Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: AMD64

HostAPD & ralink

Gentoo amd64 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

agtdino at teleline

Feb 7, 2008, 4:10 PM

HostAPD & ralink

Hello, I'm trying to configure a Access Point with ralink rt61,
when I run /etc/init.d/hostapd start say something that don't
exist /dev/wlan0 but ralink device is /dev/ra0. I've read that HostAPd
cannot run on any other device that non Atheros, (madwifi-ng) or
Prism :(

Any help will be apreciated.

Thank and regards

mateuszmierzwinski at o2

Feb 8, 2008, 2:07 AM

Re: HostAPD & ralink [In reply to]

agtdino pisze:
> Hello, I'm trying to configure a Access Point with ralink rt61,
> when I run /etc/init.d/hostapd start say something that don't
> exist /dev/wlan0 but ralink device is /dev/ra0. I've read that HostAPd
> cannot run on any other device that non Atheros, (madwifi-ng) or
> Prism :(
>
> Any help will be apreciated.
>
> Thank and regards

Ok, if You use hostAP you should have WiFi card that allows to run in AP
mode - most of new cards have it. But when hostAP was written, only
couple chipsets have ability to run in AP. If You cannot run on RT/RA
link card with hostAP, there is some probability, that this card is not
supported with hostAP packege. I've having RT/RaLink card on PCMCIA but,
this card can run in AP mode under windows only with WINDOWS DRIVERS.
Simple: hostap is not packege for Your card.

PS: ndiswrapper allso don't work.

agtdino at teleline

Feb 8, 2008, 3:00 AM

Re: HostAPD & ralink [In reply to]

Thanks for the quick response,

this is the third network card that he discarded,
were incompatible with the kernel. When this ratlink
rt61 already functioning now is that the hostapd is not
enought devel to bear it.

Actally mine is a falilure for no having done planning
manufactures and incompatibilities presviously.

Grettings and thanks.

El vie, 08-02-2008 a las 10:07 +0100, Mateusz Mierzwinski escribió:
> agtdino pisze:
> > Hello, I'm trying to configure a Access Point with ralink rt61,
> > when I run /etc/init.d/hostapd start say something that don't
> > exist /dev/wlan0 but ralink device is /dev/ra0. I've read that HostAPd
> > cannot run on any other device that non Atheros, (madwifi-ng) or
> > Prism :(
> >
> > Any help will be apreciated.
> >
> > Thank and regards
> >

> Ok, if You use hostAP you should have WiFi card that allows to run in AP
> mode - most of new cards have it. But when hostAP was written, only
> couple chipsets have ability to run in AP. If You cannot run on RT/RA
> link card with hostAP, there is some probability, that this card is not
> supported with hostAP packege. I've having RT/RaLink card on PCMCIA but,
> this card can run in AP mode under windows only with WINDOWS DRIVERS.
> Simple: hostap is not packege for Your card.
>
> PS: ndiswrapper allso don't work.

mateuszmierzwinski at o2

Feb 8, 2008, 5:50 AM

Re: HostAPD & ralink [In reply to]

Mateusz Mierzwinski pisze:
> agtdino pisze:
>> Hello, I'm trying to configure a Access Point with ralink rt61, when
>> I run /etc/init.d/hostapd start say something that don't
>> exist /dev/wlan0 but ralink device is /dev/ra0. I've read that HostAPd
>> cannot run on any other device that non Atheros, (madwifi-ng) or
>> Prism :(
>>
>> Any help will be apreciated.
>>
>> Thank and regards
>>

> Ok, if You use hostAP you should have WiFi card that allows to run in
> AP mode - most of new cards have it. But when hostAP was written, only
> couple chipsets have ability to run in AP. If You cannot run on RT/RA
> link card with hostAP, there is some probability, that this card is
> not supported with hostAP packege. I've having RT/RaLink card on
> PCMCIA but, this card can run in AP mode under windows only with
> WINDOWS DRIVERS. Simple: hostap is not packege for Your card.
>
> PS: ndiswrapper allso don't work.
Try to get card with atheros or prism chipsets. Old, arm based AP have
that one built inside. If You have old AP, then card (PCMCIA) is inside...

miknix at gmail

Feb 8, 2008, 7:59 AM

Re: HostAPD & ralink [In reply to]

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:07:02 +0100
Mateusz Mierzwinski <mateuszmierzwinski [at] o2> wrote:

> agtdino pisze:
> > Hello, I'm trying to configure a Access Point with ralink rt61,
> > when I run /etc/init.d/hostapd start say something that don't
> > exist /dev/wlan0 but ralink device is /dev/ra0. I've read that HostAPd
> > cannot run on any other device that non Atheros, (madwifi-ng) or
> > Prism :(
> >
> > Any help will be apreciated.
> >
> > Thank and regards
> >

> Ok, if You use hostAP you should have WiFi card that allows to run in AP
> mode - most of new cards have it. But when hostAP was written, only
> couple chipsets have ability to run in AP. If You cannot run on RT/RA
> link card with hostAP, there is some probability, that this card is not
> supported with hostAP packege. I've having RT/RaLink card on PCMCIA but,
> this card can run in AP mode under windows only with WINDOWS DRIVERS.
> Simple: hostap is not packege for Your card.

Actually, hostapd DOES work with ralink chipsets.
I had a rt2500 device working as master some time ago.

You must use the rt2x00 driver and not the legacy ones.
Also, the rt2x00 version that used to work with hostapd is dropped
since they adopted a new wifi stack.

..So, you should use the new rt2x00 drivers that are merged
into the kernel.

Have a look at this post:
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4203&highlight=hostapd&sid=a110c6950d0a132108961fe6c4cfa1c6

You may want look deeper in the forum as the link above was
the the quickest result I found.

> PS: ndiswrapper allso don't work.

Greetings,
--