Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: AMD64

[gentoo-user] xen and ext4

Gentoo amd64 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

davidshen84 at googlemail

Oct 30, 2009, 5:50 AM

[gentoo-user] xen and ext4

hi,

i am using gentoo x64. i want to try xen, but my file system is ext4,
and i cannot fine ext4 support while compiling xen-source. have i
missed something, or ext4 is not supported by xen for now? when will
it be available?

--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/
http://meme.yahoo.com/davidshen84/

1i5t5.duncan at cox

Oct 30, 2009, 10:06 AM

Re: [gentoo-user] xen and ext4 [In reply to]

Xi Shen posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2009 20:50:44 +0800 as excerpted:

> hi,
>
> i am using gentoo x64. i want to try xen, but my file system is ext4,
> and i cannot fine ext4 support while compiling xen-source. have i missed
> something, or ext4 is not supported by xen for now? when will it be
> available?

xen uses out-of-mainline patches, and it appears at least the versions in
the Gentoo tree are pretty old, 2.6.18 as ~arch and 2.6.21 hard-masked.
AFAIK, that's well before ext4 was declared non-dev. I don't think you
want to /touch/ ext4 from that old, if it was even in the tree as
ext4-dev yet.

Generally, the folks that are interested in xen run servers and are very
conservative about the filesystems they'll run, even more than the apps
they run, which they want stable and well tested. They're not the type
to want any surprises or take any not absolutely necessary risks -- and
quite the type that would consider any filesystem not yet at least three
years old to be just that, an "unnecessary risk". It's thus unlikely
that you'll find much interest in ext4 on xen for some time.

Gentoo amd64 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded