Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Dev

RFC: Adding ParaType Free Font License to tree

Gentoo dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

maksbotan at gentoo

RFC: Adding ParaType Free Font License to tree

Hi,
We had Paratype fonts in tree for some time (media-fonts/paratype)
with OFL license. Recently they added bold font variant to PTMono font
with their own license [1], but OFL font tarball was left unchanged.
We tried to reach upstream with this question, but as for now no
answer was got.
So the question is: can Paratype FreeFont license be added to tree as
/usr/portage/licenses/paratype?

[1] http://www.paratype.com/public/pt_openlicense_eng.asp

ulm at gentoo

Re: RFC: Adding ParaType Free Font License to tree [In reply to]

> We had Paratype fonts in tree for some time (media-fonts/paratype)
> with OFL license. Recently they added bold font variant to PTMono font
> with their own license [1], but OFL font tarball was left unchanged.
> We tried to reach upstream with this question, but as for now no
> answer was got.

> So the question is: can Paratype FreeFont license be added to tree as
> /usr/portage/licenses/paratype?

I don't see any reason why it couldn't.

It looks like a simplified version of the OFL license, so it could
even be included in @MISC-FREE in profiles/license_groups.

Ulrich

Re: RFC: Adding ParaType Free Font License to tree [In reply to]

25 апреля 2012 г. 9:53 пользователь Ulrich Mueller <ulm [at] gentoo> написал:

>> We had Paratype fonts in tree for some time (media-fonts/paratype)
>> with OFL license. Recently they added bold font variant to PTMono font
>> with their own license [1], but OFL font tarball was left unchanged.
>> We tried to reach upstream with this question, but as for now no
>> answer was got.
>
>> So the question is: can Paratype FreeFont license be added to tree as
>> /usr/portage/licenses/paratype?
>
> I don't see any reason why it couldn't.
>
> It looks like a simplified version of the OFL license, so it could
> even be included in @MISC-FREE in profiles/license_groups.
>
> Ulrich

So, just to clairfy. I create file 'paratype' in gentoo-x86/licenses,
paste there text of license and then commit? and who adds it to
license_groups?

--
Regards, Maxim.

ulm at gentoo

Re: RFC: Adding ParaType Free Font License to tree [In reply to]

>>> So the question is: can Paratype FreeFont license be added to tree
>>> as /usr/portage/licenses/paratype?
>>
>> I don't see any reason why it couldn't.
>>
>> It looks like a simplified version of the OFL license, so it could
>> even be included in @MISC-FREE in profiles/license_groups.

> So, just to clairfy. I create file 'paratype' in gentoo-x86/licenses,
> paste there text of license and then commit?

Right. If it exists, you should preferably take the license or copying
file from the package's tarball. (Make sure that it's utf-8 encoded.)

> and who adds it to license_groups?

Please wait for a another few days if anybody will raise objections,
then you can add it yourself.

Ulrich

maksbotan at gentoo

Re: RFC: Adding ParaType Free Font License to tree [In reply to]

25 апреля 2012 г. 15:47 пользователь Ulrich Mueller <ulm [at] gentoo> написал:

>>> I don't see any reason why it couldn't.
>>>
>>> It looks like a simplified version of the OFL license, so it could
>>> even be included in @MISC-FREE in profiles/license_groups.
>
>> So, just to clairfy. I create file 'paratype' in gentoo-x86/licenses,
>> paste there text of license and then commit?
>
> Right. If it exists, you should preferably take the license or copying
> file from the package's tarball. (Make sure that it's utf-8 encoded.)
>
>> and who adds it to license_groups?
>
> Please wait for a another few days if anybody will raise objections,
> then you can add it yourself.
>
> Ulrich

Well, they updated their OFL version of fonts, so license is not
needed now :) Anyway, thanks for help.

Gentoo dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded