Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: AMD64

Glibc Update Breaks Open/LibreOffice -- Can't Downgrade

 

 

Gentoo amd64 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


frank.peters at comcast

Jul 5, 2011, 6:31 PM

Post #1 of 11 (5167 views)
Permalink
Glibc Update Breaks Open/LibreOffice -- Can't Downgrade

Hello,

Today my system automatically updated glibc from 2.12-rc2 to 2.12-rc3.
Shortly afterwards I tried to start OpenOffice and it would not start.
The error message:

Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-deps.c: 622: _dl_map_object_deps: Assertion `nlist > 1' failed!

(The same problem is reported here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6744468.html)

Apparently this is due to the glibc update. A quick fix (since I need
OpenOffice) would be to simply downgrade back to glibc-2.12-r2, but
emerge will not allow me to do it:

* Sanity check to keep you from breaking your system:
* Downgrading glibc is not supported and a sure way to destruction
* ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.13-r2 failed (setup phase):
* aborting to save your system

I'm not going to break my system. How do I override this?

Note: I am not using the compiled Gentoo version of OpenOffice.
My installation is the binary version from the OO web site.
Also, LibreOffice, which I installed (from binary) as a possible
fix, gives the same error message.

Frank Peters


volkerarmin at googlemail

Jul 5, 2011, 7:28 PM

Post #2 of 11 (5079 views)
Permalink
Re: Glibc Update Breaks Open/LibreOffice -- Can't Downgrade [In reply to]

On Tuesday 05 July 2011 21:31:48 Frank Peters wrote:
> Hello,
> Today my system automatically updated glibc from 2.12-rc2 to 2.12-
rc3.Shortly afterwards I tried to start OpenOffice and it would not start.The
error message:
> Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-deps.c: 622: _dl_map_object_deps:
> Assertion `nlist > 1' failed!
> (The same problem is reported here:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6744468.html)
> Apparently this is due to the glibc update. A quick fix (since I
needOpenOffice) would be to simply downgrade back to glibc-2.12-r2, butemerge
will not allow me to do it:
> * Sanity check to keep you from breaking your system: * Downgrading glibc
is not supported and a sure way to destruction * ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.13-r2
failed (setup phase): * aborting to save your system
> I'm not going to break my system. How do I override this?
> Note: I am not using the compiled Gentoo version of OpenOffice.My
installation is the binary version from the OO web site.Also, LibreOffice,
which I installed (from binary) as a possiblefix, gives the same error
message.
> Frank Peters

no need for that, a simple revdep-rebuilt solves this.

I saw the same with vlc - revdep and all problems were gone. LO works too.

Seriously guys...how long are you using gentoo?

--
#163933


chemoelectric at chemoelectric

Jul 5, 2011, 8:10 PM

Post #3 of 11 (5077 views)
Permalink
Re: Glibc Update Breaks Open/LibreOffice -- Can't Downgrade [In reply to]

Frank Peters <frank.peters [at] comcast> skribis:
> * Sanity check to keep you from breaking your system:
> * Downgrading glibc is not supported and a sure way to destruction
> * ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.13-r2 failed (setup phase):
> * aborting to save your system
>
> I'm not going to break my system. How do I override this?

Copy or overlay the one glibc ebuild with a copy of the good one. It
is hard to tell which ebuilds you mean, but I think the difference may
be just the patch set.


frank.peters at comcast

Jul 5, 2011, 8:11 PM

Post #4 of 11 (5085 views)
Permalink
Re: Glibc Update Breaks Open/LibreOffice -- Can't Downgrade [In reply to]

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 04:28:34 +0200
Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin [at] googlemail> wrote:

>
> no need for that, a simple revdep-rebuilt solves this.
>

As I mentioned, I am not using the Gentoo OpenOffice.
Doing revdep-rebuild on my system indicates that everything
is OK.

I suppose that the OpenOffice/LibreOffice folks have to rebuild
*their* binaries.

But is there a way to override the emerge refusal to allow
a downgrade to glibc? That is what I need to do.


paul.hartman+gentoo at gmail

Jul 5, 2011, 10:22 PM

Post #5 of 11 (5071 views)
Permalink
Re: Glibc Update Breaks Open/LibreOffice -- Can't Downgrade [In reply to]

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters [at] comcast> wrote:
> But is there a way to override the emerge refusal to allow
> a downgrade to glibc?  That is what I need to do.

Take a look at this page:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Downgrade_Glibc

And also this forum topic:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-845000-start-0.html

Good luck! :)


frank.peters at comcast

Jul 6, 2011, 9:08 AM

Post #6 of 11 (5039 views)
Permalink
Re: Glibc Update Breaks Open/LibreOffice -- Can't Downgrade [In reply to]

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 00:22:33 -0500
Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:

>
> Take a look at this page:
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Downgrade_Glibc
>
> And also this forum topic:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-845000-start-0.html
>

Thanks for these links.

What a mess! In my case there would be no problem because
absolutely nothing was built against the new glibc.

However, I found another solution. I did not realize that
Gentoo offers a binary OpenOffice package. Installing
this openoffice-bin package now gives me an OpenOffice
that starts with the new glibc update.

So the new question is why does the binary from OO/LO
fail to start while the Gentoo binary shows no problem?
AFAIK they are the same package, but the directory structures
are different.

Anyway, I'm glad to have OO running.

Frank Peters


chemoelectric at chemoelectric

Jul 6, 2011, 10:26 AM

Post #7 of 11 (5045 views)
Permalink
Re: Glibc Update Breaks Open/LibreOffice -- Can't Downgrade [In reply to]

Frank Peters <frank.peters [at] comcast> skribis:
> What a mess! In my case there would be no problem because
> absolutely nothing was built against the new glibc.

And the difference between versions may have been trivial, anyway.

> So the new question is why does the binary from OO/LO
> fail to start while the Gentoo binary shows no problem?
> AFAIK they are the same package, but the directory structures
> are different.

Was one x86 and the other amd64?


volkerarmin at googlemail

Jul 6, 2011, 10:40 AM

Post #8 of 11 (5032 views)
Permalink
Re: Glibc Update Breaks Open/LibreOffice -- Can't Downgrade [In reply to]

On Wednesday 06 July 2011 12:08:45 Frank Peters wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 00:22:33 -0500
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Take a look at this page:> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Downgrade_Glibc>
> > And also this forum topic:> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-845000-
start-0.html
> Thanks for these links.
> What a mess! In my case there would be no problem becauseabsolutely nothing
was built against the new glibc.
> However, I found another solution. I did not realize thatGentoo offers a
binary OpenOffice package. Installingthis openoffice-bin package now gives me
an OpenOfficethat starts with the new glibc update.
> So the new question is why does the binary from OO/LOfail to start while the
Gentoo binary shows no problem?AFAIK they are the same package, but the
directory structuresare different.
> Anyway, I'm glad to have OO running.
> Frank Peters

one is compiled by the ooo guys for some setup they consider 'standard'. The
other compiled against gentoo stable tree.

Huge differences. Really.


--
#163933


frank.peters at comcast

Jul 6, 2011, 11:57 AM

Post #9 of 11 (5024 views)
Permalink
Re: Glibc Update Breaks Open/LibreOffice -- Can't Downgrade [In reply to]

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 19:40:58 +0200
Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin [at] googlemail> wrote:

>
> one is compiled by the ooo guys for some setup they consider 'standard'. The
> other compiled against gentoo stable tree.
>

Well, I checked the ebuild for openoffice-bin and it looks like
the plain OO rpm files from the OO web site are downloaded, unpacked,
and installed.

Anyway, there are other reports of problems with glibc-2.13-r3 and
breakages with OO and LO and other things.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-885616-highlight-.html

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6744468.html

On my system, nothing else seems to be affected.

Frank Peters


me at junc

Jul 6, 2011, 3:20 PM

Post #10 of 11 (5024 views)
Permalink
Re: Glibc Update Breaks Open/LibreOffice -- Can't Downgrade [In reply to]

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 23:11:28 -0400, Frank Peters wrote:

> But is there a way to override the emerge refusal to allow
> a downgrade to glibc? That is what I need to do.

copy content of previous glibc ebuild to to name of latest ebuild of
glibc, and emerge same version of glibc "as portage" see it so, but it
will actuly downgrade screew up your box, warning

pretend i not have used gentoo / funtoo in the last 10 years :)

btw you could fix more by NOT use precompiled software


cloos at jhcloos

Jul 8, 2011, 2:06 PM

Post #11 of 11 (4909 views)
Permalink
Re: Glibc Update Breaks Open/LibreOffice -- Can't Downgrade [In reply to]

>>>>> "FP" == Frank Peters <frank.peters [at] comcast> writes:

FP> But is there a way to override the emerge refusal to allow
FP> a downgrade to glibc? That is what I need to do.

If you edit the glibc-2.13-r3 entry in /var/db/pkg to call it -r2,
you should be able to sneak in a downgrade.

Something like (untested):

:; mv /var/db/pkg/sys-libs/glibc-2.13-r3 /var/db/pkg/sys-libs/glibc-2.13-r2
:; cd /var/db/pkg/sys-libs/glibc-2.13-r2
:; mv glibc-2.13-r3.ebuild glibc-2.13-r2.ebuild
:; perl -pi -e 's/2.13-r3/2.13-r2/g' PF
:; bunzip2 environment.bz2
:; perl -pi -e 's/2.13-r3/2.13-r2/g' environment
:; bzip2 environment

would probably convince portage that you have -r2 installed. It should
then let you re-install -r2 via emerge =sys-libs/glibc-2.13-r2.

I found a backup of my old stage3, chroot(2)ed to that, upgraded it to
2.13-r2, used quickpkg to make a pkg file (forgot to specify --buildpkg)
and untar(1)ed that over / to get a working box again.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos [at] jhcloos> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

Gentoo amd64 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.