Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Dev

Lastrite app-text/chmsee. Semi-lastrite libopensync-plugin-google-calendar.

Gentoo dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ssuominen at gentoo

Lastrite app-text/chmsee. Semi-lastrite libopensync-plugin-google-calendar.

# Samuli Suominen <ssuominen [at] gentoo> (22 Apr 2012)
# One of the last packages still using the obsolete pyxml package
# Masked for removal in 30 days wrt bug 367739
<app-pda/libopensync-plugin-google-calendar-0.39

# Samuli Suominen <ssuominen [at] gentoo> (22 Apr 2012)
# Masked for removal in 30 days for using the obsolete xulrunner
# package wrt #412875 and #403415
app-text/chmsee

xmw at gentoo

Re: Lastrite app-text/chmsee. Semi-lastrite libopensync-plugin-google-calendar. [In reply to]

yngwin at gmail

Re: Lastrite app-text/chmsee. Semi-lastrite libopensync-plugin-google-calendar. [In reply to]

On 28 April 2012 18:17, Michael Weber <xmw [at] gentoo> wrote:
> Is there any state-of-the-art(tm) alternative to read .chm ebooks? I
> wouldn't want to loose this possibility.

app-text/kchmviewer

mgorny at gentoo

Re: Lastrite app-text/chmsee. Semi-lastrite libopensync-plugin-google-calendar. [In reply to]

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 12:17:55 +0200
Michael Weber <xmw [at] gentoo> wrote:

> Is there any state-of-the-art(tm) alternative to read .chm ebooks? I
> wouldn't want to loose this possibility.

The one and only FBReader?

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

ssuominen at gentoo

Re: Lastrite app-text/chmsee. Semi-lastrite libopensync-plugin-google-calendar. [In reply to]

On 04/28/2012 01:17 PM, Michael Weber wrote:

> According to upstreams homepage [1],
> the current tagged v1.99.09 does support xulrunner 11.0.

There is no such thing as "separate" Xulrunner 11.0.

There is Firefox 11.0 but upstream stopped splitting it from Firefox and
our Firefox package doesn't ship with pkg-config files for it.

So chmsee upstream very much failed... He should switch to something
else, like webkit-gtk or gtkhtml.

- Samuli

pacho at gentoo

Re: Lastrite app-text/chmsee. Semi-lastrite libopensync-plugin-google-calendar. [In reply to]

El dom, 29-04-2012 a las 13:54 +0300, Samuli Suominen escribió:
> On 04/28/2012 01:17 PM, Michael Weber wrote:
> >
> > According to upstreams homepage [1],
> > the current tagged v1.99.09 does support xulrunner 11.0.
>
> There is no such thing as "separate" Xulrunner 11.0.
>
> There is Firefox 11.0 but upstream stopped splitting it from Firefox and
> our Firefox package doesn't ship with pkg-config files for it.
>
> So chmsee upstream very much failed... He should switch to something
> else, like webkit-gtk or gtkhtml.
>
> - Samuli

The problem is that looks like other major distributions are still
providing xulrunner (from firefox):
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=xulrunner.git;a=tree
http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/src-oss/suse/src/xulrunner-12.0-1.1.src.rpm
http://packages.debian.org/sid/xulrunner-10.0
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

ssuominen at gentoo

Re: Lastrite app-text/chmsee. Semi-lastrite libopensync-plugin-google-calendar. [In reply to]

On 04/29/2012 02:42 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> El dom, 29-04-2012 a las 13:54 +0300, Samuli Suominen escribió:
>> On 04/28/2012 01:17 PM, Michael Weber wrote:
>>>
>>> According to upstreams homepage [1],
>>> the current tagged v1.99.09 does support xulrunner 11.0.
>>
>> There is no such thing as "separate" Xulrunner 11.0.
>>
>> There is Firefox 11.0 but upstream stopped splitting it from Firefox and
>> our Firefox package doesn't ship with pkg-config files for it.
>>
>> So chmsee upstream very much failed... He should switch to something
>> else, like webkit-gtk or gtkhtml.
>>
>> - Samuli
>>

> The problem is that looks like other major distributions are still
> providing xulrunner (from firefox):
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=xulrunner.git;a=tree
> http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/src-oss/suse/src/xulrunner-12.0-1.1.src.rpm
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/xulrunner-10.0

The answer I got from Gentoo's Mozilla Team when I proposed bumping it
to latest from the Firefox tarball was that "use npapi-sdk or
spidermonkey instead".

Some which have needed more than just npapi-sdk or spidermonkey have
happily migrated to gtkhtml, or webkit-gtk.

So I don't think it really makes sense to package and **maintain**
something upstream doesn't support, therefore I'm agreeing with the
Gentoo's Mozilla Team decision on this.
So no xulrunner anymore, even if that means losing 'chmsee' and 'kiwix'.

- Samuli

sionescu at cddr

Re: Lastrite app-text/chmsee. Semi-lastrite libopensync-plugin-google-calendar. [In reply to]

On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 22:00 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
[...]
> The answer I got from Gentoo's Mozilla Team when I proposed bumping it
> to latest from the Firefox tarball was that "use npapi-sdk or
> spidermonkey instead".
>
> Some which have needed more than just npapi-sdk or spidermonkey have
> happily migrated to gtkhtml, or webkit-gtk.
>
> So I don't think it really makes sense to package and **maintain**
> something upstream doesn't support, therefore I'm agreeing with the
> Gentoo's Mozilla Team decision on this.
> So no xulrunner anymore, even if that means losing 'chmsee' and 'kiwix'.

Upstream doesn't support it, but Debian, Fedora, openSuse and other
distros do so the maintenance work would be shared

--
Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix
http://common-lisp.net/project/iolib

Re: Lastrite app-text/chmsee. Semi-lastrite libopensync-plugin-google-calendar. [In reply to]

On 04/30/2012 10:27 PM, Stelian Ionescu wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 22:00 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> [...]
>> The answer I got from Gentoo's Mozilla Team when I proposed bumping it
>> to latest from the Firefox tarball was that "use npapi-sdk or
>> spidermonkey instead".
>>
>> Some which have needed more than just npapi-sdk or spidermonkey have
>> happily migrated to gtkhtml, or webkit-gtk.
>>
>> So I don't think it really makes sense to package and **maintain**
>> something upstream doesn't support, therefore I'm agreeing with the
>> Gentoo's Mozilla Team decision on this.
>> So no xulrunner anymore, even if that means losing 'chmsee' and 'kiwix'.
>
> Upstream doesn't support it, but Debian, Fedora, openSuse and other
> distros do so the maintenance work would be shared

Debian, Fedora, and OpenSUSE as non-rolling distributions need to keep
Firefox up-to-date for security.
I suspect this is the main reason they have ended up rolling this type
of xulrunner package. (For backward compat.)
We don't really have that "problem", as we can stabilize things much
faster, and phase out xulrunner and it's consumers much faster.

dirtyepic at gentoo

Re: Lastrite app-text/chmsee. Semi-lastrite libopensync-plugin-google-calendar. [In reply to]

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 12:17:55 +0200
Michael Weber <xmw [at] gentoo> wrote:

> According to upstreams homepage [1],
> the current tagged v1.99.09 does support xulrunner 11.0.
>
> @dirtyepic: Any chance to bump the version in portage?
> I can take a look (and grab this package).

From the bug report it sounded like xulrunner is going away completely.

> Is there any state-of-the-art(tm) alternative to read .chm ebooks? I
> wouldn't want to loose this possibility.

I also maintain kchmviewer and xchm and I think there are a couple other
non-dedicated readers that support it. Are there any features chmsee has that
these are missing? I added chmsee to replace gnochm but I don't think I've
ever used it. I use xchm for my collection. It's tech books and manuals
though, nothing too extravagant. It doesn't release often but upstream is
responsive.

--
fonts, gcc-porting
toolchain, wxwidgets

Re: Re: Lastrite app-text/chmsee. Semi-lastrite libopensync-plugin-google-calendar. [In reply to]

Gentoo dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded