Mailing List Archive: exim: users

usage/popularity of Exim

ojhowe at gmail

Jan 24, 2012, 4:19 AM

usage/popularity of Exim

Hi,

Is there any way to see or estimate the usage and popularity of Exim?
I am going to do a presentation to a prospective client and would like
to include some stats to backup our choice of mta.

Thanks,

Oliver

thomas.kinghorn at gmail

Jan 24, 2012, 4:27 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

On 24/01/2012 14:19, Oliver Howe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to see or estimate the usage and popularity of Exim?
> I am going to do a presentation to a prospective client and would like
> to include some stats to backup our choice of mta.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oliver

Try http://linuxconsultant.info/tutorials/linux-mail-server-software.html

graeme at graemef

Jan 24, 2012, 4:35 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 12:19 +0000, Oliver Howe wrote:
> Is there any way to see or estimate the usage and popularity of Exim?
> I am going to do a presentation to a prospective client and would like
> to include some stats to backup our choice of mta.

There are several sets of "statistics" for this - here's but one:

http://www.mailradar.com/mailstat/

I put "statistics" in quotes because it it very, very difficult to do
this accurately.

I think you'd be better off asking what your client requires, then
demonstrating how it can be done.

Graeme

andrew at topdog

Jan 24, 2012, 4:47 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

On 24 Jan 2012, at 2:35 PM, Graeme Fowler wrote:

> I think you'd be better off asking what your client requires, then
> demonstrating how it can be done.

I agree, you are better of demonstrating exim's abilities as an MTA,
and believe me i use both postfix and sendmail, none comes close
to what can be achieved with exim.

- A

--
www.baruwa.org

cyborg2 at benderirc

Jan 24, 2012, 5:01 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

Am 24.01.2012 13:35, schrieb Graeme Fowler:
> On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 12:19 +0000, Oliver Howe wrote:
>> Is there any way to see or estimate the usage and popularity of Exim?
>> I am going to do a presentation to a prospective client and would like
>> to include some stats to backup our choice of mta.
> There are several sets of "statistics" for this - here's but one:
>
> http://www.mailradar.com/mailstat/
>
> I put "statistics" in quotes because it it very, very difficult to do
> this accurately.
>
> I think you'd be better off asking what your client requires, then
> demonstrating how it can be done.
>
> Graeme

if you combine those stats with the last post from Tom, you can come to
the conculsion,
that there are too many Plesk servers out in the wild ;)

I think, fedora, redhat, debian and ubuntu aka the vendors, should have
the best stats about which MTA was installed most.
At least for the stats for Linux will be accurate as they can be.

I checked with fedora and they do a hell lot of statistics , but
unfortunatly not which packages got installed.
But maybe an email to the maintainers will solve this.

Marius

jethro.binks at strath

Jan 24, 2012, 5:26 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012, Cyborg wrote:

> I think, fedora, redhat, debian and ubuntu aka the vendors, should have
> the best stats about which MTA was installed most. At least for the
> stats for Linux will be accurate as they can be.

I'm not sure that helps any. Most people installing Linux don't do it
because they want to run an Internet MTA. In most cases, the most they
are likely to do is learn how to configure whatever default MTA their
distribution provides to forward outbound mail to some relay, whether in
their company/campus, or somewhere else, and teach their mail client to
talk to an incoming mail service already provisioned for them. If they
want something more sophisticated, they will either learn how to configure
what they already had, or use whatever they are already familiar with from
elsewhere, whatever platform they are using.

Jethro.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.

Klaus+exim at Ethgen

Jan 24, 2012, 5:28 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

graeme at graemef

Jan 24, 2012, 6:02 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 14:28 +0100, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> I like the statistic from security space[0] for obvious reason ;-)

...which shows the rise of Ubuntu as an installed server OS, and
WHM/cPanel as hosting control panels - all of which use Exim by default.

There's good reason for that choice having been made, but it is not one
made by most of the admins involved - it's been pre-selected for them.

Notably however Exim is now not installed in RHEL6 (and therefore
CentOS6); it is included in the EPEL repository and can be chosen, but
the default is Postfix. I doubt that will contribute greatly.

For me "it's really popular" is not a massive consideration when looking
at software. "We can make it do what we need it to" overrides
everything.

Graeme

Klaus+exim at Ethgen

Jan 24, 2012, 6:25 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

nigel at dotdot

Jan 24, 2012, 6:49 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

On 24 Jan 2012, at 14:25, Klaus Ethgen wrote:

> Postfix is much less flexible than exim. However, I like to suggest
> postfix for not expert users if they ask for an MTA as the possibility
> for harm is smaller.

Without wanting to get into any form of shouting/slagging match, the
bit that worried/intrigued me was the very high (relatively) figure
for postfix open relays
http://www.mailradar.com/mailstat/mta/Postfix.html?mid=4
http://www.mailradar.com/mailstat/open-relay/

Sendmail is rather better than exim on this one, but both are well
below the figures for postfix (and you want low figures).

Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham ------------------------------ nigel [at] dotdot ]
[ Ellipsis Intangible Technologies ]

ojhowe at gmail

Jan 24, 2012, 7:01 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

Yes, the reason why my company uses it is because it enables us to
make it do what we and our customers want it to.
This is all the better if I can back that up with "roughly a quarter
of the world's mail servers are running Exim which is an indication of
its ability, reliability, resilience and robustness" etc.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Klaus Ethgen <Klaus+exim [at] ethgen> wrote:

duihi77 at gmail

Jan 24, 2012, 7:10 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

On Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 14:49:36 UTC, nigel [at] dotdot confabulated:

> On 24 Jan 2012, at 14:25, Klaus Ethgen wrote:

>> Postfix is much less flexible than exim. However, I like to suggest
>> postfix for not expert users if they ask for an MTA as the possibility
>> for harm is smaller.

> Without wanting to get into any form of shouting/slagging match, the
> bit that worried/intrigued me was the very high (relatively) figure
> for postfix open relays
> http://www.mailradar.com/mailstat/mta/Postfix.html?mid=4
> http://www.mailradar.com/mailstat/open-relay/

> Sendmail is rather better than exim on this one, but both are well
> below the figures for postfix (and you want low figures).

Doesn't worry me. It just shows me there are servers out there that
were not configured properly. By design, most MTA software comes
pre-configured as not being open relays. It's whoever does the
configuring who made the mistake, not the software.

--
If at first you don't succeed...
...so much for skydiving.

graeme at graemef

Jan 24, 2012, 7:16 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 15:01 +0000, Oliver Howe wrote:
> Yes, the reason why my company uses it is because it enables us to
> make it do what we and our customers want it to.
> This is all the better if I can back that up with "roughly a quarter
> of the world's mail servers are running Exim which is an indication of
> its ability, reliability, resilience and robustness" etc.

Unfortunately, as much as I would like that to be true, it's more like
"roughly a quarter of all contactable mail servers tested by a single
survey company last year were running Exim at the time of the test,
which is an indication that they were running Exim at the time of the
test" :)

There are myriad reasons for them to have been doing so, but I would
suspect "because it was the default MTA chosen by the OS or application
packager" would be more accurate.

There are at least two people from cPanel on this list that I am aware
of (maybe more) - chaps, do you have an explanation of why you chose
Exim for cPanel/WHM installations?

Graeme

tlyons at ivenue

Jan 24, 2012, 8:17 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 7:16 AM, Graeme Fowler <graeme [at] graemef> wrote:
> There are at least two people from cPanel on this list that I am aware
> of (maybe more) - chaps, do you have an explanation of why you chose
> Exim for cPanel/WHM installations?

I'll bet it starts with "I looked at the sendmail.cf and tried to
write a few rules." I know I struggle when manually twiddling with
sendmail.cf. Overall it's turns out to be so easy to get exim to do
what you want and when you want, that it's hard to imagine using
anything else if you need anything beyond the standard milters (for
postfix and sendmail).

Regards... Todd
--
SOPA: Any attempt to [use legal means to] reverse technological
advances is doomed.  --Leo Leporte

cyborg2 at benderirc

Jan 24, 2012, 10:06 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

Am 24.01.2012 17:17, schrieb Todd Lyons:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 7:16 AM, Graeme Fowler<graeme [at] graemef> wrote:
>> There are at least two people from cPanel on this list that I am aware
>> of (maybe more) - chaps, do you have an explanation of why you chose
>> Exim for cPanel/WHM installations?
> I'll bet it starts with "I looked at the sendmail.cf and tried to
> write a few rules." I know I struggle when manually twiddling with
> sendmail.cf. Overall it's turns out to be so easy to get exim to do
> what you want and when you want, that it's hard to imagine using
> anything else if you need anything beyond the standard milters (for
> postfix and sendmail).
>
> Regards... Todd
isn't that always the case, if you know what you are doing ?

I for myself wish, that the exims docs get smaller in the future.
Somethimes it's cool if you just have to write something like this :

use_spamassassin = yes_i_do;
spamassassin.checkDomain = name1.de : name2.de
spamassassin.criticalScore = 5.0;
spamassassin.doCriticalAction = mark_as_spam;

If it's too simplistic, you can do it the hard way :)

I bet that most of the people just need those 4 lines in theire config.

It's the same for clamd, you would need 3 lines :

clamav.use = yes_i_do;
clamav.checkDomain = name1.de : name2.de
clamav.doCriticalAction = drop;

BTW: pls add to the whishlist a directory "/etc/exim/conf.d/" for
autoincludes.

i know what include is for, but thats not very "automatic" , isn't it
.It would allow
addons like any other major package like apache or munin offers.

# yum install clamav-exim

would drop this into /etc/exim/conf.d/20_spamassassin.conf

spamassassin.use = yes_i_do;
spamassassin.checkDomain = *
spamassassin.criticalScore = 5.0;
spamassassin.doCriticalAction = mark_as_spam;

and tada it works.. harmless, but working out of the box.

Marius

eximusers at downhill

Jan 24, 2012, 11:04 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

Graeme Fowler <graeme [at] graemef> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 14:28 +0100, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
>> I like the statistic from security space[0] for obvious reason ;-)

> ...which shows the rise of Ubuntu as an installed server OS, and
> WHM/cPanel as hosting control panels - all of which use Exim by default.
[...]

Iirc Ubuntu's default MTA has always been postfix, not exim. This is
one point where Ubuntu and Debian differ.

cu andreas

alan at patriot

Jan 24, 2012, 11:55 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 08:04:49PM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> Iirc Ubuntu's default MTA has always been postfix, not exim. This is
> one point where Ubuntu and Debian differ.
It should be pointed out that AFAIK all the main Linux
distributions make it easy to switch from sendmail to exim to
postfix to ?? Which is of course good.

I am an expert in none of the above. But I have used exim,
but wound up with postfix; I forget why. IMHO sendmail is
ridiculous. The configuration process is so arcane that one
has to use another arcane language, m4, to do it! Jeez.

Now: can we have a nice debate about whether vi or emacs is better?
We'll allow fans of pico/nano and jed to speak up, OK?

Best wishes to all!

Alan, in Silver Spring MD

--
Alan McConnell : http://patriot.net/users/alan
We do not know one millionth of one percent about anything.(Edison)

ml+exim at wzff

Jan 30, 2012, 3:31 AM

Re: usage/popularity of Exim [In reply to]

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 14:49:36 +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> Without wanting to get into any form of shouting/slagging match, the
> bit that worried/intrigued me was the very high (relatively) figure
> for postfix open relays
> http://www.mailradar.com/mailstat/mta/Postfix.html?mid=4
> http://www.mailradar.com/mailstat/open-relay/

A friend of mine points this out to me:
http://paste.xinu.at/1ovM4

He says he isn't sure whether it's really the default configuration in
Postfix, or if his configuration is otherwise screwed up, but in any
case, postfix seems to make it particularly easy to configure one's
server as an open relay by accident.

No bikeshed/flamewar intended. Postfix is probably still a good SMTP
server implementation (which I never used though), but behaviour like
this is *stupid* and makes me want to avoid it at any cost.

Moritz