Mailing List Archive: Forrest: Dev

[Proposal] Release Plan for Forrest 0.90

Forrest dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

crossley at apache

Dec 6, 2010, 9:59 PM

[Proposal] Release Plan for Forrest 0.90

Here is my proposal for the Release Plan. After a discussion
period, we will vote on this Release Plan.

Aiming for a release date of 17 January 2011 [4].

Please check with your time schedules and comment. We want to
have as many people available as possible to test the release
candidate. So we can adjust the time schedule a bit to suit.

For background info on this step and on the release process
in general, see
http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#PrepRelPlan

------------------------
The minimum Java version for this release is Java 1.5

------------------------
I will be the Release Manager.

People can help with various aspects of the release process. See [9].
People can also help between now and then to prepare the codebase.

------------------------
For Plugins, see the proposal below.

------------------------
The phases are:

Voting to accept the Release Plan ends on:
Monday 2010-12-20 at 22:00 UTC [1].

The first release candidate and start of testing:
Monday 2011-01-10 at 22:00 UTC [2].

We create the release candidate on this day and start the testing.
One week is available for this phase.
Don't bother voting until towards the end of the week,
because we might need a new release candidate.
The vote needs to happen against the actual final packages.

During "code freeze" we do not add any new functionality or
non-essential work, just bug fixes and documentation tweaks [5].

If necessary then we create another release candidate on
Saturday 2011-01-15 at 22:00 UTC [3]
to give people time to verify the signatures and checksums
and to do final tests. Between this date and the release date
there must no changes to SVN. If any are absolutely necessary,
then we delay the release date and do another release candidate.

End of voting period:
Monday 2011-01-17 at 22:00 UTC [4]
This is the scheduled release date,
then wait for the mirrors to receive it before
sending the announcements.

------------------------
Plugins release plan:

In the past we have never done a proper "release" for any
of the plugins. We have just done a "deploy" for some of them,
which packages a plugin and copies it to our website to make
it available to people who use a Forrest release.

That is not suitable. See [7]:
"Releases are, by definition, anything that is published
beyond the group that owns it." i.e. beyond our "dev" list.

To rectify that, i propose that we follow up after the
core 0.9 release to actually vote and release each plugin
that is suitable to be made widely available.

Please see the list showing the state of each Plugin [8].

Between now and mid-January, please work on your favourite
plugin to get it ready, send patches etc. Deploy any that
need to be either updated or made available. After the 0.9
release is done, we will follow up to either "release" each
one or to retract it.

Any that are suitable to be released would also be moved
out of the "whiteboard/plugins".

If this general Plugin release plan is okay, then we can
devise a more detailed procedure. After this batch of plugin
releases, they can each be independently released as new
plugin versions are needed.

------------------------
The proposed milestones are:

[1] end of vote on Release Plan
Monday 2010-12-20 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=20&month=12&year=2010&hour=22&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

[2] create initial release candidate, start testing
Monday 2011-01-10 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=10&month=1&year=2011&hour=22&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

[3] create final release candidate if necessary
Saturday 2011-01-15 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=15&month=1&year=2011&hour=22&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

[4] end of vote on final release candidate and commence the upload phase
Monday 2011-01-17 at 22:00 UTC (i.e. planned release date)
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=17&month=1&year=2011&hour=22&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

[5] Code freeze is defined here
http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/announce_code_freeze.txt

[6] Guidelines for Voting
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#voting
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#actions

[7] What is a Release?
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

[8] State of Plugin deployment
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/etc/review-plugin-deployment.txt

[9] How to release Forrest
http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html

------------------------

williamstw at gmail

Dec 8, 2010, 5:37 AM

Re: [Proposal] Release Plan for Forrest 0.90 [In reply to]

Thanks David! I'm in the midst of a double move - once to temporary
housing; then a couple weeks later, to the new house - and some other
rather large life-changes during this period but I'll certainly pitch
in as much as possible. I could be more involved if all the dates
shifted by 2-3 weeks but if this works best for your schedule, I'll do
everything I can to support it.

--tim

crossley at apache

Dec 8, 2010, 5:00 PM

Re: [Proposal] Release Plan for Forrest 0.90 [In reply to]

Tim Williams wrote:
> Thanks David! I'm in the midst of a double move - once to temporary
> housing; then a couple weeks later, to the new house - and some other
> rather large life-changes during this period but I'll certainly pitch
> in as much as possible. I could be more involved if all the dates
> shifted by 2-3 weeks but if this works best for your schedule, I'll do
> everything I can to support it.

Lets shift the main dates by three weeks.

However i would like to keep the Release Plan vote as-is,
i.e. next week. I want to spread the word about a firm
plan of action.

All the best with your new opportunities.

-David

gavin at 16degrees

Dec 11, 2010, 3:19 PM

> > Thanks David! I'm in the midst of a double move - once to temporary
> > housing; then a couple weeks later, to the new house - and some other
> > rather large life-changes during this period but I'll certainly pitch
> > in as much as possible. I could be more involved if all the dates
> > shifted by 2-3 weeks but if this works best for your schedule, I'll
> do
> > everything I can to support it.
>
> Lets shift the main dates by three weeks.
>
> However i would like to keep the Release Plan vote as-is,
> i.e. next week. I want to spread the word about a firm
> plan of action.

I am happy with whatever dates, I will try to help out as best I can where I
can
be of most use.

It is a shame you get to be RM again, I know you tried to encourage others
to do
it, maybe next time.

Gav...