Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: AMD64

Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All Gentoo amd64 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

1i5t5.duncan at cox

Aug 27, 2009, 5:00 PM

Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

Allistar posted on Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:05:31 +1200 as excerpted:

> No, a static layout in xorg.conf. From what I know, the XRANDR extension
> doesn't play well with the COMPOSITE extension. Also the XINERAMA
> extension doesn't play well with COMPOSITE either. (WHich is why I have
> two separate X desktops instead of one by using XINERAMA).

I've had no problem with RandR and Composite here.

Xinerama seems to be deprecated, almost. At least I've not used actual
xinerama in ages and from what I've read, yes, there are problems (not
just with kde, but with X, and between RandR and Xinerama). However, at
least with the single-card-multi-output hardware I've seen, xinerama
isn't actually necessary to use it, as "pseudo-xinerama" works, and seems
to work fine. The first I heard of pseudo-xinerama was with Radeon
merged-framebuffer mode, before RandR, but it seems to be an X default,
now, no actual Xinerama extension needed.

But I think xinerama is still needed for actual multiple cards, and with
the lower use it's getting these days due to the built-in pseudo-
xinerama, it does seem to not be keeping up, or at least, I've read more
about problems than about using it problem-free, since RandR.

frank.peters at comcast

Aug 27, 2009, 5:01 PM

Re: Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:34:24 +0200

> oh really? can mc present an audiocd as ogg/mp3/flac/wav files?
>
> I don't think so.

I am not sure what is meant by "present an audio cd," but mc can be
programmed by the user to accomplish a lot of tasks based on the
file type. Therefore, although I have not researched this specific
possibility, I would be inclined to believe that it can be done
with mc.

Most importantly, mc could do it without requiring the support of
hundreds of extra libraries. The more complex a structure, the more
difficult it becomes to eliminate or even locate problems and flaws.

One can also argue that the whole idea of an evolving graphical
interface is a fallacy. Human beings do not need any new and improved
methods for interacting with a computer. In my opinion, the GUI had
reached its peak way back in 1995. Nothing else needs to be done.
Current GUI designs should be sufficient for the next thousand years.

> well, I am just saying that even if Frank things highly integrated, code and
> functionanilty sharing DEs might be superfluos I am thinking the exact
> opposite.

It's all a matter of personal preference and philosophy. I am a minimalist
at heart and I'm sure a lot of other people are as well. For me, using
a computer means interacting closely with the hardware without the intervention
of a thick layer of GUI. I derive much satisfaction with being able to write
bash scripts or perl/python code to do jobs that other users could probably
accomplish with a few mouse clicks within KDE or Gnome. To me, the whole
point of computing is to be in total awareness and control of the computer.
Fortunately, Linux (and Gentoo) still provides that minimalist opportunity.

Frank Peters

1i5t5.duncan at cox

Aug 27, 2009, 5:07 PM

Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

Mark Knecht posted on Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:15:15 -0700 as excerpted:

> Now, lest it sound like I'm complaining, I'm really not. I'm just saying
> how I see the truth about this stuff. I prefer FLOSS when it does what I
> need, but being FLOSS it may or may not be up to the quality I can get
> from closed source support, especially in the area of hardware support.

Agreed with everything you said. Here, when FLOSS doesn't cut it for
particular hardware, it's as if that feature doesn't exist on that
hardware, since I don't consider non-FLOSS an option (now that I know the
difference, as I said, I didn't when I check Linux support for that last
nVidia card before I switched). But as I said, that's a personal
decision. Others have different priorities and different consciences,
and can consider the non-FLOSS option based on the the risks of when the
company will drop updates.

1i5t5.duncan at cox

Aug 27, 2009, 5:15 PM

Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

Frank Peters posted on Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:03:51 -0400 as excerpted:

> After reading this thread on the problems of the new KDE, I can only say
> that the best solution would be to abandon KDE entirely and choose
> something much simpler.

That's what many are doing. Under a bit different circumstances, I'd be
one of them, but it does still seem to be the best for me, even if it's
taking way more work than it should for the transition. Even then, there
are bits that I'm switching to non-kde alternatives for, like the hotkey
thing.

> But this is pure bunk. Using Openbox with a virtual desktop and the
> old-fashioned Midnight Commander file manager that runs in an X
> terminal,

Another mc fan. =:^) I use it for my sysadmin type work, and have highly
customized the user menu to that end. For ordinary user file management,
however, managing images and videos and that sort of thing, working with
preview-based icons is nice, and I still use kde tools for that. But
certainly gnome tools would work too, and possibly file roller, etc.
I've never tried them since I'm already using kde and might as well use
the kde solution since it's already there and working well... for the
tasks I use it for.

i92guboj at terra

Aug 27, 2009, 5:18 PM

Re: Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

On Fri, August 28, 2009 01:52, Duncan wrote:
> Jesús Guerrero posted on Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:08:07 +0200 as excerpted:
>

>> Just for the record, things like compiz work preferctly in an nvidia
>> 6200, agp. They will work without a problem in an hd2600 which is a much
>> better card, agp as well.
>
> Hmm, I wasn't aware the Radeons (I assume you're talking about here, I
> don't even bother with nVidia any more and have no idea their model
> numbers) had AGP available beyond the r5xx (thru x1950) series. Got a
> link? But I hadn't finished researching and actually bought, either.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=318&name=AGP%20Video%20Cards

The first thing I found in google, you can see there an nvidia geforce
7600, it's agp. The 7xxx is the last series of nvidia with agp support,
though in some parts it's quite difficult to find one.

You can also see an ati radeon 2400 there, I own one however I can't
say I am really happy with it. But that's another story and I don't want
to spoil the thread more than it already is.

My only point is there there are *lots* of agp cards that are more than
capable of doing desktop effects of any kind. The beryl/compiz stuff
was born much before pci-e was in our houses. :)

--
Jesús Guerrero

i92guboj at terra

Aug 27, 2009, 5:42 PM

Re: Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

On Fri, August 28, 2009 02:01, Frank Peters wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:34:24 +0200
>

>> oh really? can mc present an audiocd as ogg/mp3/flac/wav files?
>>
>> I don't think so.
>>

> I am not sure what is meant by "present an audio cd," but mc can be
> programmed by the user to accomplish a lot of tasks based on the file type.
> Therefore, although I have not researched this specific
> possibility, I would be inclined to believe that it can be done with mc.

He is talking about a kio-slave that does kind of like the cdfs kernel
module, though in a more limited way.

In kde, when you enter a cdaudio in your drive and open it, this
kio-slave presents you the cdaudio disk in an fs-like fashion, with
a number of folders. One folder containing ogg files, other mp3 files,
other wav files, and so on, depending on your USE flags and such things

This allows you to rip the thing by just dragging files into another
folder, though to tell the truth, it never worked reliably for me in
kde3, I have no idea if it has improved.

mc already do this for a number of formats, like iso, via vfs's, I have
no idea how complex would it be to develop this for cdaudio, but, as said
we have cdfs anyway, and mc is not meant to be an audio encoder at all.
I'd vote against this, unless it can be implemented purely as an vfs
module or as an external addon without touching a single line of the mc
core.

--
Jesús Guerrero

chemoelectric at chemoelectric

Aug 27, 2009, 5:54 PM

Re: Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

Duncan <1i5t5.duncan [at] cox> skribis:
> Frank Peters posted on Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:03:51 -0400 as excerpted:
>
> > After reading this thread on the problems of the new KDE, I can only say
> > that the best solution would be to abandon KDE entirely and choose
> > something much simpler.
>
> That's what many are doing. Under a bit different circumstances, I'd be
> one of them, but it does still seem to be the best for me, even if it's
> taking way more work than it should for the transition. Even then, there
> are bits that I'm switching to non-kde alternatives for, like the hotkey
> thing.

Well, I've perhaps changed my mind, after trying 4.3. I'm still using
fluxbox -- easily the best wm for me that I've tried -- but plasma
seems to be working well enough now that I can use it, although I
still would have preferred the combination of rox pinboard and
kicker.

Konsole for 4 seems to need a bit more work, so I'm continuing with
rox-term for now. (It's very similar to gnome-terminal.) I don't
really use file managers at all except for things like browsing images
and fonts; the terminal emulator is my most important tool. My main
reason for running KDE is it's an easy way to get the full
functionality of apps written for it. I'm too old-fashioned and messy
to care about some sort of "full user experience". :)

volkerarmin at googlemail

Aug 27, 2009, 6:18 PM

Re: Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

On Freitag 28 August 2009, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
> On Fri, August 28, 2009 02:01, Frank Peters wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:34:24 +0200
> >
> >> oh really? can mc present an audiocd as ogg/mp3/flac/wav files?
> >>
> >> I don't think so.
> >
> > I am not sure what is meant by "present an audio cd," but mc can be
> > programmed by the user to accomplish a lot of tasks based on the file
> > type. Therefore, although I have not researched this specific
> > possibility, I would be inclined to believe that it can be done with mc.
>
> He is talking about a kio-slave that does kind of like the cdfs kernel
> module, though in a more limited way.
>
> In kde, when you enter a cdaudio in your drive and open it, this
> kio-slave presents you the cdaudio disk in an fs-like fashion, with
> a number of folders. One folder containing ogg files, other mp3 files,
> other wav files, and so on, depending on your USE flags and such things
>
> This allows you to rip the thing by just dragging files into another
> folder, though to tell the truth, it never worked reliably for me in
> kde3, I have no idea if it has improved.
>
> mc already do this for a number of formats, like iso, via vfs's, I have
> no idea how complex would it be to develop this for cdaudio, but, as said
> we have cdfs anyway, and mc is not meant to be an audio encoder at all.
> I'd vote against this, unless it can be implemented purely as an vfs
> module or as an external addon without touching a single line of the mc
> core.

and cdfs also does the id3 tags?

btw, it worked reliable in kde3 for me and it still works reliable in kde4

frank.peters at comcast

Aug 27, 2009, 6:27 PM

Re: Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 02:42:00 +0200
Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj [at] terra> wrote:

> In kde, when you enter a cdaudio in your drive and open it, this
> kio-slave presents you the cdaudio disk in an fs-like fashion, with
> a number of folders. One folder containing ogg files, other mp3 files,
> other wav files, and so on, depending on your USE flags and such things
>
> This allows you to rip the thing by just dragging files into another
> folder, though to tell the truth, it never worked reliably for me in
> kde3, I have no idea if it has improved.

That's nice. But with a bash script using less that a dozen lines
of code one could accomplish the same thing and much, much more.
The ripped wav files could easily be normalized, equalized, dithered,
low-pass or high-pass or band-pass filtered, mixed, companded, etc., etc.,
before being finally compressed into flac, mac, ape, shorten, ogg, mp3,
etc., etc., etc., and then even burned onto another CD/DVD or medium
of choice.

Let's see KDE with its 10,000 (I jest) support libraries top that.

Frank Peters

i92guboj at terra

Aug 27, 2009, 6:33 PM

Re: Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

On Fri, August 28, 2009 03:18, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Freitag 28 August 2009, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
>
>> On Fri, August 28, 2009 02:01, Frank Peters wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:34:24 +0200

>>> I am not sure what is meant by "present an audio cd," but mc can be
>>> programmed by the user to accomplish a lot of tasks based on the file
>>> type. Therefore, although I have not researched this specific
>>> possibility, I would be inclined to believe that it can be done with
>>> mc.
>>
>> He is talking about a kio-slave that does kind of like the cdfs kernel
>> module, though in a more limited way.
>>
>> In kde, when you enter a cdaudio in your drive and open it, this
>> kio-slave presents you the cdaudio disk in an fs-like fashion, with a
>> number of folders. One folder containing ogg files, other mp3 files,
>> other wav files, and so on, depending on your USE flags and such things
>>

>> This allows you to rip the thing by just dragging files into another
>> folder, though to tell the truth, it never worked reliably for me in
>> kde3, I have no idea if it has improved.
>>
>> mc already do this for a number of formats, like iso, via vfs's, I have
>> no idea how complex would it be to develop this for cdaudio, but, as
>> said we have cdfs anyway, and mc is not meant to be an audio encoder at
>> all. I'd vote against this, unless it can be implemented purely as an
>> vfs module or as an external addon without touching a single line of the
>> mc core.
>
> and cdfs also does the id3 tags?

You really don't understand the nature of command line tools. Usually,
no tool will do everything. They concentrate on a task, and do it well.
I don't think cdfs does that, it does't need to. It's an fs driver...

You can copy the file to wherever you want, and encode it and tag it
however you want. Including that into cdfs would be a nonsense, it would
replicate the functionality that's already there.

--
Jesús Guerrero

volkerarmin at googlemail

Aug 27, 2009, 6:39 PM

Re: Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

On Freitag 28 August 2009, Frank Peters wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 02:42:00 +0200
>
> Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj [at] terra> wrote:
> > In kde, when you enter a cdaudio in your drive and open it, this
> > kio-slave presents you the cdaudio disk in an fs-like fashion, with
> > a number of folders. One folder containing ogg files, other mp3 files,
> > other wav files, and so on, depending on your USE flags and such things
> >
> > This allows you to rip the thing by just dragging files into another
> > folder, though to tell the truth, it never worked reliably for me in
> > kde3, I have no idea if it has improved.
>
> That's nice. But with a bash script using less that a dozen lines
> of code one could accomplish the same thing and much, much more.
> The ripped wav files could easily be normalized, equalized, dithered,
> low-pass or high-pass or band-pass filtered, mixed, companded, etc., etc.,
> before being finally compressed into flac, mac, ape, shorten, ogg, mp3,
> etc., etc., etc., and then even burned onto another CD/DVD or medium
> of choice.
>
> Let's see KDE with its 10,000 (I jest) support libraries top that.

it already does.

volkerarmin at googlemail

Aug 27, 2009, 6:39 PM

Re: Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

On Freitag 28 August 2009, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
> On Fri, August 28, 2009 03:18, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> >> He is talking about a kio-slave that does kind of like the cdfs kernel
> >> module, though in a more limited way.
> >>
> >> In kde, when you enter a cdaudio in your drive and open it, this
> >> kio-slave presents you the cdaudio disk in an fs-like fashion, with a
> >> number of folders. One folder containing ogg files, other mp3 files,
> >> other wav files, and so on, depending on your USE flags and such things
> >>

> >> This allows you to rip the thing by just dragging files into another
> >> folder, though to tell the truth, it never worked reliably for me in
> >> kde3, I have no idea if it has improved.
> >>
> >> mc already do this for a number of formats, like iso, via vfs's, I have
> >> no idea how complex would it be to develop this for cdaudio, but, as
> >> said we have cdfs anyway, and mc is not meant to be an audio encoder at
> >> all. I'd vote against this, unless it can be implemented purely as an
> >> vfs module or as an external addon without touching a single line of the
> >> mc core.
> >
> > and cdfs also does the id3 tags?
>
> You really don't understand the nature of command line tools. Usually,
> no tool will do everything. They concentrate on a task, and do it well.
> I don't think cdfs does that, it does't need to. It's an fs driver...
>
> You can copy the file to wherever you want, and encode it and tag it
> however you want. Including that into cdfs would be a nonsense, it would
> replicate the functionality that's already there.

so why are you even bringing cdfs up?

i92guboj at terra

Aug 27, 2009, 6:44 PM

Re: Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

On Fri, August 28, 2009 03:39, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Freitag 28 August 2009, Jesús Guerrero wrote:

>>> and cdfs also does the id3 tags?
>>
>> You really don't understand the nature of command line tools. Usually,
>> no tool will do everything. They concentrate on a task, and do it well. I
>> don't think cdfs does that, it does't need to. It's an fs driver...
>>
>> You can copy the file to wherever you want, and encode it and tag it
>> however you want. Including that into cdfs would be a nonsense, it would
>> replicate the functionality that's already there.
>
> so why are you even bringing cdfs up?

Nevermind.
--
Jesús Guerrero

1i5t5.duncan at cox

Aug 28, 2009, 1:14 AM

Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

Barry Schwartz posted on Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:54:58 -0500 as excerpted:

> Konsole for 4 seems to need a bit more work,

What issues are you seeing? That's /one/ major kde thing I use that I
had /no/ problems with the 4.x version on, at least since 4.2.4. I don't
believe I ran it enough before that to really know, since kde4 as a whole
simply wasn't working well enough to do more than play with it, and
konsole is primarily a work tool. =:^)

1i5t5.duncan at cox

Aug 28, 2009, 1:37 AM

Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

Jesús Guerrero posted on Fri, 28 Aug 2009 02:18:56 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Fri, August 28, 2009 01:52, Duncan wrote:
>> Jesús Guerrero posted on Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:08:07 +0200 as excerpted:
>>

>>> Just for the record, things like compiz work preferctly in an nvidia
>>> 6200, agp. They will work without a problem in an hd2600 which is a
>>> much
>>> better card, agp as well.
>>
>> Hmm, I wasn't aware the Radeons (I assume you're talking about here, I
>> don't even bother with nVidia any more and have no idea their model
>> numbers) had AGP available beyond the r5xx (thru x1950) series. Got a
>> link? But I hadn't finished researching and actually bought, either.
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?
CatId=318&name=AGP%20Video%20Cards

> The first thing I found in google, you can see there an nvidia geforce
> 7600, it's agp. The 7xxx is the last series of nvidia with agp support,
> though in some parts it's quite difficult to find one.

Well, the nVidia might be nice, but I asked specifically for Radeon (tho
other well freedomware driver supported or headed that way card would
work) as well as AGP, because Radeon is AFAIK the best freedomware
supported hardware available.

But... (vv)

> You can also see an ati radeon 2400 there, I own one however I can't say
> I am really happy with it. But that's another story and I don't want to
> spoil the thread more than it already is.

hd2400, right? I'll have to take a look, now that I know it's
available. That's r6xx I believe, and while freedomware support is still
a bit rough, come about the end of the year or early next, it should be
coming right into its own.

Plus at least the PCI-E versions I saw were substantially cheaper than
the $150 x1950 I was looking at. But while an r6xx chip, the x1950 is
top of the r5xx line while the hd2400 is near the bottom of the r6xx
line, so the x1950 may well be better performing.

> My only point is there there are *lots* of agp cards that are more than
> capable of doing desktop effects of any kind. The beryl/compiz stuff was
> born much before pci-e was in our houses. :)

Yes, but Intel is on-board-only, AFAIK, so out as far as an expansion
card, nVidia freedomware drivers just aren't there yet and may never be
without nVidia's cooperation at least on documentation (and they'd still
be out for me, as they are NOT cooperating, and there's a reasonable
alternative that is), Via has started to cooperate and got a big boost in
freedomware points for hiring Herald Welte as their FLOSS community
liason but is a good year behind AMD/ATI, Matrox seems to be out of the
game now or at least it's been a very long time since I read about any
new product... and the only one left is AMD/ATI with their Radeons.

Now, on the Radeons, thru the r5xx chips (thus thru x1950 cards) are well
supported now, and the r6xx and r7xx are getting there but will be
another few months. But I (obviously mistakenly) thought the r5xx was as
high as AGP went, so I thought the x1950 was the top of the line in terms
of what I could upgrade to.

It may still be that the x1950 is my top option, but I know there's r6xx
AGP cards now, something I didn't know before, and so at least have
another option, and it may be I now have equal performance at better than
that $150 the x1950 seems to run, or better performance at about the same
price. I have the extra option to research, now.

i92guboj at terra

Aug 28, 2009, 1:54 AM

Re: Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

> Well, the nVidia might be nice, but I asked specifically for Radeon (tho
> other well freedomware driver supported or headed that way card would work)
> as well as AGP, because Radeon is AFAIK the best freedomware supported
> hardware available.
>
> But... (vv)

I think that yes, along with intel. Couldn't tell you what's better
supported. Expect trouble with r6xx based cards *right now*, though.
3d doesn't work, at least not officially. Work is being done, but not
quite ready for production.

If you need 3d acceleration with the open driver, then use an older
card, r5xx based.

>> You can also see an ati radeon 2400 there, I own one however I can't
>> say I am really happy with it. But that's another story and I don't want
>> to spoil the thread more than it already is.
>
> hd2400, right? I'll have to take a look, now that I know it's available.
> That's r6xx I believe, and while freedomware support is still
> a bit rough, come about the end of the year or early next, it should be
> coming right into its own.

I own a 2400 and I can tell you it's a pain to
get radeon working with it. Not even 2d works ok (no dri, which means
not even 2d acceleration, very slow, and NO XVIDEO, which is a major
flaw). For some others it seems to work ok. It doesn't seem to work
too well with multihead, maybe my problems come because of that, I
don't really know.

As you say, the radeon/radeonhd driveris coming, slowly, but eventually
it will catch up, however, *right now*, if you plan to use OSS drivers
only, you are better with older hardware. They might work on some months,
but it could very well take more time, it just depends on how the thing
develops.

--
Jesús Guerrero

chemoelectric at chemoelectric

Aug 28, 2009, 1:56 AM

Re: Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

Duncan <1i5t5.duncan [at] cox> skribis:
> Barry Schwartz posted on Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:54:58 -0500 as excerpted:
>
> > Konsole for 4 seems to need a bit more work,
>
> What issues are you seeing?

No background image support, apparently (I couldn't find it, and
Googling made me think it wasn't there yet). I use a simulation of
handmade paper; it shows off fonts well.

1i5t5.duncan at cox

Aug 28, 2009, 3:00 AM

Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

Barry Schwartz posted on Fri, 28 Aug 2009 03:56:33 -0500 as excerpted:

> Duncan <1i5t5.duncan [at] cox> skribis:
>> Barry Schwartz posted on Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:54:58 -0500 as excerpted:
>>
>> > Konsole for 4 seems to need a bit more work,
>>
>> What issues are you seeing?
>
> No background image support, apparently (I couldn't find it, and
> Googling made me think it wasn't there yet). I use a simulation of
> handmade paper; it shows off fonts well.

Hmm, yes, I believe you're right.

As I prefer light foreground on dark background (like a normal text-mode
VC), "Linux Colors" is the color-scheme I always use, and it works well
for me, particularly since I the color-codes for ls and portage, etc,
probably show up better on a dark background since that's what they're
designed for.

But if you prefer a light background, but not /too/ light (thus a light
but not white paper texture/color), there's several schemes that do that,
but it doesn't appear that there's actual image background yet, you're
right.

I was just asking because I couldn't really imagine konsole not
working... but it seems it's color-scheme you're having problems with,
not broken functionality. And I can identify, because I sure have
problems with light backgrounds, so I can't blame you for being picky
about wanting your particular color/image-background setup at all. I'd
certainly find it unacceptable if all it had were light backgrounds!

peter at humphrey

Aug 30, 2009, 3:16 PM

Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

On Sunday 23 August 2009 18:04:45 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> Reading your emails takes more time than installing kde.

So do what I did a few years ago: put him in your kill file.

Peace.

--
Rgds
Peter.

1i5t5.duncan at cox

Aug 30, 2009, 11:58 PM

Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

Peter Humphrey posted on Sun, 30 Aug 2009 23:16:13 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Sunday 23 August 2009 18:04:45 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>
>> Reading your emails takes more time than installing kde.
>
> So do what I did a few years ago: put him in your kill file.

Indeed. No need to get huffy about it. If it bothers you that much,
simply killfile it. Let me assure you, /I'll/ not be offended.

That's what killfiles are for, after all. I've said it before and I'll
say it again, I'm here to try to help people, and I believe this thread
has demonstrated that my posts are helpful for /some/ users, anyway. If
for you I'm a hinderance, than far better for both of us that I /am/ in
your killfile.

me at junc

Sep 1, 2009, 3:36 PM

Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers, [In reply to]

On man 31 aug 2009 00:16:13 CEST, Peter Humphrey wrote
> On Sunday 23 August 2009 18:04:45 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>> Reading your emails takes more time than installing kde.
> So do what I did a few years ago: put him in your kill file.

stop pay your isp for internet connect, stops all remaining problems aswell

if all mails on maillists was ebuilds that is stable, there was no
more windows 7

--
xpoint