Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: AMD64

Playing reference MOVs

Gentoo amd64 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

sebastian.redl at getdesigned

Playing reference MOVs

Hi,

Does anyone know a 64-bit free media player (or other utility) that can
dereference reference MOVs? I can't seem to find anything via Google. I
want to download a movie trailer for offline viewing, but find myself
thwarted.

Sebastian

sebastian.redl at getdesigned

Re: Re: Playing reference MOVs [In reply to]

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Sebastian Redl wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know a 64-bit free media player (or other utility) that can
>> dereference reference MOVs? I can't seem to find anything via Google. I
>> want to download a movie trailer for offline viewing, but find myself
>> thwarted.
>
> A URL to an example would be helpful.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/princessandthefrog/hd/

This page has trailers for Disney's new movie, but they're reference
MOVs. I can't find a way to play them short of trying to install QuickTime.

Sebastian

paul.hartman+gentoo at gmail

Re: Re: Playing reference MOVs [In reply to]

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Sebastian Redl
<sebastian.redl [at] getdesigned> wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> Sebastian Redl wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know a 64-bit free media player (or other utility) that can
>>> dereference reference MOVs? I can't seem to find anything via Google. I
>>> want to download a movie trailer for offline viewing, but find myself
>>> thwarted.
>>
>> A URL to an example would be helpful.
>>
> http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/princessandthefrog/hd/
>
> This page has trailers for Disney's new movie, but they're reference
> MOVs. I can't find a way to play them short of trying to install QuickTime.
>
> Sebastian

Mplayer played it just fine for me. 1080p version.

paul.hartman+gentoo at gmail

Re: Re: Playing reference MOVs [In reply to]

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Sebastian Redl
> <sebastian.redl [at] getdesigned> wrote:
>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

>>> A URL to an example would be helpful.
>>>
>> http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/princessandthefrog/hd/
>>
>> This page has trailers for Disney's new movie, but they're reference
>> MOVs. I can't find a way to play them short of trying to install QuickTime.
>>
>> Sebastian
>
> Mplayer played it just fine for me. 1080p version.

If you view the reference .mov in a text editor you can see the URL of
the actual video which you can download with wget or whatever...

1i5t5.duncan at cox

Re: Playing reference MOVs [In reply to]

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> posted
58965d8a0905131352v6cece43ap22447193975cf5f3 [at] mail, excerpted
below, on Wed, 13 May 2009 15:52:16 -0500:

> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Sebastian Redl
> <sebastian.redl [at] getdesigned> wrote:
>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

>>> A URL to an example would be helpful.
>>>
>> http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/princessandthefrog/hd/
>>
>> This page has trailers for Disney's new movie, but they're reference
>> MOVs. I can't find a way to play them short of trying to install
>> QuickTime.
>>
>> Sebastian
>
> Mplayer played it just fine for me. 1080p version.

kaffeine played it fine, via xine-lib (which may be using ffmpeg, I'm not
sure if it does for this codec or not), as well. I don't believe I've
any binary-only codecs, either.

So both xine-lib and mplayer can play it, along with anything that uses
them as a backend, which is pretty much anything video, on Linux. You
may have to play with USE flags a bit tho.

realnc at arcor

Re: Playing reference MOVs [In reply to]

Re: Re: Playing reference MOVs [In reply to]

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan [at] cox> wrote:
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> posted
> 58965d8a0905131352v6cece43ap22447193975cf5f3 [at] mail, excerpted
> below, on Wed, 13 May 2009 15:52:16 -0500:
>
>> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Sebastian Redl
>> <sebastian.redl [at] getdesigned> wrote:

>>> http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/princessandthefrog/hd/
>>>
>>> This page has trailers for Disney's new movie, but they're reference
>>> MOVs. I can't find a way to play them short of trying to install
>>> QuickTime.
>>>
>>> Sebastian
>>
>> Mplayer played it just fine for me. 1080p version.
>
> kaffeine played it fine, via xine-lib (which may be using ffmpeg, I'm not
> sure if it does for this codec or not), as well. I don't believe I've
> any binary-only codecs, either.
>
> So both xine-lib and mplayer can play it, along with anything that uses
> them as a backend, which is pretty much anything video, on Linux. You
> may have to play with USE flags a bit tho.

These are my mplayer version and USE flags:

media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p20090322 USE="X a52 aac aalib alsa amrnb
amrwb ass cddb cdio cdparanoia dirac directfb dts dv dvb dvd dvdnav
enca encode faac faad fbcon ftp gif iconv ipv6 jack joystick jpeg
libcaca live lzo mad mmx mmxext mng mp2 mp3 musepack nemesi network
openal opengl png pnm quicktime rar real rtc samba schroedinger sdl
speex sse sse2 ssse3 tga theora tremor truetype unicode v4l v4l2
vorbis x264 xanim xscreensaver xv xvid xvmc -3dnow -3dnowext
(-altivec) -arts -bidi -bindist -bl -cpudetection -custom-cflags
-custom-cpuopts -debug -dga -doc -dxr3 -esd -ggi -gtk -ladspa -lirc
-md5sum -nas -oss -pulseaudio -pvr -radio (-svga) -teletext -vdpau
(-vidix) (-win32codecs) -xinerama -zoran"

realnc at arcor

Re: Playing reference MOVs [In reply to]

Sebastian Redl wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> Sebastian Redl wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know a 64-bit free media player (or other utility) that can
>>> dereference reference MOVs? I can't seem to find anything via Google. I
>>> want to download a movie trailer for offline viewing, but find myself
>>> thwarted.
>> A URL to an example would be helpful.
>>
> http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/princessandthefrog/hd/
>
> This page has trailers for Disney's new movie, but they're reference
> MOVs. I can't find a way to play them short of trying to install QuickTime.

I have www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-0.9.5 installed. It's an MPlayer
plugin for Firefox and other compatible browsers. This means that the
video played immediately in the browser (I clicked the 720p version).
In the video, I right clicked in it while it was playing and selected
"Copy location". This resulted in:

http://movies.apple.com/movies/disney/princessandthefrog/princessandthefrog-tsr2_h720p.mov

being placed in my clipboard. I hope this will be helpful to you :)

sebastian.redl at getdesigned

Re: Re: Playing reference MOVs [In reply to]

On Wed, 13 May 2009 15:55:38 -0500, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Sebastian Redl
>> <sebastian.redl [at] getdesigned> wrote:

>>> http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/princessandthefrog/hd/
>>>
>>> This page has trailers for Disney's new movie, but they're reference
>>> MOVs. I can't find a way to play them short of trying to install
>>> QuickTime.
>>>
>>> Sebastian
>>
>> Mplayer played it just fine for me. 1080p version.
>>

> If you view the reference .mov in a text editor you can see the URL of
> the actual video which you can download with wget or whatever...

Thank you, that worked. I don't know why I only got gibberish when I tried
it the first time.

Sebastian

rich at thefreemanclan

Re: Re: Playing reference MOVs [In reply to]

Paul Hartman wrote:

> If you view the reference .mov in a text editor you can see the URL of
> the actual video which you can download with wget or whatever...

Your other option is the mplayer dump stream options. Those can be
handy if a video is behind some streaming server (such as using asf).
If mplayer can display it then it can save it.
Attachments: smime.p7s (3.70 KB)

hslists2 at zoznam

Re: Re: Playing reference MOVs [In reply to]

On Thu, 14 May 2009 09:23:51 -0400 Richard Freeman <rich [at] thefreemanclan> wrote:

> Your other option is the mplayer dump stream options. Those can be
> handy if a video is behind some streaming server (such as using asf).
> If mplayer can display it then it can save it.

Yeah, except those reference MOVs :-) It just dumps the reference to the real
media file (mplayer 1.0_rc2_p28450).

Robert

--
Robert Cernansky
E-mail: hslists2 [at] zoznam

paul.hartman+gentoo at gmail

Re: Re: Playing reference MOVs [In reply to]

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:52 AM, Sebastian Redl
<sebastian.redl [at] getdesigned> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 May 2009 15:55:38 -0500, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gentoo [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> Mplayer played it just fine for me. 1080p version.
>>>

>> If you view the reference .mov in a text editor you can see the URL of
>> the actual video which you can download with wget or whatever...
>>

> Thank you, that worked. I don't know why I only got gibberish when I tried
> it the first time.

You may also want to check out this:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/2484

(which I have not tried), it appears to maybe solve your problem a
different way.

sebastian.redl at getdesigned

Re: Re: Playing reference MOVs [In reply to]

Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:52 AM, Sebastian Redl
> <sebastian.redl [at] getdesigned> wrote:
>

>> Thank you, that worked. I don't know why I only got gibberish when I tried
>> it the first time.
>>

> You may also want to check out this:
>
> http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/2484
>
> (which I have not tried), it appears to maybe solve your problem a
> different way.

Interesting. Thanks.

Sebastian

Gentoo amd64 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded