Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: AMD64

FAT tools, where ?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Gentoo amd64 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

alain.didierjean at free

Dec 2, 2009, 7:42 AM

FAT tools, where ?

I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the package to
which they belong. Help welcome...

rich0 at gentoo

Dec 2, 2009, 8:03 AM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

alain.didierjean [at] free wrote:
> I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the package to
> which they belong. Help welcome...

dosfstools

Maybe we should get flameeyes to re-implement portage file search since
he's already building everything for the tinderbox anyway... :)

wired at gentoo

Dec 2, 2009, 8:04 AM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 04:42:17PM +0100, alain.didierjean [at] free wrote:
> I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the package to
> which they belong. Help welcome...

sys-fs/dosfstools

:)

--
Alex Alexander :: wired
Gentoo Developer

Carsten.Hajunga at gmx

Dec 2, 2009, 8:07 AM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

sys-fs/dosfstools

Am Mittwoch, 2. Dezember 2009 16:42:17 schrieb alain.didierjean [at] free:
> I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the
> package to which they belong. Help welcome...

i92guboj at terra

Dec 2, 2009, 8:26 AM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:42:17 +0100, alain.didierjean [at] free wrote:
> I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the
> package to
> which they belong. Help welcome...

sys-fs/dosfstools

--
Jesús Guerrero

ronisbr at gmail

Dec 2, 2009, 9:08 AM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

Hi,

I think it should be sys-fs/dosfstools.

Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas
Control and Automation Engineer
Gentoo Foundation Member

Em Quarta-feira 02 Dezembro 2009, às 13:42:17, alain.didierjean [at] free escreveu:
> I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the package to
> which they belong. Help welcome...

Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

zuboskal14 at gmail

Dec 2, 2009, 9:09 AM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

sys-fs/dosfstools

2009/12/2 <alain.didierjean [at] free>

> I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the
> package to
> which they belong. Help welcome...

--
brgds

jsled at asynchronous

Dec 2, 2009, 9:15 AM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

alain.didierjean [at] free writes:
> I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the package to
> which they belong. Help welcome...

jsled [at] phoeni [~]$ eix -S vfat
* sys-fs/dosfstools
Available versions: 3.0.1!t ~3.0.2!t ~3.0.5!t
Homepage: http://www.daniel-baumann.ch/software/dosfstools/

...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}

anorexicsumo at gmail

Dec 2, 2009, 9:49 AM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:42 AM, <alain.didierjean [at] free> wrote:

> I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the
> package to
> which they belong. Help welcome...

i believe dosfstools

# equery belongs mkfs.vfat
* Searching for mkfs.vfat ...
sys-fs/dosfstools-3.0.5 (/usr/sbin/mkfs.vfat -> mkdosfs)

dosfstools it is.

--
aim: cyst23 <-- this is utter bullshit
skype: anosumo

Cotton candy, sweet and low, let me see that tootsie roll

marko.obrovac at gmail

Dec 2, 2009, 10:04 AM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

Seems like you're looking for sys-fs/dosfstools

Homepage: http://www.daniel-baumann.ch/software/dosfstools/
mkfs.vfat

Cheers,

Marko Obrovac
http://www.linkedin.com/in/doorman

2009/12/2 <alain.didierjean [at] free>

> I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the
> package to
> which they belong. Help welcome...

realnc at arcor

Dec 2, 2009, 10:20 AM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

On 12/02/2009 05:42 PM, alain.didierjean [at] free wrote:
> I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the package to
> which they belong. Help welcome...

sys-fs/dosfstools

chemoelectric at chemoelectric

Dec 2, 2009, 10:50 AM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

How to fish:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=ALL+mkfs.vfat
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:gentoo.org+fsck.vfat

:)

justin at j-schmitz

Dec 2, 2009, 12:38 PM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

alain.didierjean [at] free wrote:
> I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the package to
> which they belong. Help welcome...

sys-fs/dosfstools

To find that out you can use e-file from app-portage/pfl or search
directly at http://www.portagefilelist.de/index.php/Special:PFLQuery2
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

juangiordana at gmail

Dec 2, 2009, 11:31 PM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

alain.didierjean [at] free wrote:
> I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the package to
> which they belong. Help welcome...

sys-fs/dosfstools :P

justin at j-schmitz

Dec 3, 2009, 4:05 AM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

alain.didierjean [at] free schrieb:
> I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the package to
> which they belong. Help welcome...

I got one more:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=gentoo+mkfs.vfat+fsck.vfat+tools

;) , don't cry, I just love this page!
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

1i5t5.duncan at cox

Dec 3, 2009, 1:46 PM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

Juan Fco. Giordana posted on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 07:31:01 +0000 as excerpted:

> alain.didierjean [at] free wrote:
>> I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the
>> package to which they belong. Help welcome...
>

> sys-fs/dosfstools :P

LOL. Didn't know we had that many list readers!

(FWIW, I format everything reiserfs or ext2/3/4, here, and haven't used
fat, at least not to the degree I'd need to fsck or mkfs it, if someone
not on Linux needs a file, it goes by net and they download it to their
own fs, since my Mandrake days at least (I switched to Gentoo in early
2004), so was perhaps one of the few here that did /not/ know what
package those utilities were in.)

realnc at arcor

Dec 3, 2009, 4:20 PM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

On 12/03/2009 11:46 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Juan Fco. Giordana posted on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 07:31:01 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> alain.didierjean [at] free wrote:
>>> I need vfat tools (mkfs.vfat, fsck.vfat...) and can't figure out the
>>> package to which they belong. Help welcome...
>>

>> sys-fs/dosfstools :P
>
> LOL. Didn't know we had that many list readers!

I think the problem here is the increased hiccup frequency of GMane
lately :P At the time we posted "dosfstools" most didn't even see that
other people already replied with the same thing.

jsled at asynchronous

Dec 3, 2009, 4:26 PM

Re: Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

Nikos Chantziaras <realnc [at] arcor> writes:
> I think the problem here is the increased hiccup frequency of GMane lately :P
> At the time we posted "dosfstools" most didn't even see that other people
> already replied with the same thing.

It was not gmane. I saw the same delay being a traditionally-subscribed
user, and was the reason I replied, too.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}

chemoelectric at chemoelectric

Dec 3, 2009, 6:36 PM

Re: Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

Duncan <1i5t5.duncan [at] cox> skribis:
> (FWIW, I format everything reiserfs or ext2/3/4, here, and haven't used
> fat, at least not to the degree I'd need to fsck or mkfs it, if someone
> not on Linux needs a file, it goes by net and they download it to their
> own fs, since my Mandrake days at least (I switched to Gentoo in early
> 2004), so was perhaps one of the few here that did /not/ know what
> package those utilities were in.)

Depending on what the DOS fs stuff is for, sys-fs/ntfs3g might be a
better option, anyway, though I have a vfat partition from before I
discovered ntfs3g, and would keep dosfstools (and the kernel support)
and/or mtools around anyway, for working with those very occasional
floppies.

frank.peters at comcast

Dec 3, 2009, 8:57 PM

Re: Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 20:36:48 -0600
Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric [at] chemoelectric> wrote:

> Depending on what the DOS fs stuff is for, sys-fs/ntfs3g might be a
> better option, anyway, though I have a vfat partition from before I
> discovered ntfs3g, and would keep dosfstools (and the kernel support)
> and/or mtools around anyway, for working with those very occasional
> floppies.

It's not just floppies. FAT still has a major use for formatting
memory cards in digital cameras. If one is going to process digital
images with Linux one had better have the ability to handle FAT
partitions.

Frank Peters

1i5t5.duncan at cox

Dec 3, 2009, 9:37 PM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

Barry Schwartz posted on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:36:48 -0600 as excerpted:

> Depending on what the DOS fs stuff is for, sys-fs/ntfs3g might be a
> better option, anyway, though I have a vfat partition from before I
> discovered ntfs3g, and would keep dosfstools (and the kernel support)
> and/or mtools around anyway, for working with those very occasional
> floppies.

As I said, I've been formatting those ext2. Now that ext4 is available
without journaling, perhaps I'll eventually switch to it.

The only other thing I do with floppies is copy premade FreeDOS images to
them, for stuff like flashing BIOSs. My board is now EOLed and no more
flashes for it, but I had a clean 1.44 floppy FreeDOS OEM image that I'd
copy, loopback-mount the copy, copy in the new flash executable and BIOS
bin image, umount, dd the image direct to /dev/fd0, verify it, then boot
to the floppy and flash the BIOS. Unfortunately, the last one I did
killed the BIOS as I had a stick of bad memory that caused it to write
corruption, so I had to order from Cali a new BIOS chip flashed to the
last update, but until then, the system worked well. But other than
that, the only floppies I've done for years have been ext2.

lie.1296 at gmail

Dec 3, 2009, 10:14 PM

Re: Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

On 12/4/2009 3:57 PM, Frank Peters wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 20:36:48 -0600
> Barry Schwartz<chemoelectric [at] chemoelectric> wrote:
>> Depending on what the DOS fs stuff is for, sys-fs/ntfs3g might be a
>> better option, anyway, though I have a vfat partition from before I
>> discovered ntfs3g, and would keep dosfstools (and the kernel support)
>> and/or mtools around anyway, for working with those very occasional
>> floppies.
>>
> It's not just floppies. FAT still has a major use for formatting
> memory cards in digital cameras. If one is going to process digital
> images with Linux one had better have the ability to handle FAT
> partitions.

Don't know whether such precaution is necessary, but I kept a small FAT
(actually 8G is not so small) partition in my external harddisk that
contains drivers for ntfs-3g for the platforms that I may meet at the
middle of the road. It saved me a couple of times when I happen to be in
a computer (or Gentoo Live CD) that can't read (or can only read) NTFS.

chemoelectric at chemoelectric

Dec 3, 2009, 10:18 PM

Re: Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

Frank Peters <frank.peters [at] comcast> skribis:
> Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric [at] chemoelectric> wrote:
>

> > Depending on what the DOS fs stuff is for, sys-fs/ntfs3g might be a
> > better option, anyway, though I have a vfat partition from before I
> > discovered ntfs3g, and would keep dosfstools (and the kernel support)
> > and/or mtools around anyway, for working with those very occasional
> > floppies.
> >

> It's not just floppies. FAT still has a major use for formatting
> memory cards in digital cameras. If one is going to process digital
> images with Linux one had better have the ability to handle FAT
> partitions.

That makes sense.

There's mtools as well, but it's nice to be able to mount the fs.

1i5t5.duncan at cox

Dec 4, 2009, 9:35 AM

Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

Lie Ryan posted on Fri, 04 Dec 2009 17:14:38 +1100 as excerpted:

> Don't know whether such precaution is necessary, but I kept a small FAT
> (actually 8G is not so small) partition in my external harddisk that
> contains drivers for ntfs-3g for the platforms that I may meet at the
> middle of the road. It saved me a couple of times when I happen to be in
> a computer (or Gentoo Live CD) that can't read (or can only read) NTFS.

I mentioned in another post (I /think/ to this list??) that I recently
upgraded to GPT partitioning, using gdisk. GPT has several mechanisms to
help ensure boot-time compatibility and that no legacy MBR based
partition editor overwrites things accidentally.

1) There's normally what's called a "protective MBR partition", that
makes it look to legacy MBR partition table editors like the entire disk
(well, to the 2-TiB boundary which is as far as they see) is a single
partition of unknown type. The idea here is to prevent accidentally
erasing the GPT partition info.

2) For legacy BIOS based booting, the first partition (typically 200 KB
or so, I made mine a full 1024 KiB, 1 MiB, just to simplify things, but
it sure felt strange making a partition that small!) should be reserved
as a BIOS boot partition -- basically, it's there to give certain legacy
BIOS bootloaders a spot to put their second stages, etc, without
overwriting anything else.

3) For newer EFI based booting, the standard specifies an EFI system
partition, FAT32 formatted, of a hundred MB or so. For non-portable
disks, only one of the two, either a BIOS boot partition (#2 above) or an
EFI system partition, need be present, but I went ahead and put both on
mine, even tho my present system doesn't really use either one. The EFI
system partition has its own registered partition type, so can be
anywhere on the disk, up to the standard 128 partitions that can fit in
the standard minimum GPT spec (thus, 128 partitions is the standard,
since that's what fits in the minimum spec, and few folks have reason for
more than that, tho it's an option available in the spec), but I put it
as partition 2, just because. I made mine 127 MiB, so the first two
partitions combined are exactly 128 MiB, 1/4 GiB.

On a full EFI boot system, this EFI system partition can contain the
drivers necessary to access any of the other partitions and load the OS.
EFI includes its own initial boot loader spec, and OSs can drop drivers
here as necessary to chain-load their own loader on their own filesystems.

As mentioned, the Linux kernel is natively GPT/EFI aware as long as the
option is compiled in. According to the documentation, GRUB2 is natively
GPT/EFI aware and will use the BIOS boot partition for its second stage
and related files. GRUB (legacy, grub1, the 0.97-rX versions Gentoo
defaults to at present) isn't natively GPT aware, but there are patches
floating around that add the capability, and Gentoo includes those
patches, so there's no problem with GRUB1 either, tho it ignores the BIOS
boot partition as well as the EFI system partition, placing its second
stage in its boot partition, if there's no room to embed it, instead. So
one could accurately say GRUB-legacy with the GPT patches only partly
supports GPT, it'll boot on it and won't damage it when installing, but
won't make use of the reserved BIOS boot partition as GRUB2 does.

Apparently MS supports GPT/EFI from Vista onward, and of course, Apple
does, as they were one of the first on the EFI bandwagon, developing it
with Intel.

4) As mentioned above, EFI speced systems don't have BIOS, per se, any
more, EFI replaces it, and don't use conventional boot loaders, either,
as the EFI spec has its own. I don't know enough about EFI systems to be
sure, but given what I know of computer systems in general, I expect that
ultimately, EFI's boot loader will probably simply chain-load the OS
native boot loader, in many cases, much as grub does with the MS
bootloader, today.

So FWIW, your "small" 8 gig partition for boot-time compatibility
purposes is sort of already built into the GPT/EFI spec. That would
contain all you needed to boot the kernel, and if you chose not to build
them into your kernels, your ntfs and other kernel modules would be
loaded from /boot as standard initramfs/initrd, if necessary, or from the
standard /lib/modules/<kern-ver> subdir, if not necessary to load /.

lie.1296 at gmail

Dec 4, 2009, 11:17 AM

Re: Re: FAT tools, where ? [In reply to]

On 12/5/2009 4:35 AM, Duncan wrote:
> So FWIW, your "small" 8 gig partition for boot-time compatibility
> purposes is sort of already built into the GPT/EFI spec. That would
> contain all you needed to boot the kernel, and if you chose not to build
> them into your kernels, your ntfs and other kernel modules would be
> loaded from /boot as standard initramfs/initrd, if necessary, or from the
> standard/lib/modules/<kern-ver> subdir, if not necessary to load /.

Booting was one of my least concern (it's a portable external harddisk,
I don't need an OS in there), I use the FAT partition to store NTFS
drivers (source and precompiled) for systems that don't already have
NTFS-3G installed and where internet is scarce or compiler is
unavailable (e.g. Gentoo LiveCD or Macs) since the rest of my external
harddisk is formatted as NTFS.

These systems are often not my own (a friend's Macbook) or is volatile
(e.g. Gentoo LiveCD, which can only read NTFS). The 8G is small compared
to the external's size (120G), but big enough to transfer a
single-layer-DVD worth of data if I need to (once I salvaged data from a
broken Windows NTFS filesystem with Gentoo LiveCD to the FAT partition).