Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: AMD64
External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista.

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

gentoo at appjaws

Mar 16, 2009, 2:53 AM

External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista.

I thought I had cracked my problem of writing to a usb external ntfs HD, but I
was wrong. Let me pose the problem and hopefully somebody out there will be
able to set me straight.
I have mp3 files on an internal HD in my gentoo box. I back this up to an
external usb HD formated for ext2 - no problems.
I have now bought another external HD which I want to copy my mp3's to and be
able to play them when the external HD is plugged into a vista machine.
So the HD is formated with ntfs and works with vista but when I plug it into
gentoo and mount either automatically or manually I can not write to the
disk. I just get an error message as a user -- "Unable to enter
file:///mnt/external. You do not have access rights to this location."
As root the permissions seem to be correct user=root,Group=root,Owner Can View
& Modify Content but if I try as user to create a folder I get "Could not
make folder /mnt/external/New Folder." message.

So the question is:- How do I get an external usb disk to be writable on
gentoo and vista?

Thanks for any help
Paul
--
This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux