Mailing List Archive: Full Disclosure: Full-Disclosure

Xbox live accounts are being stolen

Full Disclosure full-disclosure RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

kf_lists at digitalmunition

Mar 17, 2007, 2:21 PM

Xbox live accounts are being stolen

There have been rumor going around that Bungie.net was hacked and
that a portion of Xbox live has been taken over because of it. Some
folks are having their Microsoft points stolen and or points
purchased via their stolen gamer tag.

I just got off the phone with a Microsoft Tech for Xbox live that has
confirmed this to with me and they have stated that accounts are
being stolen and that "Hackers have control of Xbox live and there is
nothing we can do about it"

If anyone else has experienced their Xbox live account info being
stolen let me know. I am trying to archive as much info on this as
possible. During the conversations I have had with Xbox live support
I would certainly say that Microsoft staff is more than negligent in
dealing with this issue especially with regard to the potential theft
of personal information.

-KF

jammer128 at gmail

Mar 17, 2007, 4:33 PM

Re: Xbox live accounts are being stolen [In reply to]

I'm sorry but I find this funny actually. :-P Seems Microsoft has a weakness.

On 3/17/07, Kevin Finisterre (lists) <kf_lists [at] digitalmunition> wrote:
> There have been rumor going around that Bungie.net was hacked and
> that a portion of Xbox live has been taken over because of it. Some
> folks are having their Microsoft points stolen and or points
> purchased via their stolen gamer tag.
>
> I just got off the phone with a Microsoft Tech for Xbox live that has
> confirmed this to with me and they have stated that accounts are
> being stolen and that "Hackers have control of Xbox live and there is
> nothing we can do about it"
>
> If anyone else has experienced their Xbox live account info being
> stolen let me know. I am trying to archive as much info on this as
> possible. During the conversations I have had with Xbox live support
> I would certainly say that Microsoft staff is more than negligent in
> dealing with this issue especially with regard to the potential theft
> of personal information.
>
> -KF

aredman at education

Mar 17, 2007, 5:09 PM

Re: Xbox live accounts are being stolen [In reply to]

Funny, I've always kinda figured that MS was it's own weakness. - ATR

Jason Miller wrote:
There have been rumor going around that Bungie.net was hacked and that a portion of Xbox live has been taken over because of it. Some folks are having their Microsoft points stolen and or points purchased via their stolen gamer tag. I just got off the phone with a Microsoft Tech for Xbox live that has confirmed this to with me and they have stated that accounts are being stolen and that "Hackers have control of Xbox live and there is nothing we can do about it" If anyone else has experienced their Xbox live account info being stolen let me know. I am trying to archive as much info on this as possible. During the conversations I have had with Xbox live support I would certainly say that Microsoft staff is more than negligent in dealing with this issue especially with regard to the potential theft of personal information. -KF _______________________________________________ Full-Disclosure - We believe in it. Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html"]http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/"]http://secunia.com/

slash.pd at gmail

Mar 17, 2007, 5:49 PM

Re: Xbox live accounts are being stolen [In reply to]

why ??

Is there not a secondary layer of economics for points ?? WoW and SL has
virtual $$ being bartered into real world value...

On 3/17/07, Jason Miller <jammer128 [at] gmail> wrote:

> I'm sorry but I find this funny actually. :-P Seems Microsoft has a
> weakness.
>
> On 3/17/07, Kevin Finisterre (lists) <kf_lists [at] digitalmunition> wrote:
> > There have been rumor going around that Bungie.net was hacked and
> > that a portion of Xbox live has been taken over because of it. Some
> > folks are having their Microsoft points stolen and or points
> > purchased via their stolen gamer tag.
> >
> > I just got off the phone with a Microsoft Tech for Xbox live that has
> > confirmed this to with me and they have stated that accounts are
> > being stolen and that "Hackers have control of Xbox live and there is
> > nothing we can do about it"
> >
> > If anyone else has experienced their Xbox live account info being
> > stolen let me know. I am trying to archive as much info on this as
> > possible. During the conversations I have had with Xbox live support
> > I would certainly say that Microsoft staff is more than negligent in
> > dealing with this issue especially with regard to the potential theft
> > of personal information.
> >
> > -KF

kf_lists at digitalmunition

Mar 17, 2007, 9:11 PM

Re: Xbox live accounts are being stolen [In reply to]

I find it funny too... there is nothing more than I love to hear than
an Microsoft employee telling me that their network is pwned and
there is nothing they can do about it.
-KF

On Mar 17, 2007, at 7:33 PM, Jason Miller wrote:

> I'm sorry but I find this funny actually. :-P Seems Microsoft has a
> weakness.
>
> On 3/17/07, Kevin Finisterre (lists) <kf_lists [at] digitalmunition>
> wrote:
>> There have been rumor going around that Bungie.net was hacked and
>> that a portion of Xbox live has been taken over because of it. Some
>> folks are having their Microsoft points stolen and or points
>> purchased via their stolen gamer tag.
>>
>> I just got off the phone with a Microsoft Tech for Xbox live that has
>> confirmed this to with me and they have stated that accounts are
>> being stolen and that "Hackers have control of Xbox live and there is
>> nothing we can do about it"
>>
>> If anyone else has experienced their Xbox live account info being
>> stolen let me know. I am trying to archive as much info on this as
>> possible. During the conversations I have had with Xbox live support
>> I would certainly say that Microsoft staff is more than negligent in
>> dealing with this issue especially with regard to the potential theft
>> of personal information.
>>
>> -KF

kf_lists at digitalmunition

Mar 17, 2007, 9:13 PM

Re: Xbox live accounts are being stolen [In reply to]

Microsoft points are directly tied to $$$

2000 points is about the equivalent of $25 dollars.

Zune Market Place and Xbox live share the same system for points /
dollars.
-KF

On Mar 17, 2007, at 8:49 PM, Peter Dawson wrote:

> why ??
>
> Is there not a secondary layer of economics for points ?? WoW and
> SL has virtual $$ being bartered into real world value...
>
> On 3/17/07, Jason Miller <jammer128 [at] gmail> wrote:
> I'm sorry but I find this funny actually. :-P Seems Microsoft has a
> weakness.
>
> On 3/17/07, Kevin Finisterre (lists) <kf_lists [at] digitalmunition>
> wrote:
> > There have been rumor going around that Bungie.net was hacked and
> > that a portion of Xbox live has been taken over because of it. Some
> > folks are having their Microsoft points stolen and or points
> > purchased via their stolen gamer tag.
> >
> > I just got off the phone with a Microsoft Tech for Xbox live that
> has
> > confirmed this to with me and they have stated that accounts are
> > being stolen and that "Hackers have control of Xbox live and
> there is
> > nothing we can do about it"
> >
> > If anyone else has experienced their Xbox live account info being
> > stolen let me know. I am trying to archive as much info on this as
> > possible. During the conversations I have had with Xbox live support
> > I would certainly say that Microsoft staff is more than
> negligent in
> > dealing with this issue especially with regard to the potential
> theft
> > of personal information.
> >
> > -KF

kf_lists at digitalmunition

Mar 17, 2007, 9:55 PM

Re: Xbox live accounts are being stolen [In reply to]

Here is someone on youtube with the same problem.... using a capture
card to get the guy on video talking about it. He blatantly says he
can steal any account on your xbox with just your IP address. One
side of the conversation has been cut out but you can clearly hear
the gentleman talking about stealing the account.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QdG_xwkPH4

"Your shit is getting jacked just so ya know"

-KF

php0t at zorro

Mar 18, 2007, 3:56 AM

Re: Xbox live accounts are being stolen [In reply to]

Is bungie.net's title originally 'Satisfying Your Mom Since 1991' ?
Google says, it should be "This One Goes To Eleven."

If it's obvious or normal, discard this email.

kf_lists at digitalmunition

Aug 8, 2007, 6:33 AM

Re: Xbox live accounts are being stolen [In reply to]

Hi Ashley... I can certainly understand your frustration. Although my
account was "taken care of" and I was ultimately given some things to
quiet me down, I never got an explanation of what *really* happened,
I never got any information about who I could prosecute or anything
like that. As you can see I had to be very vocal about the whole
situation in order to get my issue taken care of and the process was
quite lengthy, time consuming and frustrating, so good luck.

I have CC'd a gentleman from Microsoft that got me taken care of in
the past. He should hopefully be able to help you out, no promises of
course.

I think it would be fair of me to say really don't like Microsoft's
"disclosure policy" under these circumstances.
-KF

Glenn.Everhart at chase

Aug 8, 2007, 6:53 AM

Re: Xbox live accounts are being stolen [In reply to]

When someone fraudulently charges your credit card you should immediately
complain to the card issuer in writing so the charge can be reversed and
charged back to the merchant who accepted the fraudulent credentials. That is
one of the advantages of a credit card - the loss can be charged back, and
a merchant who accepts bogus information is liable if it turns out to be
fake.

There is often a 60 day period to notify of this, so if you have not written
your card issuer before, don't delay. Some of the "wait..." tactics
can have the effect of your losing the right to get the purchase charged
back if you don't get the notice out in time.

As with any such messages, too, send with return receipt requested so you can
prove that you got the message sent and that it got to the bank. It is probably
ok to send two letters, one normal and one with return receipt, mentioning they
both exist, in case a mail room doesn't know how to handle one of them. That
is not malice, just human confusion, but it's easy to print out two letters and
might help especially if your time is now short.

Writing in like this does not mean the merchant can't make things right; it
just ensures the fraud claim gets known by the card issuer bank and that it
should not be treated as an ordinary charge on your card bill. It can also sometimes
get the merchant's attention since the bank will now be after the merchant to prove
the charge was not fraudulent...it's not just you vs. the company.

These kinds of cases are possibly harbingers of the future. Trusting some consumer owned
box as evidence of who he is is not foolproof. Bets on that being an issue with consumer
PCs, cell phones, etc.?

Glenn Everhart

> [...]

> subscription that I am not getting to use and apparently won't be
> able to use. I'd also like to mention when he said they tried
> calling today, he said they left a voice mail message. I don't have
> voice mail, so I got concerned. Then he read "my phone number" It
> wasn't even my number and I had never heard the number in my life.
> Slightly odd, since I gave them my phone number the previous time I
> had called.
>
> Now I'm suppose to receive a call this Thursday. We will see.... I
> won't hold my breathe.
>
> I am so very frustrated that Microsoft as huge a cooperation as
> they are, doesn't even have the decency to call me or reimburse me
> for a 50 dollar Xbox live account.
>
> I apologize for this longwinded email and I'm not even sure if you
> still care about this issue but I was quite overjoyed to see I

thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and
any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,

info at jailhalvar

Aug 8, 2007, 1:24 PM

Re: Xbox live accounts are being stolen [In reply to]

It was Halvar Flake.