Mailing List Archive: exim: users

ignore manualroute if 421 response is received?

ojhowe at gmail

ignore manualroute if 421 response is received?

Hi,

Is it possible to tell a router to fail or pass on the message to the
next router if it receives a 421 error from a host it is trying to
deliver to?

Specifically I have a router that delivers to Postini (Google's email
signature/archiving solution - see
http://www.google.com/postini/email.html) for one of my outbound
domains.
But the Postini server often returns a "421 Server busy - try again
later" error message and then all outbound messages for that domain
get delayed whilst the retry time for the orginal message is
calculated.

my current router is

postini_route:
driver = manualroute
transport = remote_smtp
domains = mydomain.com
route_data = outbounds200.obsmtp.com

or is there a better way to handle connections to
unreliable/temperamental external hosts?

Thanks,

Oliver

exim-users at spodhuis

Re: ignore manualroute if 421 response is received? [In reply to]

On 2012-04-03 at 10:47 +0100, Oliver Howe wrote:
> Is it possible to tell a router to fail or pass on the message to the
> next router if it receives a 421 error from a host it is trying to
> deliver to?
>
> Specifically I have a router that delivers to Postini (Google's email
> signature/archiving solution - see
> http://www.google.com/postini/email.html) for one of my outbound
> domains.
> But the Postini server often returns a "421 Server busy - try again
> later" error message and then all outbound messages for that domain
> get delayed whilst the retry time for the orginal message is
> calculated.

Retry rules, Section 32 of The Exim Specification.

Host errors result in two lookups, once for remote host, once for email
address's domain. Constrain by error type.

*@*.psmtp.com rcpt_421 F,1h,10m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h
* * <default rules>

-Phil