Mailing List Archive: exim: users

redirect question

jagginess at videotron

Dec 20, 2011, 5:17 PM

redirect question

is it possible to redirect a rewrite outgoing?

I read that redirect is used for incoming, but can I use it for outgoing?

I'm trying to send mail using /etc/email-aliases
username of the system is ->"johndoe"
email alias in /etc/email-aliases(debian)-> "johndoe: jdoe934 [at] isp"

I know the incorrect "router" is being used. It uses "driver = dnslookup" and this router uses transport "remote_smtp", in remote_smtp there's nothing about something of using port 587, which I'm trying to use.. (this port doesn't use any TLS, it uses plaintext password authentication)

I've been on and off about this and even bought the book on exim.
If anyone knows what keywords I should be using that would be great.. If this is possible then I'm guessing it's possible to redirect aliases(or is this a rewrite?) for outgoing ..

Basically I want johndoe to send an email from debian.localdomain, have his FROM: field rewritten to jdoe934 [at] isp, and have passwd.client used against mail.isp.net used for his plaintext authentication..(i'm not worrying about incoming atm)

i'm also a little confused about passwd.client -- the documentation doesn't mention if you can use another port besides port 25.. anyone knows if this can this be used? -> "mail.isp.net::587:VLWNNDGX:mysecretpasswd"

I hope this isn't a little confusing.. but I'm acquainting to using commands like exim -bt and exim -bp to help troubleshoot.. There is activity but on the wrong port and I have no idea how to tell if the user aliasing/rewriting is taking place.

(exim edition is v4.72)
debian platform command gives me this output (though I use debian, I understand the broad general form configuration format that exim natively uses -- debian outputs it in /var/lib/exim/config.autogenerated)

"
# exim -bV
Exim version 4.72 #1 built 12-May-2011 18:13:11
Copyright (c) University of Cambridge, 1995 - 2007
Berkeley DB: Berkeley DB 4.8.30: (April 9, 2010)
Support for: crypteq iconv() IPv6 GnuTLS move_frozen_messages DKIM
Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch cdb dbm dbmnz dnsdb dsearch nis nis0 passwd
Authenticators: cram_md5 plaintext
Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral manualroute queryprogram redirect
Transports: appendfile/maildir/mailstore autoreply lmtp pipe smtp
Fixed never_users: 0
Size of off_t: 8
GnuTLS compile-time version: 2.8.6
GnuTLS runtime version: 2.8.6
Configuration file is /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated
"

John.Burnham at admin

Dec 21, 2011, 1:08 AM

Re: redirect question [In reply to]

> is it possible to redirect a rewrite outgoing?
>
> I read that redirect is used for incoming, but can I use it
> for outgoing?
>
> I'm trying to send mail using /etc/email-aliases
> username of the system is ->"johndoe"
> email alias in /etc/email-aliases(debian)-> "johndoe: jdoe934 [at] isp"
>
> I know the incorrect "router" is being used. It uses "driver
> = dnslookup" and this router uses transport "remote_smtp", in
> remote_smtp there's nothing about something of using port
> 587, which I'm trying to use.. (this port doesn't use any
> TLS, it uses plaintext password authentication)
>
> I've been on and off about this and even bought the book on exim.
> If anyone knows what keywords I should be using that would be
> great.. If this is possible then I'm guessing it's possible
> to redirect aliases(or is this a rewrite?) for outgoing ..
>
> Basically I want johndoe to send an email from
> debian.localdomain, have his FROM: field rewritten to
> jdoe934 [at] isp, and have passwd.client used against
> mail.isp.net used for his plaintext authentication..(i'm not
> worrying about incoming atm)

OK, I may be misunderstanding here, but don't you just want a rewrite rule based on a lookup ? It has nothing to do with routers as far as I can see.

Here's an example of a rewrite rule doing something similar:

*@* ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/exim/senders}{$value}fail} frFs

That looks up the local part (the first "*") in a file and rewrites (if they match) the from header, the reply header, the envelope from and the sender header.
You then have a file called /etc/exim/senders (in this case) with contents along the lines of

localpart1: newaddress [at] example
localpart2: newaddress2 [at] example

and so on.

Have a look at http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch31.html for more details.

The authentication and sending is a different matter and I'm not sure what issues you're having there - possibly it's too early and I haven't had enough coffee yet.

> i'm also a little confused about passwd.client -- the
> documentation doesn't mention if you can use another port
> besides port 25.. anyone knows if this can this be used? ->
> "mail.isp.net::587:VLWNNDGX:mysecretpasswd"

Hmm. This sounds like a Debian specific thing. I'm afraid I don't know how they do things like that.

John

jgh at wizmail

Dec 21, 2011, 10:26 AM

Re: redirect question [In reply to]

On 2011-12-21 01:17, jagginess [at] videotron wrote:
> I read that redirect is used for incoming, but can I use it for outgoing?

Yes.

> I'm trying to send mail using /etc/email-aliases
> username of the system is ->"johndoe"
> email alias in /etc/email-aliases(debian)-> "johndoe: jdoe934 [at] isp"
>
> I know the incorrect "router" is being used. It uses "driver = dnslookup" and this router uses transport "remote_smtp", in remote_smtp there's nothing about something of using port 587, which I'm trying to use.. (this port doesn't use any TLS, it uses plaintext password authentication)

587 is generally used for mail *submission* - from an MUA to the first MTA.
Exim is an MTA. While exim won't stop you configuring to do that, are
you sure you really want to?

I can't speak for the Debian configuration of Exim.

--
Jeremy

stucki at mi

Dec 22, 2011, 4:43 AM

Re: redirect question [In reply to]

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011, jagginess [at] videotron wrote:

> is it possible to redirect a rewrite outgoing?

It is, but depends on what you really mean by 'redirect' here
> I'm trying to send mail using /etc/email-aliases
> username of the system is ->"johndoe"
> email alias in /etc/email-aliases(debian)-> "johndoe: jdoe934 [at] isp"

Aliases are 'just what an MTA is for'?

> I know the incorrect "router" is being used. It uses "driver = dnslookup" and this router uses transport "remote_smtp", in remote_smtp there's nothing about something of using port 587, which I'm trying to use.. (this port doesn't use any TLS, it uses plaintext password authentication)

now, here is the question, what you mean by 'redirect':

- redirect Mail form on ADDRESS to another ADDRESS
- redirect from one HOST to another HOST (may be because of the address)
- redirect mail from default port 25 (MTAs dialogue)
to port 587 (user dialogue)

Your description of the problems looks as if you want to simulate
"a user's creating new mails at his own provider's Mailhost"
by locally feeding mails to an exim to do the work for you
(which would need each user with an alias to mail to,
an address + provider-MTA + user-id + password,
exim needing to login into each provider's submit port)

But why would one ever do that? Normal redirecting Aliases
just sends the 'resulting Addresses' to the correct MTAs
(by using MX records) over port 25! No need for login.
Just and only redirecting by addresses.

EXCEPT if you want to 'impersonate' the user creating
new mails, and even if this is possible (using lookups
with sets of settings-per-user, it will be),
exim would be the wrong program to do it with, being
an 'MTA' ("T"ransfer) not an 'MUA' ("U"ser)

Stucki

--
Christoph von Stuckrad * * |nickname |Mail <stucki [at] mi> \
Freie Universitaet Berlin |/_*|'stucki' |Tel(Mo.,Mi.):+49 30 838-75 459|