Mailing List Archive: Full Disclosure: Full-Disclosure

OT: OSX-PHP Dev Enviornment

Full Disclosure full-disclosure RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

thor at hammerofgod

Aug 1, 2012, 11:58 AM

OT: OSX-PHP Dev Enviornment

Greets all. Sorry for the OT, but I thought I'd ask here...

As you can guess, I've used Visual Studio to do web and application development for longer than I care to remember. Given that I've moved my production HoG facilities over to OSX, I now find myself missing the development environment VS afforded me as I migrate to PHP under Apache.

I'm using EditRocket atm, but I'm soliciting recommendations for a PHP dev environment that will provide the same functions (or close) as VS does in regard to syntax checking, code completion, etc. I'm actually surprised at how quickly I've synched up with PHP, but I'd still like a more professional environment. Free or Commercial doesn't matter.

I am thanking you.

ulisses.montenegro at gmail

Aug 1, 2012, 12:06 PM

Re: OT: OSX-PHP Dev Enviornment [In reply to]

I'm not a big fan of IDEs for dynamically typed languages, but if I had to
choose one I'd go with Komodo:

http://www.activestate.com/komodo-ide/features

It's multiplatform (don't know about how licenses work when using it across
platforms), reasonably fast and offers lots of extra goodies aside from the
editing/code browsing functionality.

They offer a free (as in beer) version called Komodo Edit which lacks most
of the best features of the commercial edition, but I guess you could check
it to see if interface suits you.

Ulisses

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Thor <thor [at] hammerofgod> wrote:

> Greets all. Sorry for the OT, but I thought I'd ask here...
>
> As you can guess, I've used Visual Studio to do web and application
> development for longer than I care to remember. Given that I've moved my
> production HoG facilities over to OSX, I now find myself missing the
> development environment VS afforded me as I migrate to PHP under Apache.
>
> I'm using EditRocket atm, but I'm soliciting recommendations for a PHP dev
> environment that will provide the same functions (or close) as VS does in
> regard to syntax checking, code completion, etc. I'm actually surprised
> at how quickly I've synched up with PHP, but I'd still like a more
> professional environment. Free or Commercial doesn't matter.
>
> I am thanking you.

“If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming
must be the process of putting them in.” - Edsger Dijkstra

kurt at idb-sys

Aug 1, 2012, 12:17 PM

Re: OT: OSX-PHP Dev Enviornment [In reply to]

Several years ago I was working in PHP regularly and trying to find
something similar to what you're looking for now. Given that up to this
point I had been using notepad exclusively (don't ask), anything was a step
up.

There is an add in for Visual Studio called VS.php which does a fairly good
job of allowing Visual Studio to deal with php code.
http://www.jcxsoftware.com/vs.php/

Dreamweaver is what I stuck with- it handles PHP natively, and is
outstanding (albeit pricy)

If you're just looking for syntax checking, notepad++ does a great job of
that.

Please note this research is a bit dated, so there is bound to be better
suggestions coming up.

Greets all. Sorry for the OT, but I thought I'd ask here...

As you can guess, I've used Visual Studio to do web and application
development for longer than I care to remember. Given that I've moved my
production HoG facilities over to OSX, I now find myself missing the
development environment VS afforded me as I migrate to PHP under Apache.

I'm using EditRocket atm, but I'm soliciting recommendations for a PHP dev
environment that will provide the same functions (or close) as VS does in
regard to syntax checking, code completion, etc. I'm actually surprised at
how quickly I've synched up with PHP, but I'd still like a more professional
environment. Free or Commercial doesn't matter.

I am thanking you.

thor at hammerofgod

Aug 1, 2012, 12:18 PM

Re: OT: OSX-PHP Dev Enviornment [In reply to]

Thanks - appreciated.

On Aug 1, 2012, at 12:06 PM, Ulisses Montenegro wrote:

> I'm not a big fan of IDEs for dynamically typed languages, but if I had to choose one I'd go with Komodo:
>
> http://www.activestate.com/komodo-ide/features
>
> It's multiplatform (don't know about how licenses work when using it across platforms), reasonably fast and offers lots of extra goodies aside from the editing/code browsing functionality.
>
> They offer a free (as in beer) version called Komodo Edit which lacks most of the best features of the commercial edition, but I guess you could check it to see if interface suits you.
>
> Ulisses
>
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Thor <thor [at] hammerofgod> wrote:
> Greets all. Sorry for the OT, but I thought I'd ask here...
>
> As you can guess, I've used Visual Studio to do web and application development for longer than I care to remember. Given that I've moved my production HoG facilities over to OSX, I now find myself missing the development environment VS afforded me as I migrate to PHP under Apache.
>
> I'm using EditRocket atm, but I'm soliciting recommendations for a PHP dev environment that will provide the same functions (or close) as VS does in regard to syntax checking, code completion, etc. I'm actually surprised at how quickly I've synched up with PHP, but I'd still like a more professional environment. Free or Commercial doesn't matter.
>
> I am thanking you.

> If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in. - Edsger Dijkstra

tyra3l at gmail

Aug 1, 2012, 12:24 PM

Re: OT: OSX-PHP Dev Enviornment [In reply to]

I would strongly suggest trying out http://www.jetbrains.com/phpstorm/

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Thor <thor [at] hammerofgod> wrote:

> Thanks - appreciated.

> On Aug 1, 2012, at 12:06 PM, Ulisses Montenegro wrote:
>
> I'm not a big fan of IDEs for dynamically typed languages, but if I had to
> choose one I'd go with Komodo:
>
> http://www.activestate.com/komodo-ide/features
>
> It's multiplatform (don't know about how licenses work when using it
> across platforms), reasonably fast and offers lots of extra goodies aside
> from the editing/code browsing functionality.
>
> They offer a free (as in beer) version called Komodo Edit which lacks most
> of the best features of the commercial edition, but I guess you could check
> it to see if interface suits you.
>
> Ulisses
>

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Thor <thor [at] hammerofgod> wrote:
>
>> Greets all. Sorry for the OT, but I thought I'd ask here...
>>
>> As you can guess, I've used Visual Studio to do web and application
>> development for longer than I care to remember. Given that I've moved my
>> production HoG facilities over to OSX, I now find myself missing the
>> development environment VS afforded me as I migrate to PHP under Apache.
>>
>> I'm using EditRocket atm, but I'm soliciting recommendations for a PHP
>> dev environment that will provide the same functions (or close) as VS does
>> in regard to syntax checking, code completion, etc. I'm actually
>> surprised at how quickly I've synched up with PHP, but I'd still like a
>> more professional environment. Free or Commercial doesn't matter.
>>
>> I am thanking you.

> “If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming
> must be the process of putting them in.” - Edsger Dijkstra

Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu

thor at hammerofgod

Aug 1, 2012, 12:27 PM

Re: OT: OSX-PHP Dev Enviornment [In reply to]

That looks quite cool as well! Zend has had a few recommendations too. But so has PHPStorm. I like the looks of it, actually.

This is why I ask the community as opposed to doing too much Goosearch. Much better feedback :)

On Aug 1, 2012, at 12:24 PM, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:

> I would strongly suggest trying out http://www.jetbrains.com/phpstorm/
>
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Thor <thor [at] hammerofgod> wrote:
> Thanks - appreciated.

> On Aug 1, 2012, at 12:06 PM, Ulisses Montenegro wrote:
>
>> I'm not a big fan of IDEs for dynamically typed languages, but if I had to choose one I'd go with Komodo:
>>
>> http://www.activestate.com/komodo-ide/features
>>
>> It's multiplatform (don't know about how licenses work when using it across platforms), reasonably fast and offers lots of extra goodies aside from the editing/code browsing functionality.
>>
>> They offer a free (as in beer) version called Komodo Edit which lacks most of the best features of the commercial edition, but I guess you could check it to see if interface suits you.
>>
>> Ulisses
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Thor <thor [at] hammerofgod> wrote:
>> Greets all. Sorry for the OT, but I thought I'd ask here...
>>
>> As you can guess, I've used Visual Studio to do web and application development for longer than I care to remember. Given that I've moved my production HoG facilities over to OSX, I now find myself missing the development environment VS afforded me as I migrate to PHP under Apache.
>>
>> I'm using EditRocket atm, but I'm soliciting recommendations for a PHP dev environment that will provide the same functions (or close) as VS does in regard to syntax checking, code completion, etc. I'm actually surprised at how quickly I've synched up with PHP, but I'd still like a more professional environment. Free or Commercial doesn't matter.
>>
>> I am thanking you.

>> --
>> If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in. - Edsger Dijkstra

> Ferenc Kovcs
> @Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu

thor at hammerofgod

Aug 1, 2012, 12:29 PM

Re: OT: OSX-PHP Dev Enviornment [In reply to]

Yep, I've got VS Ultimate and all the bells and whistles - but I'm operating strictly within the OSX environment for this.

I looked at DW too and agree that it is a bit pricey, but it may be worth it given the combined "normal" web dev tools.

Great infoz, thx.

On Aug 1, 2012, at 12:17 PM, Kurt Ellzey wrote:

> Several years ago I was working in PHP regularly and trying to find
> something similar to what you're looking for now. Given that up to this
> point I had been using notepad exclusively (don't ask), anything was a step
> up.
>
> There is an add in for Visual Studio called VS.php which does a fairly good
> job of allowing Visual Studio to deal with php code.
> http://www.jcxsoftware.com/vs.php/
>
> Dreamweaver is what I stuck with- it handles PHP natively, and is
> outstanding (albeit pricy)
>
> If you're just looking for syntax checking, notepad++ does a great job of
> that.
>
> Please note this research is a bit dated, so there is bound to be better
> suggestions coming up.

kelvin.white77 at gmail

Aug 1, 2012, 4:05 PM

Re: OT: OSX-PHP Dev Enviornment [In reply to]

emacs... learn it!

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Thor <thor [at] hammerofgod> wrote:

> That looks quite cool as well! Zend has had a few recommendations too.
> But so has PHPStorm. I like the looks of it, actually.
>
> This is why I ask the community as opposed to doing too much Goosearch.
> Much better feedback :)

> On Aug 1, 2012, at 12:24 PM, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:
>
> I would strongly suggest trying out http://www.jetbrains.com/phpstorm/
>
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Thor <thor [at] hammerofgod> wrote:
>
>> Thanks - appreciated.

>> On Aug 1, 2012, at 12:06 PM, Ulisses Montenegro wrote:
>>
>> I'm not a big fan of IDEs for dynamically typed languages, but if I had
>> to choose one I'd go with Komodo:
>>
>> http://www.activestate.com/komodo-ide/features
>>
>> It's multiplatform (don't know about how licenses work when using it
>> across platforms), reasonably fast and offers lots of extra goodies aside
>> from the editing/code browsing functionality.
>>
>> They offer a free (as in beer) version called Komodo Edit which lacks
>> most of the best features of the commercial edition, but I guess you could
>> check it to see if interface suits you.
>>
>> Ulisses
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Thor <thor [at] hammerofgod> wrote:
>>
>>> Greets all. Sorry for the OT, but I thought I'd ask here...
>>>
>>> As you can guess, I've used Visual Studio to do web and application
>>> development for longer than I care to remember. Given that I've moved my
>>> production HoG facilities over to OSX, I now find myself missing the
>>> development environment VS afforded me as I migrate to PHP under Apache.
>>>
>>> I'm using EditRocket atm, but I'm soliciting recommendations for a PHP
>>> dev environment that will provide the same functions (or close) as VS does
>>> in regard to syntax checking, code completion, etc. I'm actually
>>> surprised at how quickly I've synched up with PHP, but I'd still like a
>>> more professional environment. Free or Commercial doesn't matter.
>>>
>>> I am thanking you.

>> --
>> If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming
>> must be the process of putting them in. - Edsger Dijkstra

> Ferenc Kovcs
> @Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu

mike at itsecuritypros

Aug 1, 2012, 8:04 PM

Re: OT: OSX-PHP Dev Enviornment [In reply to]

Thor,

I like to use Coda - check it out.

https://panic.com/coda/

Greets all. Sorry for the OT, but I thought I'd ask here...

As you can guess, I've used Visual Studio to do web and application
development for longer than I care to remember. Given that I've moved my
production HoG facilities over to OSX, I now find myself missing the
development environment VS afforded me as I migrate to PHP under Apache.

I'm using EditRocket atm, but I'm soliciting recommendations for a PHP dev
environment that will provide the same functions (or close) as VS does in
regard to syntax checking, code completion, etc. I'm actually surprised at
how quickly I've synched up with PHP, but I'd still like a more professional
environment. Free or Commercial doesn't matter.

I am thanking you.

Attachments: smime.p7s (6.00 KB)

feighen at gmail

Aug 2, 2012, 12:41 AM

Re: OT: OSX-PHP Dev Enviornment [In reply to]

Hey

I've been using eclipse with pdt for a good few years now. Only real gripe
I have with it is it is rather heavy. Load time can be quite long.

Regards
Feighen

kelvin.white77 at gmail

Aug 2, 2012, 5:05 PM

Re: OT: OSX-PHP Dev Enviornment [In reply to]

I use emacs, but a few of my coworkers use sublime text. Personally I
haven't tried it out but it may be worth a look.