Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Alpha

KDE4 on Alpha

Gentoo alpha RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ialas at yahoo

Jun 27, 2011, 11:41 PM

KDE4 on Alpha

Dear Gentoo/Alpha geeks
tried to build KDE4 on my Alpha.Updated the system first to the current version but it was still not posssible to solveall required dependencies. In the end I could satisfy all dependencies for KDEbase butgot problems with QT.Has anybody successfully build KDE4 - which version of KDE4 and QT does work onAlpha ?Kindest regards,Ian

mattst88 at gentoo

Jun 29, 2011, 10:07 PM

Re: KDE4 on Alpha [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 2:41 AM, Ian Las <ialas [at] yahoo> wrote:

> Dear Gentoo/Alpha geeks
>
> tried to build KDE4 on my Alpha.
>
> Updated the system first to the current version but it was still not posssible to solve
>
> all required dependencies. In the end I could satisfy all dependencies for KDEbase but
>
> got problems with QT.
>
> Has anybody successfully build KDE4 - which version of KDE4 and QT does work on
>
> Alpha ?
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> Ian

Hi Ian!

Unfortunately, we don't have any plans to support KDE on Gentoo/Alpha.
It's a huge amount of software, and we simply don't have the man-power
to test it, much less fixing tons of bugs like unaligned accesses.

If you'd like to try it, you can use portage's --autounmask flag to
help install KDE. I perhaps could help with an occasional bug in Qt,
but beyond that, it's too much work.

Thanks, and sorry,

Matt

ialas at yahoo

Jul 6, 2011, 11:16 AM

Re: KDE4 on Alpha [In reply to]

Hi Matt,

thanks for the bad info - I actually like Koffice and this is the main reason why I am interested in KDE.
So I will give another try but as I have not much experience working with software it is complicated for me.

Thanks,

Ian