Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Desktop

[kde-sunset] KDE3/Gentoo problem

Gentoo desktop RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ladislav.laska at gmail

Nov 1, 2010, 6:04 AM

[kde-sunset] KDE3/Gentoo problem

Hello,

I've recently stumbled onto a problem, possibly with kde3.

After some time (and I think this happens after resuming from RAM),
new terminals (even text ones) have empty hostname, I can't run any X
apps (cannot connect to X server :0.0), kde tells me "KDEInit could
not launch 'anything'", and in .xsession-errors appears:

xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "/unix:0" in "add" command
Warning: DCOP communication problem, can't fix Session Management.

and stuff like

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 20
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a0d41f

is all over the place. (but that's even before problems start to appear).

Did anyone noticed behavior like this? It happened on my two boxes
with kde3 after recent upgrades (started on my girlfriend's a month
ago on new gentoo installation, and then on mine after some upgrade).

Regards Ladislav Laska
S pozdravem Ladislav Laska
---
xmpp/jabber: ladislav.laska [at] jabber

CarlosL at seznam

Nov 1, 2010, 2:55 PM

Re: [kde-sunset] KDE3/Gentoo problem [In reply to]

Hello,

> I've recently stumbled onto a problem, possibly with kde3.
>
> After some time (and I think this happens after resuming from RAM),
> new terminals (even text ones) have empty hostname, I can't run any X
> apps (cannot connect to X server :0.0), kde tells me "KDEInit could
> not launch 'anything'", and in .xsession-errors appears:

I've seen a problem like this when I've installed networkmanager, and connected to a network that tried to set my hostname (a 3g connection). When it set the hostname I had no other way of getting back control of X / KDE3 than restarting the X server. I've solved it by adding two lines into /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf:

[keyfile]
hostname=myhostname

if you don't use networkmanager, there must be some option to pass to your DHCP client so it doesn't overwrite your hostname... I don't think this is kde3 related (cannot connect to X server :0.0), but I might be wrong, never tried it on other DE's.

Regards,

Carlos Lauť

ladislav.laska at gmail

Nov 1, 2010, 3:17 PM

Re: [kde-sunset] KDE3/Gentoo problem [In reply to]

Hello,

thanks for your reply. This is what I suspected, but I don't use NM
and don't recall that any of my networks try to set my hostname (I
connect only to a dorm network, and eduroam, sometimes some dnsmasq
driven lan).

I have no idea who tries to set my hostname and will investigate it
(it really seems that setting my hostname to empty string is the
cause, but still I don't know why. One idea is that something is
corrupting my memory (I would point at i915 driver, but don't really
have time for debugging).

Regards Ladislav Laska
S pozdravem Ladislav Laska
---

2010/11/1 Carlos Laué <CarlosL [at] seznam>:
> Hello,
>
>> I've recently stumbled onto a problem, possibly with kde3.
>>
>> After some time (and I think this happens after resuming from RAM),
>> new terminals (even text ones) have empty hostname, I can't run any X
>> apps (cannot connect to X server :0.0), kde tells me "KDEInit could
>> not launch 'anything'", and in .xsession-errors appears:
>
> I've seen a problem like this when I've installed networkmanager, and connected to a network that tried to set my hostname (a 3g connection). When it set the hostname I had no other way of getting back control of X / KDE3 than restarting the X server. I've solved it by adding two lines into /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf:
>
> [keyfile]
> hostname=myhostname
>
> if you don't use networkmanager, there must be some option to pass to your DHCP client so it doesn't overwrite your hostname... I don't think this is kde3 related (cannot connect to X server :0.0), but I might be wrong, never tried it on other DE's.
>
> Regards,
>
> Carlos Laué

1i5t5.duncan at cox

Nov 1, 2010, 8:32 PM

Re: [kde-sunset] KDE3/Gentoo problem [In reply to]

Ladislav Laska posted on Mon, 01 Nov 2010 23:17:02 +0100 as excerpted:

> thanks for your reply. This is what I suspected, but I don't use NM and
> don't recall that any of my networks try to set my hostname (I connect
> only to a dorm network, and eduroam, sometimes some dnsmasq driven lan).
>
> I have no idea who tries to set my hostname and will investigate it (it
> really seems that setting my hostname to empty string is the cause, but
> still I don't know why. One idea is that something is corrupting my
> memory (I would point at i915 driver, but don't really have time for
> debugging).

FWIW...

I have no idea about kde3 as I only just discovered this app on kde4,
and checked it out due to the strange name, but ...

kdontchangethehostname

It's now a separate package, but from what I've read, /was/ part of
I believe kdelibs, before.

The catch is that even tho it's an executable, it doesn't reside in
the usual /usr/bin, but rather in a libexec dir, as it's normally not
to be run directly by users. *IF* it exists in kde3, it likely be in
a different location than the kde4 version, so what I'd suggest is...

equery b kdontchangethehostname

... which, if installed, will give you both the package it's in and
where the file is located. Of course, you'll have to run it using
the whole path if it's not /in/ the path, but that's not a big deal.
Meanwhile, here's what its help output says (trimmed the standard
options, for kde4, as I said, but if it's in kde3 it should be similar):

Usage: kdontchangethehostname [Qt-options] [KDE-options] old new

Informs KDE about a change in hostname

Generic options:
--help Show help about options

Arguments:
old Old hostname
new New hostname

ladislav.laska at gmail

Nov 2, 2010, 12:14 AM

Re: Re: [kde-sunset] KDE3/Gentoo problem [In reply to]

Whoa, it exists and is part of kdelibs. Thanks, I will try to poke
around with it next time it will happen. Meanwhile, I'll try to figure
out where the hostname change is from (which really bothers me)

Regards Ladislav Laska
S pozdravem Ladislav Laska
---

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 4:32 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan [at] cox> wrote:
> Ladislav Laska posted on Mon, 01 Nov 2010 23:17:02 +0100 as excerpted:
>
>> thanks for your reply. This is what I suspected, but I don't use NM and
>> don't recall that any of my networks try to set my hostname (I connect
>> only to a dorm network, and eduroam, sometimes some dnsmasq driven lan).
>>
>> I have no idea who tries to set my hostname and will investigate it (it
>> really seems that setting my hostname to empty string is the cause, but
>> still I don't know why. One idea is that something is corrupting my
>> memory (I would point at i915 driver, but don't really have time for
>> debugging).
>
> FWIW...
>
> I have no idea about kde3 as I only just discovered this app on kde4,
> and checked it out due to the strange name, but ...
>
> kdontchangethehostname
>
> It's now a separate package, but from what I've read, /was/ part of
> I believe kdelibs, before.
>
> The catch is that even tho it's an executable, it doesn't reside in
> the usual /usr/bin, but rather in a libexec dir, as it's normally not
> to be run directly by users.  *IF* it exists in kde3, it likely be in
> a different location than the kde4 version, so what I'd suggest is...
>
> equery b kdontchangethehostname
>
> ... which, if installed, will give you both the package it's in and
> where the file is located.  Of course, you'll have to run it using
> the whole path if it's not /in/ the path, but that's not a big deal.
> Meanwhile, here's what its help output says (trimmed the standard
> options, for kde4, as I said, but if it's in kde3 it should be similar):
>
> Usage: kdontchangethehostname [Qt-options] [KDE-options] old new
>
> Informs KDE about a change in hostname
>
> Generic options:
>  --help                    Show help about options
>
> Arguments:
>  old                       Old hostname
>  new                       New hostname
>

> --
> Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
> "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
> and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

brent at keycorner

Nov 2, 2010, 12:29 PM

Re: [kde-sunset] KDE3/Gentoo problem [In reply to]

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Ladislav Laska wrote:

> thanks for your reply. This is what I suspected, but I don't use NM
> and don't recall that any of my networks try to set my hostname (I
> connect only to a dorm network, and eduroam, sometimes some dnsmasq
> driven lan).
>
> I have no idea who tries to set my hostname and will investigate it
> (it really seems that setting my hostname to empty string is the
> cause, but still I don't know why. One idea is that something is
> corrupting my memory (I would point at i915 driver, but don't really
> have time for debugging).

The DHCP client itself can obey instructions from the LAN to do this.
There are options in most of them to set it locally. Most DHCP networks
assign really long obnoxious hostnames to clients, so you can end up
seeing these names at your shell prompt sometimes if you don't override
it yourself.

--
+ Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys
+ UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will

Gentoo desktop RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded