called "uno bridge".

uno-plugins/*

jer

Gentoo dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded