Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Dev

epatch_user usage

Gentoo dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

cardoe at gentoo

epatch_user usage

So I've just had one reservation when using epatch_user for allowing
users to apply patches. And that's figuring out when to run
eautoreconf. I don't necessarily want to run it unconditionally but
sometimes users have patches which touch autoconf files but my
existing patch set doesn't so I'm not calling eautoreconf. Does anyone
have a suggested way to handle this?

Thanks.
--
Doug Goldstein

ford_prefect at gentoo

Re: epatch_user usage [In reply to]

On 24 April 2012 09:15, Doug Goldstein <cardoe [at] gentoo> wrote:
> So I've just had one reservation when using epatch_user for allowing
> users to apply patches. And that's figuring out when to run
> eautoreconf. I don't necessarily want to run it unconditionally but
> sometimes users have patches which touch autoconf files but my
> existing patch set doesn't so I'm not calling eautoreconf. Does anyone
> have a suggested way to handle this?

grub2 checks for a DO_AUTORECONF env. var. to decide whether to run
eautoreconf. This does cause some QA warnings, though.

--
Arun Raghavan
http://arunraghavan.net/

mgorny at gentoo

Re: epatch_user usage [In reply to]

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 22:45:36 -0500
Doug Goldstein <cardoe [at] gentoo> wrote:

> So I've just had one reservation when using epatch_user for allowing
> users to apply patches. And that's figuring out when to run
> eautoreconf. I don't necessarily want to run it unconditionally but
> sometimes users have patches which touch autoconf files but my
> existing patch set doesn't so I'm not calling eautoreconf. Does anyone
> have a suggested way to handle this?

inherit autotools-utils

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

vapier at gentoo

Re: epatch_user usage [In reply to]

On Monday 23 April 2012 23:45:36 Doug Goldstein wrote:
> So I've just had one reservation when using epatch_user for allowing
> users to apply patches. And that's figuring out when to run
> eautoreconf. I don't necessarily want to run it unconditionally but
> sometimes users have patches which touch autoconf files but my
> existing patch set doesn't so I'm not calling eautoreconf. Does anyone
> have a suggested way to handle this?

just always call it when the user applies patches. i don't see a big deal.
epatch_user && eautoreconf
-mike
Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

tetromino at gentoo

Re: epatch_user usage [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 06:05 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 22:45:36 -0500
> Doug Goldstein <cardoe [at] gentoo> wrote:
>
> > So I've just had one reservation when using epatch_user for allowing
> > users to apply patches. And that's figuring out when to run
> > eautoreconf. I don't necessarily want to run it unconditionally but
> > sometimes users have patches which touch autoconf files but my
> > existing patch set doesn't so I'm not calling eautoreconf. Does anyone
> > have a suggested way to handle this?
>
> inherit autotools-utils

That doesn't help the numerous packages that don't ship some of the
autoconf macros they use in their source tarball, and therefore require
additional build-time dependencies (gnome-common, gtk-doc-am, and so
forth) to provide the macros needed for eautoreconf.

-Alexandre.

mgorny at gentoo

Re: epatch_user usage [In reply to]

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 00:10:30 -0400
Mike Frysinger <vapier [at] gentoo> wrote:

> On Monday 23 April 2012 23:45:36 Doug Goldstein wrote:
> > So I've just had one reservation when using epatch_user for allowing
> > users to apply patches. And that's figuring out when to run
> > eautoreconf. I don't necessarily want to run it unconditionally but
> > sometimes users have patches which touch autoconf files but my
> > existing patch set doesn't so I'm not calling eautoreconf. Does
> > anyone have a suggested way to handle this?
>
> just always call it when the user applies patches. i don't see a big
> deal. epatch_user && eautoreconf
> -mike

No configure.{ac,in} present!

Re: epatch_user usage [In reply to]

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 00:14:15 -0400
Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino [at] gentoo> wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 06:05 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 22:45:36 -0500
> > Doug Goldstein <cardoe [at] gentoo> wrote:
> >
> > > So I've just had one reservation when using epatch_user for
> > > allowing users to apply patches. And that's figuring out when to
> > > run eautoreconf. I don't necessarily want to run it
> > > unconditionally but sometimes users have patches which touch
> > > autoconf files but my existing patch set doesn't so I'm not
> > > calling eautoreconf. Does anyone have a suggested way to handle
> > > this?
> >
> > inherit autotools-utils
>
> That doesn't help the numerous packages that don't ship some of the
> autoconf macros they use in their source tarball, and therefore
> require additional build-time dependencies (gnome-common, gtk-doc-am,
> and so forth) to provide the macros needed for eautoreconf.

We can't help them unless you want the whole tree (including those
packages) to forcedly depend on them.

It's simply better just to assume: if user wants user patches, he/she
needs to have necessary deps installed.

Re: epatch_user usage [In reply to]

On Tuesday 24 April 2012 00:15:45 Michał Górny wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 00:10:30 -0400 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Monday 23 April 2012 23:45:36 Doug Goldstein wrote:
> > > So I've just had one reservation when using epatch_user for allowing
> > > users to apply patches. And that's figuring out when to run
> > > eautoreconf. I don't necessarily want to run it unconditionally but
> > > sometimes users have patches which touch autoconf files but my
> > > existing patch set doesn't so I'm not calling eautoreconf. Does
> > > anyone have a suggested way to handle this?
> >
> > just always call it when the user applies patches. i don't see a big
> > deal. epatch_user && eautoreconf
>
> No configure.{ac,in} present!

if the package doesn't have configure.{ac,in} files, then why would he be
talking about eautoreconf ?

Re: epatch_user usage [In reply to]

On Tuesday 24 April 2012 00:18:59 Michał Górny wrote:
> It's simply better just to assume: if user wants user patches, he/she
> needs to have necessary deps installed.

if the package doesn't ever run autotools itself, i think this assumption is
fine. set AUTOTOOLS_AUTO_DEPEND=no before inherting things and always run
autotools if the user applies patches. otherwise we penalize a lot of people
who don't apply custom patches.

Re: epatch_user usage [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier [at] gentoo> wrote:
> On Monday 23 April 2012 23:45:36 Doug Goldstein wrote:
>> So I've just had one reservation when using epatch_user for allowing
>> users to apply patches. And that's figuring out when to run
>> eautoreconf. I don't necessarily want to run it unconditionally but
>> sometimes users have patches which touch autoconf files but my
>> existing patch set doesn't so I'm not calling eautoreconf. Does anyone
>> have a suggested way to handle this?
>
> just always call it when the user applies patches.  i don't see a big deal.
>        epatch_user && eautoreconf
> -mike

That works. I was wondering if you guys did anything more crafty but
this is fine.

Thanks all for the input.

--
Doug Goldstein

mgorny at gentoo

Re: epatch_user usage [In reply to]

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 00:25:56 -0400
Mike Frysinger <vapier [at] gentoo> wrote:

> On Tuesday 24 April 2012 00:15:45 Michał Górny wrote:
> > >
> > > just always call it when the user applies patches. i don't see a
> > > big deal. epatch_user && eautoreconf
> >
> > No configure.{ac,in} present!
>
> if the package doesn't have configure.{ac,in} files, then why would
> he be talking about eautoreconf ?

Ah, so we're talking per-package now. Sorry, thought it would be forced
everywhere.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny
Attachments: signature.asc (0.31 KB)

dirtyepic at gentoo

Re: epatch_user usage [In reply to]

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 22:45:36 -0500
Doug Goldstein <cardoe [at] gentoo> wrote:

> So I've just had one reservation when using epatch_user for allowing
> users to apply patches. And that's figuring out when to run
> eautoreconf. I don't necessarily want to run it unconditionally but
> sometimes users have patches which touch autoconf files but my
> existing patch set doesn't so I'm not calling eautoreconf. Does anyone
> have a suggested way to handle this?

It's kind of hacky, but what about having the user `touch eautoreconf` in the
patch directory? Or a file named "post_patch" containing a list of commands
to run.

Could we detect user patches touching autoconf files somehow, maybe by
hashing them beforehand or grepping patch headers, or would this be too error
prone?

--
fonts, gcc-porting
toolchain, wxwidgets

zmedico at gentoo

Re: Re: epatch_user usage [In reply to]

On 04/25/2012 09:45 PM, Ryan Hill wrote:
> Could we detect user patches touching autoconf files somehow, maybe by
> hashing them beforehand

There's an implementation of that inside autotools-utils_src_prepare.
Zac

jer at gentoo

Re: Re: epatch_user usage [In reply to]

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 22:06:08 -0700
Zac Medico <zmedico [at] gentoo> wrote:

> On 04/25/2012 09:45 PM, Ryan Hill wrote:
> > Could we detect user patches touching autoconf files somehow, maybe
> > by hashing them beforehand
>
> There's an implementation of that inside autotools-utils_src_prepare.

There's all kinds of reasons to not use autotools-utils.eclass.
I wouldn't want to see another python.eclass bullying around the tree.

Sincerely,
jer

mgorny at gentoo

Re: Re: epatch_user usage [In reply to]

On Fri, 4 May 2012 06:50:12 +0200
Jeroen Roovers <jer [at] gentoo> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 22:06:08 -0700
> Zac Medico <zmedico [at] gentoo> wrote:
>
> > On 04/25/2012 09:45 PM, Ryan Hill wrote:
> > > Could we detect user patches touching autoconf files somehow,
> > > maybe by hashing them beforehand
> >
> > There's an implementation of that inside
> > autotools-utils_src_prepare.
>
> There's all kinds of reasons to not use autotools-utils.eclass.
> I wouldn't want to see another python.eclass bullying around the tree.

504 autotools-utils.eclass
3186 python.eclass

Do you have any real arguments?

Re: epatch_user usage [In reply to]

On Fri, 4 May 2012 22:23:31 +0200
Michał Górny <mgorny [at] gentoo> wrote:

> > There's all kinds of reasons to not use autotools-utils.eclass.
> > I wouldn't want to see another python.eclass bullying around the tree.
>
> 504 autotools-utils.eclass
> 3186 python.eclass
>
> Do you have any real arguments?

I think his point was that like the python eclass, autotools-utils requires
you to give up a lot of control over your ebuild to it. It started out as a
simple way to standardize common autotools-related tasks. Then it began
growing and adding a bunch of stuff that, while I'm sure was useful to some,
I didn't need or had to handle differently. Then these features started
becoming interdependent and I started getting bug reports about how my
packages were misusing the eclass because I didn't want to cede full control
over to its phase functions.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the reasons why it has to work the way it
does and I'm sure most people are fine with it. But I'm wary about giving
that much power over to an eclass I can't control. I hate exported phase
functions in general though, so read into that what you will.