Mailing List Archive: exim: users

Cannot send to own domain (which is served by Google apps)

ed.temp.01 at gmail

Jun 6, 2012, 8:31 AM

Cannot send to own domain (which is served by Google apps)

I have installed exim on a Centos linode, its purpose to is send mail
reports generated by admin shell scripts.

So, my domain is foo.com however all email for foo.com is handled by
Google Apps. When I try to send email to me [at] foo it stays in the
queue frozen, I can send email to other gmail accounts so I presume
the basic configuration is OK but there is something it doesn't like
about foo.com.

I tried editing exim.conf and changed

domainlist local_domains = @ : localhost : localhost.localdomain
domainlist local_domains = localhost : localhost.localdomain

restarted exim and nothing changed. Do I need to restart something else? Reboot?

Ed

odhiambo at gmail

Jun 6, 2012, 1:16 PM

Re: Cannot send to own domain (which is served by Google apps) [In reply to]

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Ed <ed.temp.01 [at] gmail> wrote:

> I have installed exim on a Centos linode, its purpose to is send mail
> reports generated by admin shell scripts.
>
> So, my domain is foo.com however all email for foo.com is handled by
> Google Apps. When I try to send email to me [at] foo it stays in the
> queue frozen, I can send email to other gmail accounts so I presume
> the basic configuration is OK but there is something it doesn't like
> about foo.com.
>
> I tried editing exim.conf and changed
>
> domainlist local_domains = @ : localhost : localhost.localdomain
> domainlist local_domains = localhost : localhost.localdomain
>
> restarted exim and nothing changed. Do I need to restart something else?
> Reboot?

It sits in the queue, frozen, right?

What does `exim -bt me [at] foo` tell you?

Also, you can get the message-id and do this:

exim -d -M message-id-here

Look at the output. Somewhere, what it prints out may make sense to you.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,

wbh at conducive

Jun 6, 2012, 1:45 PM

Re: Cannot send to own domain (which is served by Google apps) [In reply to]

Ed wrote:
> I have installed exim on a Centos linode, its purpose to is send mail
> reports generated by admin shell scripts.
>
> So, my domain is foo.com however all email for foo.com is handled by
> Google Apps. When I try to send email to me [at] foo it stays in the
> queue frozen, I can send email to other gmail accounts so I presume
> the basic configuration is OK but there is something it doesn't like
> about foo.com.
>
> I tried editing exim.conf and changed
>
> domainlist local_domains = @ : localhost : localhost.localdomain
> domainlist local_domains = localhost : localhost.localdomain
>
> restarted exim and nothing changed. Do I need to restart something else? Reboot?
>
> Ed

If you haven't told it otherwise, Exim will grab 'hostname' off the box
it sits on.

You may have told the box - or Exim directly - that it IS 'foo.com',
causing it to attempt to make a 'local' delivery into mailstore rather
than a remote one over an smtp session.

One it may not be able to complete if there IS NO appropriate mailstore
set up for that identity. Hence the stuck-in-queue situation.

If for sending cron reports only, AND NOT 'listening' anyway, that is
not what it needs to know.

You can get around all that by disabling local delivery altogether, ELSE
giving it over-riding instructions in the MAIN configuration or right in
the router as to whom is entitled to be handled locally, and/or whom not.

An 'alias' entry pointed to an address unrelated to your own domain.tld
is usually much simpler when working into a third-party destination,
such as Gmail. Any valid remote address will do.

A simple MUA filter can then sort the reports into a bespoke folder by
report type as well as domain.tld. Another can archive or delete all
over a certain age. Absent that one can get.. hang on... about 2 GB a
year of stale bytes per server eating up storage.

Bill
--
韓家標

exim-users at ghost

Jun 7, 2012, 5:10 AM

Re: Cannot send to own domain (which is served by Google apps) [In reply to]

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 04:31:07PM +0100, Ed wrote:
> I have installed exim on a Centos linode, its purpose to is send mail
> reports generated by admin shell scripts.
>
> So, my domain is foo.com however all email for foo.com is handled by
> Google Apps. When I try to send email to me [at] foo it stays in the
> queue frozen, I can send email to other gmail accounts so I presume
> the basic configuration is OK but there is something it doesn't like
> about foo.com.

The problem could be related to the MX records for foo.com which point to 0.0.0.0

host -t mx foo.com
foo.com mail is handled by 1000 0.0.0.0.

however things might fall back to the A records I guess..
foo.com has address 23.21.179.138
foo.com has address 23.21.224.150

> I tried editing exim.conf and changed
>
> domainlist local_domains = @ : localhost : localhost.localdomain
> domainlist local_domains = localhost : localhost.localdomain

@ is the local host name - you should check that the hostname is set correctly and has
proper forward and reverse DNS entries ( eg linode.foo.com ) as otherwise the
remote server is likely to reject any messages ( if it thinks you are spoofing some address which
may be the case if it thinks it handles mail for that domain )

-A

ed.temp.01 at gmail

Jun 8, 2012, 3:03 AM

Re: Cannot send to own domain (which is served by Google apps) [In reply to]

Thank you both, 'foo.com' isnt the actual domain name it was just an
example as I didn't want to spam the list with my actual domain.

The MX records point to googlemail and exim -bt prints out information
for googlemail. I did the exim -d -M thing and got reams of output I
don't yet comprehend but one of the complaints was about there being
no account for 'root [at] foo' who is the sender but who doesn't exist
at googlemail. I am going to crawl through the diagnostics and come up
with a next step.

On 7 June 2012 13:10, Andrew <exim-users [at] ghost> wrote:

> The problem could be related to the MX records for foo.com which point to 0.0.0.0
>
> host -t mx foo.com
> foo.com mail is handled by 1000 0.0.0.0.
>
> however things might fall back to the A records I guess..
> foo.com has address 23.21.179.138
> foo.com has address 23.21.224.150
>

>> I tried editing exim.conf and changed
>>
>> domainlist local_domains = @ : localhost : localhost.localdomain
>> domainlist local_domains = localhost : localhost.localdomain
>>

> @ is the local host name - you should check that the hostname is set correctly and has
> proper forward and reverse DNS entries ( eg linode.foo.com ) as otherwise the
> remote server is likely to reject any messages ( if it thinks you are spoofing some address which
> may be the case if it thinks it handles mail for that domain )
>

> -A

ed.temp.01 at gmail

Jun 8, 2012, 3:26 AM

Re: Cannot send to own domain (which is served by Google apps) [In reply to]

OK, now I'm confused, I tried again and the message got frozen, the
diagnostics said I was trying to send to root [at] foo rather than
me [at] foo, I wasn't! I tried again using the mail command with mail
-v -s .... and it worked, and has worked a few times since.

On 8 June 2012 11:03, Ed <ed.temp.01 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Thank you both, 'foo.com' isnt the actual domain name it was just an
> example as I didn't want to spam the list with my actual domain.
>
> The MX records point to googlemail and exim -bt prints out information
> for googlemail. I did the exim -d -M thing and got reams of output I
> don't yet comprehend but one of the complaints was about there being
> no account for 'root [at] foo' who is the sender but who doesn't exist
> at googlemail. I am going to crawl through the diagnostics and come up
> with a next step.
>
> On 7 June 2012 13:10, Andrew <exim-users [at] ghost> wrote:
>

>> The problem could be related to the MX records for foo.com which point to 0.0.0.0
>>
>> host -t mx foo.com
>> foo.com mail is handled by 1000 0.0.0.0.
>>
>> however things might fall back to the A records I guess..
>> foo.com has address 23.21.179.138
>> foo.com has address 23.21.224.150
>>

>>> I tried editing exim.conf and changed
>>>
>>> domainlist local_domains = @ : localhost : localhost.localdomain
>>> domainlist local_domains = localhost : localhost.localdomain
>>>

>> @ is the local host name - you should check that the hostname is set correctly and has
>> proper forward and reverse DNS entries ( eg linode.foo.com ) as otherwise the
>> remote server is likely to reject any messages ( if it thinks you are spoofing some address which
>> may be the case if it thinks it handles mail for that domain )
>>

>> -A

odhiambo at gmail

Jun 10, 2012, 2:17 AM

Re: Cannot send to own domain (which is served by Google apps) [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Ed <ed.temp.01 [at] gmail> wrote:

> OK, now I'm confused, I tried again and the message got frozen, the
> diagnostics said I was trying to send to root [at] foo rather than
> me [at] foo, I wasn't! I tried again using the mail command with mail
> -v -s .... and it worked, and has worked a few times since.

So why not show us the output here?

Did you edit the aliasfile (/etc/aliases or /etc/mail/aliases - whichever
you have used in your system_aliases router) to map root user to your
ed.temp.01 [at] gmail ??

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Nairobi,KE
+254733744121/+254722743223

ed.temp.01 at gmail

Jun 10, 2012, 6:55 AM

Re: Cannot send to own domain (which is served by Google apps) [In reply to]

Sorry to be useless but didn't capture the output from the failed run
'cos I was expecting to run other tests, and it then started working!

The gist of the original error was no "user root at foo.com" when root
was the sender, not the recipient.

I made no changes to any configuration file nor even restarted exim,
the only new thing was trying mail -v -s. I don't know if it coincided
with something being refreshed, this is a mystery to me. I literally
did nothing excepting run mail (which failed) followed by exim -d -M
(which also failed) then run mail -v which worked.