Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Alpha

kernel version and binutils issues

 

 

Gentoo alpha RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


davide.cittaro at ifom-ieo-campus

Jan 21, 2008, 6:17 AM

Post #1 of 4 (4789 views)
Permalink
kernel version and binutils issues

Hi again, since 2.4 has been deprecated, which is the latest 2.6.x
kernel with full support for SMP on alpha (titan)? Also, is written
that gentoo-sources or vanilla-sources should work well the same, so I
wonder which one I should try first.

Also, while I was trying the stage 1 installation I've went through an
error emerging binutils:

/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.18-r1/work/binutils-2.18/bfd/
trad-core.c: In function 'trad_unix_core_file_p':
/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.18-r1/work/binutils-2.18/bfd/
trad-core.c:122: error: 'PAGE_SIZE' undeclared (first use in this
function)
/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.18-r1/work/binutils-2.18/bfd/
trad-core.c:122: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
once
/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.18-r1/work/binutils-2.18/bfd/
trad-core.c:122: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[4]: *** [trad-core.lo] Error 1

I've found this:

http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2007-10/msg00003.html

that is a patch for glibc-2.4 but also works on 2.5

d
/*
Davide Cittaro
HPC and Bioinformatics Systems @ Informatics Core

IFOM - Istituto FIRC di Oncologia Molecolare
via adamello, 16
20139 Milano
Italy

tel.: +39(02)574303007
e-mail: davide.cittaro [at] ifom-ieo-campus
*/


yoswink at gentoo

Jan 21, 2008, 9:54 AM

Post #2 of 4 (4547 views)
Permalink
Re: kernel version and binutils issues [In reply to]

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 02:17:17PM +0100, Davide Cittaro wrote:
> Hi again, since 2.4 has been deprecated, which is the latest 2.6.x kernel
> with full support for SMP on alpha (titan)?

SMP alpha problems were fixed long ago (~2006) so latest stable should work
just fine.

> Also, is written that
> gentoo-sources or vanilla-sources should work well the same, so I wonder
> which one I should try first.

Whatever you prefer. We recommend gentoo-sources which recieve full
support from the Gentoo Kernel Team.

>
> Also, while I was trying the stage 1 installation I've went through an
> error emerging binutils:

Stage 1 and Stage 2 installations stop recieving support quite a long
time ago, so please, go for a stage3 one.

>
> /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.18-r1/work/binutils-2.18/bfd/trad-core.c:
> In function 'trad_unix_core_file_p':
> /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.18-r1/work/binutils-2.18/bfd/trad-core.c:122:
> error: 'PAGE_SIZE' undeclared (first use in this function)
> /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.18-r1/work/binutils-2.18/bfd/trad-core.c:122:
> error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.18-r1/work/binutils-2.18/bfd/trad-core.c:122:
> error: for each function it appears in.)
> make[4]: *** [trad-core.lo] Error 1
>

This is a known problem. Please try a stage3 clean install and if it
fails, create a bug report and I will check it.

--
Jose Luis Rivero <yoswink [at] gentoo>
Gentoo/Doc Gentoo/Alpha

--
gentoo-alpha [at] lists mailing list


davide.cittaro at ifom-ieo-campus

Jan 21, 2008, 12:30 PM

Post #3 of 4 (4554 views)
Permalink
Re: kernel version and binutils issues [In reply to]

On Jan 21, 2008, at 5:54 PM, Jose Luis Rivero wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 02:17:17PM +0100, Davide Cittaro wrote:
>> Hi again, since 2.4 has been deprecated, which is the latest 2.6.x
>> kernel
>> with full support for SMP on alpha (titan)?
>
> SMP alpha problems were fixed long ago (~2006) so latest stable
> should work
> just fine.
>

I'm glad to read this... I hope that tomorrow kernel building will go
fine :-)

>>
>> Also, while I was trying the stage 1 installation I've went through
>> an
>> error emerging binutils:
>
> Stage 1 and Stage 2 installations stop recieving support quite a long
> time ago, so please, go for a stage3 one.
>

Ouch! Is that the reason why gentoo handbook jumps from unpacking
stage to kernel configuration? Why stage1 and stage2 tarballs are
still on mirror?

>>
>> /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.18-r1/work/binutils-2.18/bfd/
>> trad-core.c:
>> In function 'trad_unix_core_file_p':
>> /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.18-r1/work/binutils-2.18/bfd/
>> trad-core.c:122:
>> error: 'PAGE_SIZE' undeclared (first use in this function)
>> /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.18-r1/work/binutils-2.18/bfd/
>> trad-core.c:122:
>> error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>> /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.18-r1/work/binutils-2.18/bfd/
>> trad-core.c:122:
>> error: for each function it appears in.)
>> make[4]: *** [trad-core.lo] Error 1
>>
>
> This is a known problem. Please try a stage3 clean install and if it
> fails, create a bug report and I will check it.
>

Great. I have to do this, even because I've just discovered that
stage2 has been blocked on coreutils building...

d

Davide Cittaro
davide.cittaro [at] ifom-ieo-campus

--
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to phish, and if
he gets caught he'll be eating that fish through a straw



--
gentoo-alpha [at] lists mailing list


davide.cittaro at ifom-ieo-campus

Jan 21, 2008, 1:19 PM

Post #4 of 4 (4720 views)
Permalink
Re: kernel version and binutils issues [In reply to]

On Jan 21, 2008, at 5:54 PM, Jose Luis Rivero wrote:

> Whatever you prefer. We recommend gentoo-sources which recieve full
> support from the Gentoo Kernel Team.


Here we are:

CC arch/alpha/kernel/core_titan.o
CC arch/alpha/kernel/sys_titan.o
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
arch/alpha/kernel/sys_titan.c: In function ‘titan_late_init’:
arch/alpha/kernel/sys_titan.c:281: warning: ignoring return value of
‘request_irq’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
arch/alpha/kernel/sys_titan.c:283: warning: ignoring return value of
‘request_irq’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
arch/alpha/kernel/sys_titan.c:285: warning: ignoring return value of
‘request_irq’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
arch/alpha/kernel/sys_titan.c:287: warning: ignoring return value of
‘request_irq’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
arch/alpha/kernel/sys_titan.c:289: warning: ignoring return value of
‘request_irq’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
arch/alpha/kernel/sys_titan.c: In function ‘privateer_init_pci’:
arch/alpha/kernel/sys_titan.c:348: warning: ignoring return value of
‘request_irq’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
arch/alpha/kernel/sys_titan.c:350: warning: ignoring return value of
‘request_irq’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
make[1]: *** [arch/alpha/kernel/sys_titan.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/alpha/kernel] Error 2

I'm not sure if removing -Werror from compilation flags would be a
good idea... any hint (this is gentoo-sources-2.6.22-r10)

d


Davide Cittaro
davide.cittaro [at] ifom-ieo-campus

--
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to phish, and if
he gets caught he'll be eating that fish through a straw



--
gentoo-alpha [at] lists mailing list

Gentoo alpha RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.