Mailing List Archive: exim: users
Re: reactive filtering to log files with exim possible?

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

iane at sussex

Mar 12, 2012, 5:41 AM

Re: reactive filtering to log files with exim possible? [In reply to]

On 7 Mar 2012, at 13:31, Always Learning wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 10:09 +0200, Warren Baker wrote:
>
>> You can run a separate instance of Exim with an alternate config file which
>> could be configured to only handle the delayed Yahoo messages.
>
> How does one run a second parallel version of Exim ?
>
> Copy and rename the binary ?

No, the binary doesn't need to be different. You just launch Exim with different command line options. For example, you might do this to ask Exim to listen for connections on a port. Or you might ask Exim to attempt to deliver mail from the queue. Or you might ask Exim to check the validity of a configuration file.

Among those options, you can specify a different configuration file. For example, you might have one configuration listening on port 25 on your advertised MX IP address, and another listening on port 587 for message submissions. Or you might be pointing to a new configuration file that you want to test before deploying.

> Copy and rename /etc/exim ?

If that's your configuration file, there's no point having two identical copies. But, we use separate configurations for local submissions and for inbound email.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex