Mailing List Archive: Full Disclosure: Full-Disclosure

Checking out backdoor shells

Full Disclosure full-disclosure RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

adam at infosecinstitute

Checking out backdoor shells

A backdoor shell can be a PHP, ASP, JSP, etc. piece of code which can be
uploaded on a site to gain or retain access and some privileges on a
website. Once uploaded, it allows the attacker to execute commands through
the shell_exec () function, upload/delete/modify/download files from the web
server, and many more. For defacers, it allows them to navigate easily to
the directory of the public_html or /var/www and modify the index of the
page.

In this write-up, we will be talking about PHP backdoor shells, how they
work, how to detect them and remove them. Below is a simple PHP code that is
very popular and is scattered all over the web
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3115559/exploitable-php-functions;
http://shipcodex.blogspot.com/2012/01/simple-php-backdoor-shell.html). This
code allows an attacker to execute *nix commands. For the full write up at
InfoSec Institute, check here:
http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/checking-out-backdoor-shells/

kai at rhynn

Re: Checking out backdoor shells [In reply to]

Dear Mr. MustLive#2,

hello and welcome to the full-disclosure mailing list.

Faithfully yours

On Fri, 18 May 2012 15:50:04 -0500, Adam Behnke wrote:
> A backdoor shell can be a PHP, ASP, JSP, etc. piece of code which can
> be
> uploaded on a site to gain or retain access and some privileges on a
> website. Once uploaded, it allows the attacker to execute commands
> through
> the shell_exec () function, upload/delete/modify/download files from
> the web
> server, and many more. For defacers, it allows them to navigate
> easily to
> the directory of the public_html or /var/www and modify the index of
> the
> page.

Kai

the.infodox at gmail

Checking out backdoor shells [In reply to]

You may be interested in this: http://code.google.com/p/web-malware-collection/

We have been "collecting" these backdoors for quite some time... Still
got loads more to sort and sync with the repos, but we always like
more samples :)

--
http://insecurety.net <-- Insecurety Research