Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: AMD64

Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advicewanted.

Gentoo amd64 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

paul at teulu

Dec 9, 2010, 9:18 AM

Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advicewanted.

Tbh although I am familiar with lilo from previous use (I started using linux in 1995!), I understood it to be deprecated. I like the interactive option with grub, and it has allowed me to get out of problems in the past. Currently I see no need to go pure 64bit, although I will do at some stage.

------Original Message------
From: Frank Peters
To: gentoo-amd64 [at] lists
ReplyTo: gentoo-amd64 [at] lists
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advicewanted.
Sent: Dec 9, 2010 15:27

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 11:58:36 +0000
"Paul Jewell" <paul [at] teulu> wrote:

> When I installed my system back in January, I started off with 64 bit
> only, and immediately hit a problem with grub compilation.

Why not just use lilo? Lilo doesn't need the kernel to boot the
system and it compiles on pure 64-bit systems.

I hate to proselytize, but it seems to me that grub has been pushed
into the Linux world without merit. Lilo does the job just as well.

Frank Peters

frank.peters at comcast

Dec 9, 2010, 11:07 AM

Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advicewanted. [In reply to]

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 17:18:19 +0000
"Paul Jewell" <paul [at] teulu> wrote:

> Tbh although I am familiar with lilo from previous use (I started using
> linux in 1995!), I understood it to be deprecated. I like the interactive
> option with grub, and it has allowed me to get out of problems in the past.

Lilo maintenance has been taken over by people at Debian:

http://lilo.alioth.debian.org/

Frank Peters

Gentoo amd64 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded