Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: AMD64

Poor 3D performance (newbie)

Gentoo amd64 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

secchi at sssup

Oct 11, 2004, 12:08 AM

Poor 3D performance (newbie)

Hi,
I have some problems with 3D on my dual opteron with Tyan Thunder K8W
S2885, GeForce FX 5200 using the gentoo dev kernel 2.6.8-gentoo-r4. Even
if usual checks (consider that I'm not expert in Linux and definitely
newbie with Gentoo) seem to confirm me that the nvidia drivers have been
correctly installed glxgears gives me what I
consider a very poor performance: 718.200 FPS. I know that glxgears is
not a benchmark but I have read that 718 should be considered indirect
evidence of a problem.
Reading forums and doc it seems that I have a problem with AGP, in
particular I'm not able to enable Fast Writes (already activated in the
BIOS)

>cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

Driver: AGPGART
AGP Rate: 8x
Fast Writes: Disabled
SBA: Enabled

Here other possible interesting info:

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: GeForce FX 5200
IRQ: 16
Video BIOS: 04.34.20.16.00
Card Type: AGP

>cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86_64 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-6111 Tue
Jul 27 07:58:17 PDT 2004 GCC version: gcc version 3.3.4 20040623(Gentoo
Linux 3.3.4-r1, ssp-3.3.2-2, pie-8.7.6)

Any suggestion?
Thanks
a.

Angelo Secchi PGP Key ID:EA280337
Current Position:
Graduate Fellow Scuola Superiore S.Anna
Piazza Martiri della Liberta' 33, Pisa, 56127 Italy
ph.: +39 050 883365
email: secchi [at] sssup www.sssup.it/~secchi/

ianh at iahastie

Oct 11, 2004, 12:56 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

On Monday 11 Oct 2004 08:08, Angelo Secchi wrote:
> Hi,
> I have some problems with 3D on my dual opteron with Tyan Thunder K8W
> S2885, GeForce FX 5200 using the gentoo dev kernel 2.6.8-gentoo-r4. Even
> if usual checks (consider that I'm not expert in Linux and definitely
> newbie with Gentoo) seem to confirm me that the nvidia drivers have been
> correctly installed glxgears gives me what I
> consider a very poor performance: 718.200 FPS. I know that glxgears is
> not a benchmark but I have read that 718 should be considered indirect
> evidence of a problem.
> Reading forums and doc it seems that I have a problem with AGP, in
> particular I'm not able to enable Fast Writes (already activated in the
> BIOS)

You need to edit /etc/modules.d/nvidia and then run env-update. This will not
make a great difference to speed, but should give you a little bit extra.

> >cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

> Driver: AGPGART
> AGP Rate: 8x
> Fast Writes: Disabled
> SBA: Enabled
>

> Here other possible interesting info:
>
> cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
> Model: GeForce FX 5200
> IRQ: 16
> Video BIOS: 04.34.20.16.00
> Card Type: AGP
>
> >cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
>
> NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86_64 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-6111 Tue
> Jul 27 07:58:17 PDT 2004 GCC version: gcc version 3.3.4 20040623(Gentoo
> Linux 3.3.4-r1, ssp-3.3.2-2, pie-8.7.6)

All looks OK to me.

> Any suggestion?

First thing to try is running

opengl-update nvidia

Then if that doesn't make any difference could you send in the output of

glxinfo | egrep '(client|direct|OpenGL|server)'

That should give some useful extra information. The egrep is there just to
cut out the less immediately useful information. You should get something
similar to this

$ glxinfo | egrep '(client|direct|OpenGL|server)'
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.3
server glx extensions:
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.3
client glx extensions:
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce FX 5900/AGP/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.5.1 NVIDIA 61.11
OpenGL extensions:

--
Ian.

secchi at sssup

Oct 11, 2004, 7:21 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

I followed your suggestions but No improvements. Also I've noticed
that after editing /etc/modules.d/nvidia and running env-update the
Fast Writes is still disabled. Here the infos you asked me

>glxinfo | egrep '(client|direct|OpenGL|server)'
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.3
server glx extensions:
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.3
client glx extensions:
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.5.1 NVIDIA 61.11
OpenGL extensions:

Thanks again,

a.

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:56:52 +0100
Ian Hastie <ianh [at] iahastie> wrote:

> On Monday 11 Oct 2004 08:08, Angelo Secchi wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have some problems with 3D on my dual opteron with Tyan Thunder
> > K8W S2885, GeForce FX 5200 using the gentoo dev kernel
> > 2.6.8-gentoo-r4. Even if usual checks (consider that I'm not expert
> > in Linux and definitely newbie with Gentoo) seem to confirm me that
> > the nvidia drivers have been correctly installed glxgears gives me
> > what I consider a very poor performance: 718.200 FPS. I know that
> > glxgears is not a benchmark but I have read that 718 should be
> > considered indirect evidence of a problem.
> > Reading forums and doc it seems that I have a problem with AGP, in
> > particular I'm not able to enable Fast Writes (already activated in
> > the BIOS)
>
> You need to edit /etc/modules.d/nvidia and then run env-update. This
> will not make a great difference to speed, but should give you a
> little bit extra.
>
> > >cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

> > Driver: AGPGART
> > AGP Rate: 8x
> > Fast Writes: Disabled
> > SBA: Enabled
> >

> > Here other possible interesting info:
> >
> > cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
> > Model: GeForce FX 5200
> > IRQ: 16
> > Video BIOS: 04.34.20.16.00
> > Card Type: AGP
> >
> > >cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
> >
> > NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86_64 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-6111
> > Tue Jul 27 07:58:17 PDT 2004 GCC version: gcc version 3.3.4
> > 20040623(Gentoo Linux 3.3.4-r1, ssp-3.3.2-2, pie-8.7.6)
>
> All looks OK to me.
>
> > Any suggestion?
>
> First thing to try is running
>
> opengl-update nvidia
>
> Then if that doesn't make any difference could you send in the output
> of
>
> glxinfo | egrep '(client|direct|OpenGL|server)'
>
> That should give some useful extra information. The egrep is there
> just to cut out the less immediately useful information. You should
> get something similar to this
>
> $ glxinfo | egrep '(client|direct|OpenGL|server)'
> direct rendering: Yes
> server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
> server glx version string: 1.3
> server glx extensions:
> client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
> client glx version string: 1.3
> client glx extensions:
> OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
> OpenGL renderer string: GeForce FX 5900/AGP/SSE2
> OpenGL version string: 1.5.1 NVIDIA 61.11
> OpenGL extensions:
>
> --
> Ian.

Angelo Secchi PGP Key ID:EA280337
Current Position:
Graduate Fellow Scuola Superiore S.Anna
Piazza Martiri della Liberta' 33, Pisa, 56127 Italy
ph.: +39 050 883365
email: secchi [at] sssup www.sssup.it/~secchi/

ianh at iahastie

Oct 11, 2004, 8:46 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

On Monday 11 Oct 2004 15:21, Angelo Secchi wrote:
> I followed your suggestions but No improvements. Also I've noticed
> that after editing /etc/modules.d/nvidia and running env-update the
> Fast Writes is still disabled.

That'll make a change next time the nvidia kernel module gets loaded. Try the
following. I'm assuming you're running a display manager like kdm, if not
just ignore the xdm lines and exit X and restart it with startx or whatever
you use instead.

/etc/init.d/xdm stop
modprobe -r -v nvidia
modprobe -v nvidia
/etc/init.d/xdm start

If that doesn't do it you could try rebooting.

> Here the infos you asked me
>
> >glxinfo | egrep '(client|direct|OpenGL|server)'
>
> direct rendering: Yes
> server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
> server glx version string: 1.3
> server glx extensions:
> client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
> client glx version string: 1.3
> client glx extensions:
> OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
> OpenGL renderer string: GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE2
> OpenGL version string: 1.5.1 NVIDIA 61.11
> OpenGL extensions:

Just what it should be too. Oh well, would have been nice to see something
wrong then.

Does anyone else with a GeForce FX 5200 know what sort of results it should
give in glxgears?

--
Ian.

maq at maqibooy

Oct 11, 2004, 10:07 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

Enabling fast-write made my glxgears go from 5500 to 6100 on my FX 5900XT.

Thanks for the tip. Hope you solve your problems.

/maq

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:08:45 +0200
Angelo Secchi <secchi [at] sssup> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have some problems with 3D on my dual opteron with Tyan Thunder K8W
> S2885, GeForce FX 5200 using the gentoo dev kernel 2.6.8-gentoo-r4. Even
> if usual checks (consider that I'm not expert in Linux and definitely
> newbie with Gentoo) seem to confirm me that the nvidia drivers have been
> correctly installed glxgears gives me what I
> consider a very poor performance: 718.200 FPS. I know that glxgears is
> not a benchmark but I have read that 718 should be considered indirect
> evidence of a problem.
> Reading forums and doc it seems that I have a problem with AGP, in
> particular I'm not able to enable Fast Writes (already activated in the
> BIOS)
>
> >cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

> Driver: AGPGART
> AGP Rate: 8x
> Fast Writes: Disabled
> SBA: Enabled
>

> Here other possible interesting info:
>
> cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
> Model: GeForce FX 5200
> IRQ: 16
> Video BIOS: 04.34.20.16.00
> Card Type: AGP
>
> >cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
> NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86_64 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-6111 Tue
> Jul 27 07:58:17 PDT 2004 GCC version: gcc version 3.3.4 20040623(Gentoo
> Linux 3.3.4-r1, ssp-3.3.2-2, pie-8.7.6)
>
> Any suggestion?
> Thanks
> a.

> Angelo Secchi PGP Key ID:EA280337
> Current Position:
> Graduate Fellow Scuola Superiore S.Anna
> Piazza Martiri della Liberta' 33, Pisa, 56127 Italy
> ph.: +39 050 883365
> email: secchi [at] sssup www.sssup.it/~secchi/

luke-jr at utopios

Oct 11, 2004, 10:18 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

On Monday 11 October 2004 5:07 pm, maq wrote:
> Enabling fast-write made my glxgears go from 5500 to 6100 on my FX 5900XT.

How do you enable fast-write?

> Thanks for the tip. Hope you solve your problems.
>
> /maq
>
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:08:45 +0200
>
> Angelo Secchi <secchi [at] sssup> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have some problems with 3D on my dual opteron with Tyan Thunder K8W
> > S2885, GeForce FX 5200 using the gentoo dev kernel 2.6.8-gentoo-r4. Even
> > if usual checks (consider that I'm not expert in Linux and definitely
> > newbie with Gentoo) seem to confirm me that the nvidia drivers have been
> > correctly installed glxgears gives me what I
> > consider a very poor performance: 718.200 FPS. I know that glxgears is
> > not a benchmark but I have read that 718 should be considered indirect
> > evidence of a problem.
> > Reading forums and doc it seems that I have a problem with AGP, in
> > particular I'm not able to enable Fast Writes (already activated in the
> > BIOS)
> >
> > >cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

> > Driver: AGPGART
> > AGP Rate: 8x
> > Fast Writes: Disabled
> > SBA: Enabled
> >

> > Here other possible interesting info:
> >
> > cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
> > Model: GeForce FX 5200
> > IRQ: 16
> > Video BIOS: 04.34.20.16.00
> > Card Type: AGP
> >
> > >cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
> >
> > NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86_64 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-6111 Tue
> > Jul 27 07:58:17 PDT 2004 GCC version: gcc version 3.3.4 20040623(Gentoo
> > Linux 3.3.4-r1, ssp-3.3.2-2, pie-8.7.6)
> >
> > Any suggestion?
> > Thanks
> > a.
> >

> > --
> > Angelo Secchi PGP Key ID:EA280337
> > Current Position:
> > Graduate Fellow Scuola Superiore S.Anna
> > Piazza Martiri della Liberta' 33, Pisa, 56127 Italy
> > ph.: +39 050 883365
> > email: secchi [at] sssup www.sssup.it/~secchi/

Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios
http://utopios.org/

maq at maqibooy

Oct 11, 2004, 10:24 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

> How do you enable fast-write?

Make sure it's enabled in bios. Then I just edited /etc/modules.d/nvidia as described in one of the follow up letters (Ian Hasties).

/maq

luke-jr at utopios

Oct 11, 2004, 10:36 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

On Monday 11 October 2004 5:24 pm, maq wrote:
> > How do you enable fast-write?
>
> Make sure it's enabled in bios. Then I just edited /etc/modules.d/nvidia as
> described in one of the follow up letters (Ian Hasties).

I have a Radeon, not a useless nVidia card. Is fast-write a nVidia-specific
option?

> /maq
>
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:18:49 +0000
>
> Luke-Jr <luke-jr [at] utopios> wrote:
> > On Monday 11 October 2004 5:07 pm, maq wrote:
> > > Enabling fast-write made my glxgears go from 5500 to 6100 on my FX
> > > 5900XT.
> >
> > How do you enable fast-write?
> >
> > > Thanks for the tip. Hope you solve your problems.
> > >
> > > /maq

> > --
> > Luke-Jr
> > Developer, Utopios
> > http://utopios.org/
> >
> > --

Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios
http://utopios.org/

maq at maqibooy

Oct 11, 2004, 10:49 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

Fast-write isn't nVidia specific. It's a agp feature. But you must have a driver that supports it. On a amd64 system, you (as a ATI owner) don't have a 64bit driver at all (now we talking useless).

/maq

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:36:41 +0000

pauldv at gentoo

Oct 11, 2004, 11:47 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

On Monday 11 October 2004 19:49, maq wrote:
> Fast-write isn't nVidia specific. It's a agp feature. But you must have a
> driver that supports it. On a amd64 system, you (as a ATI owner) don't have
> a 64bit driver at all (now we talking useless).

With an ati-9200 you do, you even get the source, and support for newer cards
is (supposedly) being written for newer xorg-x11 releases.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer

luke-jr at utopios

Oct 11, 2004, 3:11 PM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

On Monday 11 October 2004 5:49 pm, maq wrote:
> Fast-write isn't nVidia specific. It's a agp feature. But you must have a
> driver that supports it. On a amd64 system, you (as a ATI owner) don't have
> a 64bit driver at all (now we talking useless).

Quite the opposite. I have an open source DRI/DRM driver that works quite
nicely in AGP 4x (8x doesn't seem to work at all w/ this box).

> /maq
>
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:36:41 +0000
>
> Luke-Jr <luke-jr [at] utopios> wrote:
> > >
> > > Make sure it's enabled in bios. Then I just edited
> > > /etc/modules.d/nvidia as described in one of the follow up letters (Ian
> > > Hasties).
> >
> > I have a Radeon, not a useless nVidia card. Is fast-write a
> > nVidia-specific option?
> >
> > > /maq

> > --
> > Luke-Jr
> > Developer, Utopios
> > http://utopios.org/
> >
> > --

Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios
http://utopios.org/

ianh at iahastie

Oct 12, 2004, 3:17 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

On Monday 11 Oct 2004 23:11, Luke-Jr wrote:
> On Monday 11 October 2004 5:49 pm, maq wrote:
> > Fast-write isn't nVidia specific. It's a agp feature. But you must have a
> > driver that supports it. On a amd64 system, you (as a ATI owner) don't
> > have a 64bit driver at all (now we talking useless).
>
> Quite the opposite. I have an open source DRI/DRM driver that works quite
> nicely in AGP 4x (8x doesn't seem to work at all w/ this box).

So if your driver doesn't support fast writes then you should add it yourself.
This is one of the main advantages of OSS. It's also something you may, and
others would definitely, find useful. BTW, which motherboard and chipset is
it?

--
Ian.

ianh at iahastie

Oct 12, 2004, 3:19 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

On Monday 11 Oct 2004 19:47, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> On Monday 11 October 2004 19:49, maq wrote:
> > Fast-write isn't nVidia specific. It's a agp feature. But you must have a
> > driver that supports it. On a amd64 system, you (as a ATI owner) don't
> > have a 64bit driver at all (now we talking useless).
>
> With an ati-9200 you do, you even get the source, and support for newer
> cards is (supposedly) being written for newer xorg-x11 releases.

OSS with accelerated 3D? If so has ATI released the spec or is it a reverse
engineering job?

--
Ian.

pauldv at gentoo

Oct 12, 2004, 4:38 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 12:19, Ian Hastie wrote:
> OSS with accelerated 3D? If so has ATI released the spec or is it a
> reverse engineering job?

Ati released the spec's on all cards below the 9200 (r280 and lower). I
believe they even contributed some source. Supposedly some more data was
released on newer processors recently, but the drivers have not yet been
updated for those.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer
Mail: pauldv [at] gentoo
Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net

luke-jr at utopios

Oct 12, 2004, 6:16 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 10:17 am, Ian Hastie wrote:
> On Monday 11 Oct 2004 23:11, Luke-Jr wrote:
> > On Monday 11 October 2004 5:49 pm, maq wrote:
> > > Fast-write isn't nVidia specific. It's a agp feature. But you must have
> > > a driver that supports it. On a amd64 system, you (as a ATI owner)
> > > don't have a 64bit driver at all (now we talking useless).
> >
> > Quite the opposite. I have an open source DRI/DRM driver that works quite
> > nicely in AGP 4x (8x doesn't seem to work at all w/ this box).
>
> So if your driver doesn't support fast writes then you should add it
> yourself. This is one of the main advantages of OSS. It's also something
> you may, and others would definitely, find useful. BTW, which motherboard
> and chipset is it?

True, but unfortunately I have no experience with drivers at all and very
little with graphics in general (if that even matters). Without comments, I
would be unable to tell if the driver does support fast-writes or not.
Luckily, `man radeon' has a nice xorg.conf option I can add. :)
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios

luke-jr at utopios

Oct 12, 2004, 6:36 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 1:16 pm, Luke-Jr wrote:
> True, but unfortunately I have no experience with drivers at all and very
> little with graphics in general (if that even matters). Without comments, I
> would be unable to tell if the driver does support fast-writes or not.
> Luckily, `man radeon' has a nice xorg.conf option I can add. :)
Unfortunately, adding it causes X to b0rk the video card until reboot. :(
Nothing unusual in logs, either.
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios

markjhvt at letterboxes

Oct 12, 2004, 8:19 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

From what I've caught in this thread, you're using an ATI card. I don't
know which card you have, so I might be repeating stuff that's already
been said (I haven't been following very closely).
In any case, Radeon's before the 8500 don't support fast writes at all.
Also, it's gotta be enabled in the BIOS (that's probably been pointed
out already). Thirdly, Radeon's don't support fast write very well
anyway. In fact, it may degrade performance in some cases. And
obviously it tends to be very unstable. And finally, if you AGP is
working properly, you don't need fast writes anyway. Fast writes are
mainly meant for older cards that don't properly support normal AGP
reads and writes. All in all, I wouldn't bother trying to get fast
writes enabled.

Here's a link from ATI with some info about fast writes in general:
http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/SMARTGART-FAQ.pdf

Here's a newsgroup post talking about it some more:
http://tinyurl.com/658sj

-Mark-

--
Mark Henry
markjhvt [at] letterboxes

"Eagles may soar with the clouds,
but weasels never get sucked into jet engines."

luke-jr at utopios

Oct 12, 2004, 9:38 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 3:19 pm, Mark Henry wrote:
> From what I've caught in this thread, you're using an ATI card. I don't
> know which card you have, so I might be repeating stuff that's already
> been said (I haven't been following very closely).

9200 SE

> In any case, Radeon's before the 8500 don't support fast writes at all.

That would explain why. This is a limitation of the card or merely the DRI
drivers?

> Also, it's gotta be enabled in the BIOS (that's probably been pointed
> out already).

Relatively sure it is, though I don't reboot often enough to check. Should
have when I had to reboot before...

> Thirdly, Radeon's don't support fast write very well anyway. In fact, it
> may degrade performance in some cases. And obviously it tends to be very
> unstable. And finally, if you AGP is working properly, you don't need fast
> writes anyway. Fast writes are mainly meant for older cards that don't
> properly support normal AGP reads and writes. All in all, I wouldn't bother
> trying to get fast writes enabled.

Any ideas for AGP 8x, then? My mobo is Asus K8V SE (unfortunately, the Soyo
K8USA I had wanted to use supposedly doesn't work according to
AmeriCompuTech)

--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios

rsanders at engr

Oct 12, 2004, 9:48 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

> Any ideas for AGP 8x, then? My mobo is Asus K8V SE (unfortunately, the Soyo
> K8USA I had wanted to use supposedly doesn't work according to
> AmeriCompuTech)

AGP8X is mostly marketing. No Gfx card I've run across has a dma engine
that actaully delivers data at more than about 800 MB/s. The older cards,
like your Ati run slower even though they might electrically work in an
AGP8X slot.

The first versions of PCIe are pretty much the same. Which is one reason
there is little difference in becnhmarks of comparable cards.

Bob
-

markjhvt at letterboxes

Oct 12, 2004, 10:13 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:38:17 +0000, "Luke-Jr" <luke-jr [at] utopios>
said:
> On Tuesday 12 October 2004 3:19 pm, Mark Henry wrote:
> > In any case, Radeon's before the 8500 don't support fast writes at all.
>
> That would explain why. This is a limitation of the card or merely the
> DRI
> drivers?

That's a card limitation - it doesn't work in Windows with those cards
either.

> > Thirdly, Radeon's don't support fast write very well anyway. In fact, it
> > may degrade performance in some cases. And obviously it tends to be very
> > unstable. And finally, if you AGP is working properly, you don't need fast
> > writes anyway. Fast writes are mainly meant for older cards that don't
> > properly support normal AGP reads and writes. All in all, I wouldn't bother
> > trying to get fast writes enabled.
>
> Any ideas for AGP 8x, then? My mobo is Asus K8V SE (unfortunately, the
> Soyo
> K8USA I had wanted to use supposedly doesn't work according to
> AmeriCompuTech)

AGP 8x isn't very well supported either, from what I've read. I haven't
seen anything directly from ATI about this, but I've read other reports
from people that had to disable fast writes and could only get AGP
running at 4x. But as someone else already pointed out, AGP 8x is more
of a marketing thing then anything. When you get up to those speeds,
other factors come into play as bottlenecks anyway.

-Mark-

--
Mark Henry
markjhvt [at] letterboxes

"Eagles may soar with the clouds,
but weasels never get sucked into jet engines."

luke-jr at utopios

Oct 12, 2004, 10:27 AM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 5:13 pm, Mark Henry wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:38:17 +0000, "Luke-Jr" <luke-jr [at] utopios> said:
> > On Tuesday 12 October 2004 3:19 pm, Mark Henry wrote:
> > > In any case, Radeon's before the 8500 don't support fast writes at all.
> >
> > That would explain why. This is a limitation of the card or merely the
> > DRI drivers?
>
> That's a card limitation - it doesn't work in Windows with those cards
> either.

Wait... I thought this said *after* 8500 don't support it. So, it should work
(9200 SE), but doesn't...
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios

markjhvt at letterboxes

Oct 12, 2004, 12:11 PM

Re: Poor 3D performance (newbie) [In reply to]

Theoretically it should work, but I wouldn't count on it. And I
wouldn't expect it to increase performance any.

-Mark-