Mailing List Archive: exim: users

book recommendation?

lars at lfweb

Dec 23, 2011, 4:39 AM

book recommendation?

Hi,

Can you recommend a good book on exim to get me further?

I have been running a private smtp server for a few years now and know a
little about acl's, routers and transports. My goal is to get knowledge to
manage a professional mail-server with ssl, mysql integration,
web-management etc.

What should I read?

And.. Merry Christmas to those of you who use that stuff! :-)

Regards
Lars Nielsen
www.lfweb.dk

hs at schlittermann

Dec 23, 2011, 4:47 AM

Re: book recommendation? [In reply to]

lars [at] lfweb <lars [at] lfweb> (Fr 23 Dez 2011 13:39:13 CET):
> Hi,
>
> Can you recommend a good book on exim to get me further?
>
> I have been running a private smtp server for a few years now and know a
> little about acl's, routers and transports. My goal is to get knowledge to
> manage a professional mail-server with ssl, mysql integration,
> web-management etc.

About Exim: there is http://www.uit.co.uk/BK-EOGR4/HomePage, the
definitive Exim book. From my POV you can't get anything better.

It's published in spring 2007, but since that there where no major
*changes* in Exim, just enhancements.

But - it just covers Exim, not MySQL and not Webmanagement, since this
is out of scope of a book about an SMTP server. But after reading you'll
know how to have Exim looking up data from a relational database.

--
Heiko :: dresden : linux : SCHLITTERMANN.de
GPG Key 48D0359B : 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2 7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B

billnot at craybox

Dec 23, 2011, 7:02 AM

book recommendation? [In reply to]

Hi, Lars

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 13:39:13 +0100 (CET) in message number <31716815b16fcaca6593d715b89ad7f0.squirrel [at] webmail>, received here on 23/12/2011 15:58:55, lars [at] lfweb said:

> Hi,
>
> Can you recommend a good book on exim to get me further?

Like Heiko, I can thoroughly recommend Philip Hazel's book, which I find
an invaluable work of reference.

--
This is Spain. We do things differently here!

Bill Hayles
billnot [at] billnot

exim at u61

Dec 23, 2011, 7:18 AM

Re: book recommendation? [In reply to]

I could neither find the answers I wanted in the book nor any
explanation about the logic and design of the syntax language.
Retrospectively it appears others added to it.

I recommend the current documentation instead of the 2007 book. There is
a lot of reading, no technical summary of the concept, logic and
structure, but there is a lot in the current documentation that is
missed, in my opinion, from the book.

For the adventurous and wealthy, your best bet is a trip to the USA and
a week long stay with Phil - afterwards you will know an awful lot about
Exim :-)

Happy Christmas to everyone.

--

Paul.
England,

exim-users at spodhuis

Dec 31, 2011, 3:11 AM

Re: book recommendation? [In reply to]

On 2011-12-23 at 15:18 +0000, Always Learning wrote:
> I could neither find the answers I wanted in the book nor any
> explanation about the logic and design of the syntax language.
> Retrospectively it appears others added to it.

The language is string expansion, with some operators and conditional.

> I recommend the current documentation instead of the 2007 book. There is
> a lot of reading, no technical summary of the concept, logic and
> structure, but there is a lot in the current documentation that is
> missed, in my opinion, from the book.

The two should supplement each other. The book is a tutorial and guide,
the online docs are a reference.

> For the adventurous and wealthy, your best bet is a trip to the USA and
> a week long stay with Phil - afterwards you will know an awful lot about
> Exim :-)

For clarity: there are two Phil's involved with Exim. Phil Hazel wrote
it, has now retired from his job at the University of Cambridge, keeps
an eye on things from a distance but mostly enjoys his well-earned
retirement. He knows all of Exim exceedingly well. As far as I know,
he's still in Blighty.

I'm Phil Pennock, I'm one of the maintainers; I'm British, but living in
the USA. I have a full-time job where in 2012Q1 we'll be migrating
things to Exim, and where my employer (Twitter) is generous enough to
let me spend focused work time on Exim when there's a major
security-driven release; but I do not have a lot of spare time. Life at
a start-up. So a week with me would involve playing with cats and
talking to my wife and my occasionally blinking and remembering there's
someone visiting. It would not be a productive use of your time.

Unless you really like playing with cats.

I am not an authority on every corner of Exim; I forget details, or
occasionally learn something new. I am capable of using the "less"
text-viewer on the "spec.txt" which ships with Exim and finding my way
around things quickly.

I recommend the Exim4 book (not the Exim3 book) for an introduction and
guide, and looking at:
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/index.html
which is a prettier form of "spec.txt" and pay very close attention to
chapter 3.

Happy new year!
--
https://twitter.com/syscomet