Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Alpha

Installing on SMP box.

Gentoo alpha RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

rikard.j at rikjoh

Sep 10, 2005, 2:02 AM

Installing on SMP box.

Hi all!

I am to try a SMP install of Gentoo, and was wondering if there are any
specail flags i need to set to make it more specialized for that.
What is a good minimal but still flexible set of flags?
I dont want to set them all just to be able to install some more "specialized"
software later on. I like the minimmal/fast thought :)

--
/Rikard

jeff_donsbach at yahoo

Sep 10, 2005, 9:12 AM

Re: Installing on SMP box. [In reply to]

Rickard,

Do you mean in terms of kernel configuration options,
or CFLAGS/USEFLAGS in make.conf?

Jeff D

--- Rikard Johnels <rikard.j [at] rikjoh> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I am to try a SMP install of Gentoo, and was
> wondering if there are any
> specail flags i need to set to make it more
> specialized for that.
> What is a good minimal but still flexible set of
> flags?
> I dont want to set them all just to be able to
> install some more "specialized"
> software later on. I like the minimmal/fast thought
> :)
>

> --
> /Rikard

> Rikard Johnels email :
> rikard.j [at] rikjoh
> Web :
> http://www.rikjoh.com
> Mob : +46 (0)763 19 76
> 25
> PGP : 0x461CEE56

rikard.j at rikjoh

Sep 10, 2005, 11:42 AM

Re: Installing on SMP box. [In reply to]

On Saturday 10 September 2005 18.12, Jeff Donsbach wrote:
> Rickard,
>
> Do you mean in terms of kernel configuration options,
> or CFLAGS/USEFLAGS in make.conf?
>
> Jeff D
>
> --- Rikard Johnels <rikard.j [at] rikjoh> wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I am to try a SMP install of Gentoo, and was
> > wondering if there are any
> > specail flags i need to set to make it more
> > specialized for that.
> > What is a good minimal but still flexible set of
> > flags?
> > I dont want to set them all just to be able to
> > install some more "specialized"
> > software later on. I like the minimmal/fast thought
> >
> > :)
> >
> > --
> > /Rikard

> > Rikard Johnels email :
> > rikard.j [at] rikjoh
> > Web :
> > http://www.rikjoh.com
> > Mob : +46 (0)763 19 76
> > 25
> > PGP : 0x461CEE56

CFLAGS/USEFLAGS.

The kernel comes later :)

--
/Rikard

jeff_donsbach at yahoo

Sep 10, 2005, 7:11 PM

Re: Installing on SMP box. [In reply to]

--- Rikard Johnels <rikard.j [at] rikjoh> wrote:

> CFLAGS/USEFLAGS.
>
> The kernel comes later :)

There really shouldn't be anything special in terms of
CFLAGS. Any multithreaded apps should add required
flags in their makes files.

For USE flags... I'm not sure... I've never installed
Gentoo on an SMP box. (anyone? Bueller? anyone?)

Jeff D

kloeri at gentoo

Sep 11, 2005, 7:16 AM

Re: Installing on SMP box. [In reply to]

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 07:11:03PM -0700, Jeff Donsbach wrote:

> --- Rikard Johnels <rikard.j [at] rikjoh> wrote:
> >
> > CFLAGS/USEFLAGS.
> >
> > The kernel comes later :)
>
> There really shouldn't be anything special in terms of
> CFLAGS. Any multithreaded apps should add required
> flags in their makes files.
>
> For USE flags... I'm not sure... I've never installed
> Gentoo on an SMP box. (anyone? Bueller? anyone?)
>
> Jeff D

Just make sure to set MAKEOPTS="-jX" correctly and maybe USE="smp" if
you use gimp.

Regards,
Bryan Ƙstergaard

jmaynard at gentoo

Sep 11, 2005, 7:22 AM

Re: Installing on SMP box. [In reply to]

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 04:16:10PM +0200, kloeri [at] gentoo wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 07:11:03PM -0700, Jeff Donsbach wrote:
> > For USE flags... I'm not sure... I've never installed
> > Gentoo on an SMP box. (anyone? Bueller? anyone?)
> Just make sure to set MAKEOPTS="-jX" correctly and maybe USE="smp" if
> you use gimp.

Indeed. I've installed Gentoo on a couple of SMP boxes, and it Just Works,
as long as you remember to build the kernel with SMP support. You don't even
*have* to use MAKEOPTS="-j<number>", but if you don't, you won't exploit
more than one processor while building things.