Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Full Disclosure: Full-Disclosure

Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran

 

 

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All Full Disclosure full-disclosure RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


noloader at gmail

Jun 4, 2012, 11:52 AM

Post #1 of 143 (1367 views)
Permalink
Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/world/middleeast/obama-ordered-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html

WASHINGTON — From his first months in office, President Obama secretly
ordered increasingly sophisticated attacks on the computer systems
that run Iran’s main nuclear enrichment facilities, significantly
expanding America’s first sustained use of cyberweapons, according to
participants in the program.
Hasan Sarbakhshian/Associated Press

Mr. Obama decided to accelerate the attacks — begun in the Bush
administration and code-named Olympic Games — even after an element of
the program accidentally became public in the summer of 2010 because
of a programming error that allowed it to escape Iran’s Natanz plant
and sent it around the world on the Internet. Computer security
experts who began studying the worm, which had been developed by the
United States and Israel, gave it a name: Stuxnet.

At a tense meeting in the White House Situation Room within days of
the worm’s “escape,” Mr. Obama, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and
the director of the Central Intelligence Agency at the time, Leon E.
Panetta, considered whether America’s most ambitious attempt to slow
the progress of Iran’s nuclear efforts had been fatally compromised.
...

_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/


jesler at sourcefire

Jun 4, 2012, 12:01 PM

Post #2 of 143 (1333 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

So, a quote, from a book? Isn't that kinda circular?

Also, there are no quotes from anyone in the room and no one is referenced except by association. Not saying it's not true, but there's nothing there that indicates it is.

The only people who will know if this is 100% true were in the Oval Office at the time, and those people aren't going to be quoted in a NYTimes article.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/%22Citation_needed%22.jpg

--
Joel Esler


On Monday, June 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/world/middleeast/obama-ordered-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html
>
> WASHINGTON — From his first months in office, President Obama secretly
> ordered increasingly sophisticated attacks on the computer systems
> that run Iran’s main nuclear enrichment facilities, significantly
> expanding America’s first sustained use of cyberweapons, according to
> participants in the program.
> Hasan Sarbakhshian/Associated Press
>
> Mr. Obama decided to accelerate the attacks — begun in the Bush
> administration and code-named Olympic Games — even after an element of
> the program accidentally became public in the summer of 2010 because
> of a programming error that allowed it to escape Iran’s Natanz plant
> and sent it around the world on the Internet. Computer security
> experts who began studying the worm, which had been developed by the
> United States and Israel, gave it a name: Stuxnet.
>
> At a tense meeting in the White House Situation Room within days of
> the worm’s “escape,” Mr. Obama, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and
> the director of the Central Intelligence Agency at the time, Leon E.
> Panetta, considered whether America’s most ambitious attempt to slow
> the progress of Iran’s nuclear efforts had been fatally compromised.
> ...
>
> _______________________________________________
> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
> Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
>
>


alexander.georgiev at daloo

Jun 4, 2012, 11:52 PM

Post #3 of 143 (1301 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Am 04.06.2012 21:01, schrieb Joel Esler:
> So, a quote, from a book? Isn't that kinda circular?
>
> Also, there are no quotes from anyone in the room and no one is
> referenced except by association. Not saying it's not true, but
> there's nothing there that indicates it is.
>
> The only people who will know if this is 100% true were in the Oval
> Office at the time, and those people aren't going to be quoted in a
> NYTimes article.
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/%22Citation_needed%22.jpg
>
> --
> Joel Esler
>
> On Monday, June 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>
>> https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/world/middleeast/obama-ordered-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html
>>
>> WASHINGTON --- From his first months in office, President Obama secretly
>> ordered increasingly sophisticated attacks on the computer systems
>> that run Iran's main nuclear enrichment facilities, significantly
>> expanding America's first sustained use of cyberweapons, according to
>> participants in the program.
>> Hasan Sarbakhshian/Associated Press
>>
>> Mr. Obama decided to accelerate the attacks --- begun in the Bush
>> administration and code-named Olympic Games --- even after an element of
>> the program accidentally became public in the summer of 2010 because
>> of a programming error that allowed it to escape Iran's Natanz plant
>> and sent it around the world on the Internet. Computer security
>> experts who began studying the worm, which had been developed by the
>> United States and Israel, gave it a name: Stuxnet.
>>
>> At a tense meeting in the White House Situation Room within days of
>> the worm's "escape," Mr. Obama, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and
>> the director of the Central Intelligence Agency at the time, Leon E.
>> Panetta, considered whether America's most ambitious attempt to slow
>> the progress of Iran's nuclear efforts had been fatally compromised.
>> ...
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
>> Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
>> Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
> Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/


guninski at guninski

Jun 5, 2012, 7:01 AM

Post #4 of 143 (1326 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

From thereg:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/01/stuxnet_joint_us_israeli_op/
US officials confirm Stuxnet was a joint US-Israeli op
Well, sure ... so why are you telling us, Mr President?




On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 02:52:51PM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/world/middleeast/obama-ordered-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html
>
> WASHINGTON — From his first months in office, President Obama secretly
> ordered increasingly sophisticated attacks on the computer systems
> that run Iran’s main nuclear enrichment facilities, significantly
> expanding America’s first sustained use of cyberweapons, according to
> participants in the program.
> Hasan Sarbakhshian/Associated Press
>
> Mr. Obama decided to accelerate the attacks — begun in the Bush
> administration and code-named Olympic Games — even after an element of
> the program accidentally became public in the summer of 2010 because
> of a programming error that allowed it to escape Iran’s Natanz plant
> and sent it around the world on the Internet. Computer security
> experts who began studying the worm, which had been developed by the
> United States and Israel, gave it a name: Stuxnet.
>
> At a tense meeting in the White House Situation Room within days of
> the worm’s “escape,” Mr. Obama, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and
> the director of the Central Intelligence Agency at the time, Leon E.
> Panetta, considered whether America’s most ambitious attempt to slow
> the progress of Iran’s nuclear efforts had been fatally compromised.
> ...
>
> _______________________________________________
> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
> Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/

_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/


valdis.kletnieks at vt

Jun 5, 2012, 8:53 AM

Post #5 of 143 (1324 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 17:01:49 +0300, Georgi Guninski said:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/01/stuxnet_joint_us_israeli_op/
> US officials confirm Stuxnet was a joint US-Israeli op
> Well, sure ... so why are you telling us, Mr President?

Posturing and positioning, mostly. Before the announcement, foreign states had
to base their strategies on "The US *may* have the ability to create a Stuxnet,
but it's not certain they have any ability at all". Now, they have to plan
based on "They certainly have Stuxnet-level ability, and almost certainly have
even more in their bag of tricks that they haven't admitted to".


slash.pd at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 9:12 AM

Post #6 of 143 (1326 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

lets not 4get => Waychopee and Electric Skillet

http://www.theage.com.au/news/breaking/weathering-the-cyber-storm/2006/02/11/1139542441421.html
http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2005/05/67644
On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM, <valdis.kletnieks [at] vt> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 17:01:49 +0300, Georgi Guninski said:
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/01/stuxnet_joint_us_israeli_op/
> > US officials confirm Stuxnet was a joint US-Israeli op
> > Well, sure ... so why are you telling us, Mr President?
>
> Posturing and positioning, mostly. Before the announcement, foreign
> states had
> to base their strategies on "The US *may* have the ability to create a
> Stuxnet,
> but it's not certain they have any ability at all". Now, they have to plan
> based on "They certainly have Stuxnet-level ability, and almost certainly
> have
> even more in their bag of tricks that they haven't admitted to".
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
> Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
>


slash.pd at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 11:03 AM

Post #7 of 143 (1321 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

..and what good will that do ??

US have not signed the Rome Statute of the ICC .. so The Hague has no
jurisdciation of US citizens !

/pd
On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM, andrew.wallace <
andrew.wallace [at] rocketmail> wrote:

> Why isn't anyone launching a criminal investigation into US Govt
> involvement in Stuxnet and Flame?
>
> Interpol should be investigating it and issuing arrest warrants, then
> individuals taken to The Hague for war crimes.
>
> ---
>
> Andrew Wallace
>
> @n3td3v
>


valdis.kletnieks at vt

Jun 5, 2012, 11:17 AM

Post #8 of 143 (1323 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 14:03:58 -0400, Peter Dawson said:

Please don't feed the troll.

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM, andrew.wallace <
> andrew.wallace [at] rocketmail> wrote:

> > Interpol should be investigating it and issuing arrest warrants, then
> > individuals taken to The Hague for war crimes.

Interpol is unable to issue arrest warrants, as they are merely an information
clearinghouse and coordination center. This is a very common misconception
about Interpol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpol#Methodology

In other words, Andrew is going on about stuff he doesn't understand again.


sweetlipsbutterhoney+fulldisc at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 12:06 PM

Post #9 of 143 (1280 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

There's an election year in the US. A president has not been re-elected in
the last 40 years when the unemployment rate is above 8% which is where we
may end up come November. I file this story in the same place as the pomp
and circumstance the President performed around the anniversary of the
killing of Bin Laden. Anything to distract from the moribund economy.

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Georgi Guninski <guninski [at] guninski>wrote:

> From thereg:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/01/stuxnet_joint_us_israeli_op/
> US officials confirm Stuxnet was a joint US-Israeli op
> Well, sure ... so why are you telling us, Mr President?
>
>
>
>
> On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 02:52:51PM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> >
> https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/world/middleeast/obama-ordered-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html
> >
> > WASHINGTON From his first months in office, President Obama secretly
> > ordered increasingly sophisticated attacks on the computer systems
> > that run Irans main nuclear enrichment facilities, significantly
> > expanding Americas first sustained use of cyberweapons, according to
> > participants in the program.
> > Hasan Sarbakhshian/Associated Press
> >
> > Mr. Obama decided to accelerate the attacks begun in the Bush
> > administration and code-named Olympic Games even after an element of
> > the program accidentally became public in the summer of 2010 because
> > of a programming error that allowed it to escape Irans Natanz plant
> > and sent it around the world on the Internet. Computer security
> > experts who began studying the worm, which had been developed by the
> > United States and Israel, gave it a name: Stuxnet.
> >
> > At a tense meeting in the White House Situation Room within days of
> > the worms escape, Mr. Obama, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and
> > the director of the Central Intelligence Agency at the time, Leon E.
> > Panetta, considered whether Americas most ambitious attempt to slow
> > the progress of Irans nuclear efforts had been fatally compromised.
> > ...
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> > Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
> > Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
> Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
>


marcio.barbado at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 12:20 PM

Post #10 of 143 (1319 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

Mission accomplished.

Corporatocrat White House puppet, the Times once more manages to
distract even conscious American citizens, removing focus of what
really matters, that is, an imminent *real* war against China:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18305750


On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader [at] gmail> wrote:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/world/middleeast/obama-ordered-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html
>
> WASHINGTON — From his first months in office, President Obama secretly
> ordered increasingly sophisticated attacks on the computer systems
> that run Iran’s main nuclear enrichment facilities, significantly
> expanding America’s first sustained use of cyberweapons, according to
> participants in the program.
> Hasan Sarbakhshian/Associated Press
>
> Mr. Obama decided to accelerate the attacks — begun in the Bush
> administration and code-named Olympic Games — even after an element of
> the program accidentally became public in the summer of 2010 because
> of a programming error that allowed it to escape Iran’s Natanz plant
> and sent it around the world on the Internet. Computer security
> experts who began studying the worm, which had been developed by the
> United States and Israel, gave it a name: Stuxnet.
>
> At a tense meeting in the White House Situation Room within days of
> the worm’s “escape,” Mr. Obama, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and
> the director of the Central Intelligence Agency at the time, Leon E.
> Panetta, considered whether America’s most ambitious attempt to slow
> the progress of Iran’s nuclear efforts had been fatally compromised.
> ...
>
> _______________________________________________
> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
> Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/



Marcio Barbado, Jr.

_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/


mrx at propergander

Jun 5, 2012, 12:28 PM

Post #11 of 143 (1320 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Whilst I agree with the general consensus regarding sustenance and trolls....

Double standards are commonplace amongst governments (regardless of nation).

Please be aware I am always right no matter how wrong I may appear to be to your deluded perception.
How do I know your perception is deluded, or just plain wrong? Because it does not concur with mine.

Besides, I have god on my side, he talks to me and gives me guidance, therefore I know I am right.

;-)




On 05/06/2012 19:17, valdis.kletnieks [at] vt wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 14:03:58 -0400, Peter Dawson said:
>
> Please don't feed the troll.
>
>> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM, andrew.wallace <
>> andrew.wallace [at] rocketmail> wrote:
>
>>> Interpol should be investigating it and issuing arrest warrants, then
>>> individuals taken to The Hague for war crimes.
>
> Interpol is unable to issue arrest warrants, as they are merely an information
> clearinghouse and coordination center. This is a very common misconception
> about Interpol.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpol#Methodology
>
> In other words, Andrew is going on about stuff he doesn't understand again.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
> Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEVAwUBT85d7rIvn8UFHWSmAQLVAAgAqlUbNsJy4pMVqiX+FUKq9NBjAOXrHrDp
Y6RvyNiKA0TTSN2/7Co6mAmVazi7CTQIMpZfBnsKJeWDk6+8jJZzAyLI9ZDfKI5z
vLxai36u9kMNql7YazzC2FuibaxU1xZX6o3chWHU1EtDENTRrHE1gc9SnLP/j6xO
hOXsvf8yDlDNq4PEfqPbg5h8W+ScQTS6/OvSlCnn4DE8tYn3blyNHb2kR+ZTB8yZ
nLLGDNGDJL4/z/I6JOhAqcHAiqbJF/CCt5gRyJ9mkDt+ts57rdcRg7LdiSXsZXb2
IeefURUJG2LQPXHGBftDTthnk6s4x6/hhKO8/3myOIRBYKHpe3POqA==
=2OxU
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/


valdis.kletnieks at vt

Jun 5, 2012, 12:43 PM

Post #12 of 143 (1319 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 16:20:04 -0300, "Marcio B. Jr." said:
> really matters, that is, an imminent *real* war against China:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18305750

One could equally well read that as "We're fed up and about to
pound North Korea even further back into the Stone Age".

Also, a move of 10% of the navy over the next 8 years doesn't
translate to "imminent".


marcio.barbado at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 12:57 PM

Post #13 of 143 (1319 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

Time will tell.

8 years, 10 years. That may seem medium-term in face of human beings'
average life expectancy.

My remark was about historical moments.

Beware, Americans. That is not Candid Camera stuff.


"... None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe
they are free..." — Goethe


On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 4:43 PM, <valdis.kletnieks [at] vt> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 16:20:04 -0300, "Marcio B. Jr." said:
>>  really matters, that is, an imminent *real* war against China:
>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18305750
>
> One could equally well read that as "We're fed up and about to
> pound North Korea even further back into the Stone Age".
>
> Also, a move of 10% of the navy over the next 8 years doesn't
> translate to "imminent".



Marcio Barbado, Jr.

_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/


laurelai at oneechan

Jun 6, 2012, 7:41 AM

Post #14 of 143 (1298 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

On 6/5/12 2:52 AM, Alexander Georgiev wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance
>
> Am 04.06.2012 21:01, schrieb Joel Esler:
>> So, a quote, from a book? Isn't that kinda circular?
>>
>> Also, there are no quotes from anyone in the room and no one is
>> referenced except by association. Not saying it's not true, but
>> there's nothing there that indicates it is.
>>
>> The only people who will know if this is 100% true were in the Oval
>> Office at the time, and those people aren't going to be quoted in a
>> NYTimes article.
>>
>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/%22Citation_needed%22.jpg
>>
>> --
>> Joel Esler
>>
>> On Monday, June 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/world/middleeast/obama-ordered-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html
>>>
>>> WASHINGTON --- From his first months in office, President Obama secretly
>>> ordered increasingly sophisticated attacks on the computer systems
>>> that run Iran's main nuclear enrichment facilities, significantly
>>> expanding America's first sustained use of cyberweapons, according to
>>> participants in the program.
>>> Hasan Sarbakhshian/Associated Press
>>>
>>> Mr. Obama decided to accelerate the attacks --- begun in the Bush
>>> administration and code-named Olympic Games --- even after an element of
>>> the program accidentally became public in the summer of 2010 because
>>> of a programming error that allowed it to escape Iran's Natanz plant
>>> and sent it around the world on the Internet. Computer security
>>> experts who began studying the worm, which had been developed by the
>>> United States and Israel, gave it a name: Stuxnet.
>>>
>>> At a tense meeting in the White House Situation Room within days of
>>> the worm's "escape," Mr. Obama, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and
>>> the director of the Central Intelligence Agency at the time, Leon E.
>>> Panetta, considered whether America's most ambitious attempt to slow
>>> the progress of Iran's nuclear efforts had been fatally compromised.
>>> ...
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
>>> Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
>>> Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
>> Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
>> Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
> Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
Is anyone else the least bit concerned that stuxnet was carried out by
the US Government? I mean lets look at this, the US Government committed
an act they themselves would consider cyber terrorism, infecting
millions of civilian machines. While they say it got "out of control"
and lets just go with that for simplicity, once it got out of control
wouldn't the right thing have been to shut it down instead of trying to
evade detection and continuing the project? How many antivirus vendors
were kept from doing their jobs during this? And how many were actively
cooperating? I know for a fact HBGary was working with the NSA in
regards to stuxnet. Was it really worth it to compromise the security
and privacy of millions of innocent people just to shut down some power
plants?

Oh and lets not forget the assassination of civilian scientists.

People seem to think that since the US Gov did it that makes it ok, well
I do not think it does. Especially when they throw kids with small
botnets in jail for being mad at the system cause its crooked.

I mean that has to be the largest cyber attack of all time, this makes
the shit the lulzsec people carried out look mild in comparison, and
those guys are facing a decade in jail and the person who wrote stuxnet
probably got a medal and a fat check.

Oh and message to the feds im sure watch this list.

http://pwnies.com/winners/

You guys might want to go claim that award and present it to Obama, he
did earn it after all ;) (and he beat lulzsec for the award)


I mean this mailing list is about threats to information security, so
lets call a spade a spade.

Right now the biggest threat to cyber-security is the US Government, it
has proven it can silently infect machines with worms powered by zero
day exploits and "stolen" driver certificates. (they were able to
acquire them twice at least with no issue, my bet is they just asked for
them)

And another thing, I somehow doubt the new york times would publish
unless they have reliable sources.

Combined with this
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303506404577448563517340188.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

It pretty much tells me the article was spot on.

Can we now discuss the fact the US Gov committed an act of cyber war
against its own people, the people of other sovereign nations and *itself* ?


cmorris at cs

Jun 6, 2012, 8:50 AM

Post #15 of 143 (1297 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

>I know for a fact HBGary was working with the NSA in regards to stuxnet.

I've never been all that good at spelling... but am I wrong that
HBGary is an anagram for "posturing charlatan" ?
Alternatively: if this is true then we are even worse off than I thought.

_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/


laurelai at oneechan

Jun 6, 2012, 9:13 AM

Post #16 of 143 (1295 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

On 6/6/12 11:50 AM, Charles Morris wrote:
>> I know for a fact HBGary was working with the NSA in regards to stuxnet.
> I've never been all that good at spelling... but am I wrong that
> HBGary is an anagram for "posturing charlatan" ?
> Alternatively: if this is true then we are even worse off than I thought.
It was in the leaked HBgary emails, communications with the NSA
regarding stuxnet. Why am i the only one who remembers this?

_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/


cmorris at cs

Jun 6, 2012, 9:18 AM

Post #17 of 143 (1296 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Laurelai <laurelai [at] oneechan> wrote:
> On 6/6/12 11:50 AM, Charles Morris wrote:
>>> I know for a fact HBGary was working with the NSA in regards to stuxnet.
>> I've never been all that good at spelling... but am I wrong that
>> HBGary is an anagram for "posturing charlatan" ?
>> Alternatively: if this is true then we are even worse off than I thought.
> It was in the leaked HBgary emails, communications with the NSA
> regarding stuxnet. Why am i the only one who remembers this?

I don't agree, disagree, or comment in any other way than my surprise,
as I want to have respect for the NSA-
but I suppose there are bad decisions made in any organization.

_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/


laurelai at oneechan

Jun 6, 2012, 9:20 AM

Post #18 of 143 (1295 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

On 6/6/12 12:18 PM, Charles Morris wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Laurelai <laurelai [at] oneechan> wrote:
>> On 6/6/12 11:50 AM, Charles Morris wrote:
>>>> I know for a fact HBGary was working with the NSA in regards to stuxnet.
>>> I've never been all that good at spelling... but am I wrong that
>>> HBGary is an anagram for "posturing charlatan" ?
>>> Alternatively: if this is true then we are even worse off than I thought.
>> It was in the leaked HBgary emails, communications with the NSA
>> regarding stuxnet. Why am i the only one who remembers this?
> I don't agree, disagree, or comment in any other way than my surprise,
> as I want to have respect for the NSA-
> but I suppose there are bad decisions made in any organization.
The fact that it quickly escaped out of control should tell you something.

_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/


coderman at gmail

Jun 6, 2012, 11:16 AM

Post #19 of 143 (1293 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Laurelai <laurelai [at] oneechan> wrote:
> ...
> Is anyone else the least bit concerned that stuxnet was carried out by the
> US Government?

remember the siberian pipeline? uncle sam has been up in yer SCADA for
two decades.

if this is a surprise, you aren't paying attention.

and if you're only concerned _now_, you aren't paying attention.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_pipeline_sabotage

_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/


coderman at gmail

Jun 6, 2012, 11:21 AM

Post #20 of 143 (1290 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM, coderman <coderman [at] gmail> wrote:
> ... uncle sam has been up in yer SCADA for
> two decades.

three decades; too early for maths!

_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/


slash.pd at gmail

Jun 6, 2012, 11:23 AM

Post #21 of 143 (1292 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

haha..da retrun of da "farewell dossier" !!

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM, coderman <coderman [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM, coderman <coderman [at] gmail> wrote:
> > ... uncle sam has been up in yer SCADA for
> > two decades.
>
> three decades; too early for maths!
>
> _______________________________________________
> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
> Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
>


valdis.kletnieks at vt

Jun 6, 2012, 3:08 PM

Post #22 of 143 (1284 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 10:41:24 -0400, Laurelai said:

> People seem to think that since the US Gov did it that makes it ok, well
> I do not think it does. Especially when they throw kids with small
> botnets in jail for being mad at the system cause its crooked.

You're a little bit confused here. It doesn't matter what "people" think. It
matters what "the people with more rifles, mortars, tanks, and ammo than you"
think.

Unless you come up with a way to level the playing field.


trelane at trelane

Jun 6, 2012, 3:19 PM

Post #23 of 143 (1285 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

On 6/6/2012 6:08 PM, valdis.kletnieks [at] vt wrote:
>
> You're a little bit confused here. It doesn't matter what "people" think. It
> matters what "the people with more rifles, mortars, tanks, and ammo than you"
> think.
>
> Unless you come up with a way to level the playing field.
I think you just identified it. buy rifles (I have, there's a Colt M4
Law Enforcement Carbine sitting next to me), but mortars (a bit
difficult but not impossible to get) buy tanks (quite easy to get if you
know where to look), and buy ammo. DEMAND that federal firearms laws be
revised, and specifically repeals of 18 USC 921-922. Yet again I point
out your VT.edu e-mail and your refusal to listen to Jefferson's
warnings. The man wrote your state constitution. He wasn't kidding
when he did it.

Andrew

_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/


hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting

Jun 6, 2012, 3:30 PM

Post #24 of 143 (1285 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

On 6/4/2012 2:52 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/world/middleeast/obama-ordered-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html
>
> WASHINGTON — From his first months in office, President Obama secretly
> ordered increasingly sophisticated attacks on the computer systems
> that run Iran’s main nuclear enrichment facilities, significantly
> expanding America’s first sustained use of cyberweapons, according to
> participants in the program.
> Hasan Sarbakhshian/Associated Press
>
> Mr. Obama decided to accelerate the attacks — begun in the Bush
> administration and code-named Olympic Games — even after an element of
> the program accidentally became public in the summer of 2010 because
> of a programming error that allowed it to escape Iran’s Natanz plant
> and sent it around the world on the Internet. Computer security
> experts who began studying the worm, which had been developed by the
> United States and Israel, gave it a name: Stuxnet.
>
> At a tense meeting in the White House Situation Room within days of
> the worm’s “escape,” Mr. Obama, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and
> the director of the Central Intelligence Agency at the time, Leon E.
> Panetta, considered whether America’s most ambitious attempt to slow
> the progress of Iran’s nuclear efforts had been fatally compromised.
> ...
>
> _______________________________________________
> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
> Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
Frnakly,

anyone who thought the US WASN'T doing this had their head in the sand.
it was just a matter of time before it was discovered.

_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/


laurelai at oneechan

Jun 6, 2012, 5:28 PM

Post #25 of 143 (1283 views)
Permalink
Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran [In reply to]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 6/6/12 6:08 PM, valdis.kletnieks [at] vt wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 10:41:24 -0400, Laurelai said:
>
>> People seem to think that since the US Gov did it that makes it ok, well
>> I do not think it does. Especially when they throw kids with small
>> botnets in jail for being mad at the system cause its crooked.
>
> You're a little bit confused here. It doesn't matter what "people"
think. It
> matters what "the people with more rifles, mortars, tanks, and ammo
than you"
> think.
>
> Unless you come up with a way to level the playing field.
>
So you admit we live in a police state?
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.18 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools - http://gpgtools.org
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPz/W/AAoJEGVm7Hz5JilhGo8H/2dzANgDUGY17dUW7OL+rPKZ
+FWyUudW739recN/Fsvb6XASVSjsDS/lMXsP2yvmFZKhkGRYNJmn4JzBmwgRZdsJ
WhaLSAGCX1EP4DiTApsjLWR6MxjpQC9zIK/FT+entCGPsS6/VSeOM778C3JibVnd
/zf3J2N0QWR8RxCqoJZ4enYQ7RLVCLm2O720hNRBBFoadM8+OzW31QISGWAsat1l
QX3BaCBQfEkGztqZ0+8j90Xz/4Ok+eYVxWE4z/fUCC7eHvY6RG+s3DfYq+Ql0LrU
Yku0amyzlB0cowaQUhGrusjBEt5sPWrIOirUPbqosBD6PpQMtwPJf/dKQsPsWvs=
=HWmA
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All Full Disclosure full-disclosure RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.