Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: AMD64
udev/baselayout mess?

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

raffaele.belardi at st

Feb 1, 2010, 5:41 AM

udev/baselayout mess?

I've recently updated several gentoo boxes, on 3 out of 4 I had no
problem, on the last one (amd64) I had to downgrade udev-146-r1 to 141
and baselayout-1.12.13 to 1.12.11.1 to make the system bootable. The
symptom was that not one init script was executed after kernel load and
I just got the message "Type root password for maintenance". On gentoo
bugzilla the problem is know, one solution is to clear /dev or /proc, it
did not work for me. Since downgrading fixed it, I gave up thinking
about it.

Then a couple of days ago I changed the main hard disk of one of the
amd64 boxes (one with the up-to-date udev/baselayout). I copied the root
FS to the new HD with 'cp -a', installed grub and switched SATA cables
so the new disk would be seen as the old root disk. Again no init script
was executed. I downgraded udev and baselayout and everything is fine again.

What's up??? udev/baselayout was working fine before the copy to the new
HD, what happened? Any hints?

thanks,

raffaele