Mailing List Archive: Forrest: User

whole site pdf missing?

Forrest user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

charles at dspdesign

Aug 9, 2004, 8:37 AM

whole site pdf missing?

Team

The default site.xml contains this:

<all>
<whole_site_html href="site.html" label="Whole Site HTML" />
<whole_site_html href="site.pdf" label="Whole Site PDF" />
</all>

and this page: http://forrest.apache.org/docs/your-project.html says this: "Note: Forrest's default sitemap defines a whole-site HTML and PDF, available as site.html and site.pdf."

and this page: http://forrest.apache.org/howto/howto-pdf-tab.html says this: "By default Forrest generates a pdf file for each separate document of your project. As well you can create a pdf of the whole site. But sometimes it may be necessary to generate a pdf file out of selected tab, i.e. only for certain parts of the site."

Now, I want to start investigating creating pdfs "only for certain parts of the site", and I guess the lengthy link above will guide me through this. But from the above comments I would have expected to see a site.pdf, containing the whole site, but I don't.

Why can't I see site.pdf? and am I safe to follow the instructions in the link above to create pdfs from multiple pages, or is there more to it...

Charles

robert.mcintosh at zurichna

Aug 9, 2004, 8:48 AM

Re: whole site pdf missing? [In reply to]

Hello Charles,

You are lucky that you now have the pdf-tab howto as I went through this exercise a few weeks ago, although it wasn't too much trouble.

Anyway, the site pdf should be available from the site root, i.e. http://my_site/site.pdf

When you look through the docs on this, you will notice that the pattern matching looks for site under the root context.
Don't know if that helps or not :-)

- Robert

Monday, August 09, 2004 11:43 AM
[...]

dave at brondsema

Aug 9, 2004, 9:15 AM

Re: whole site pdf missing? [In reply to]

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Charles Palmer wrote:

> Team
>
> The default site.xml contains this:
>
> <all>
> <whole_site_html href="site.html" label="Whole Site HTML" />
> <whole_site_html href="site.pdf" label="Whole Site PDF" />
> </all>
>
> and this page: http://forrest.apache.org/docs/your-project.html says this: "Note: Forrest's default sitemap defines a whole-site HTML and PDF, available as site.html and site.pdf."
>
> and this page: http://forrest.apache.org/howto/howto-pdf-tab.html says this: "By default Forrest generates a pdf file for each separate document of your project. As well you can create a pdf of the whole site. But sometimes it may be necessary to generate a pdf file out of selected tab, i.e. only for certain parts of the site."
>
> Now, I want to start investigating creating pdfs "only for certain parts of the site", and I guess the lengthy link above will guide me through this. But from the above comments I would have expected to see a site.pdf, containing the whole site, but I don't.
>
> Why can't I see site.pdf? and am I safe to follow the instructions in the link above to create pdfs from multiple pages, or is there more to it...
>
> Charles

It should say that site.pdf is the only aggregate page available to be
generated by default. To actually generate it, add a label attribute to
the <all> node in site.xml. This will cause it to appear on the menu, and
in turn cause forrest to follow that link and generate the page.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave [at] brondsema
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

thorsten at apache

Aug 9, 2004, 10:29 AM

Re: whole site pdf missing? [In reply to]

Charles Palmer wrote:
> Team
>
> The default site.xml contains this:
>
> <all>
> <whole_site_html href="site.html" label="Whole Site HTML" />
> <whole_site_html href="site.pdf" label="Whole Site PDF" />
> </all>
>
> and this page: http://forrest.apache.org/docs/your-project.html says
> this: "Note: Forrest's default sitemap defines a whole-site HTML and
> PDF, available as site.html and site.pdf."
>
> and this page: http://forrest.apache.org/howto/howto-pdf-tab.html says
> this: "By default Forrest generates a pdf file for each separate
> document of your project. As well you can create a pdf of the whole
> site. But sometimes it may be necessary to generate a pdf file out of
> selected tab, i.e. only for certain parts of the site."
>
> Now, I want to start investigating creating pdfs "only for certain parts
> of the site", and I guess the lengthy link above will guide me through
> this. But from the above comments I would have expected to see a
> site.pdf, containing the whole site, but I don't.
>
> Why can't I see site.pdf?

Try (like Dave said):
<all label="whole sites">
<whole_site_html label="Whole Site HTML" href="site.html"/>
<whole_site_pdf label="Whole Site PDF" href="site.pdf"/>
</all>

and am I safe to follow the instructions in
> the link above to create pdfs from multiple pages, or is there more to it...

Jupp, I tried it out it is working fine!

HTH
thorsten

> Charles

crossley at apache

Aug 9, 2004, 3:44 PM

Re: whole site pdf missing? [In reply to]

Charles, i don't know which version of forrest you are
talking about, but if it is the development version 0.6-dev
then the "whole site" production is commented out due to
various bugs. See the release roadmap and search for "PDF":
http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10000&report=roadmap
Issues: FOR-210 and FOR-211

Also there is a new "How-to" document on the website
explaining PDFs based on tabs (and see issue FOR-220).

--
David Crossley

Forrest user RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded