Mailing List Archive: exim: users

adding a delay to smarthost transport

pdcooper at blueyonder

Nov 14, 2011, 11:58 PM

adding a delay to smarthost transport

My ISP limits me to 150 emails/hr (even through their cpanel mailman
application!)
i would like to add a delay =30 secs to my own exim config so i can deal
with the mailing list 'in house'
Im using ubuntu server + exim.

Its not clear (to me) where and how to configure the delay ACL
Anyone able to offer any pointers

thanks

wbh at conducive

Nov 15, 2011, 1:06 AM

Re: adding a delay to smarthost transport [In reply to]

paul cooper wrote:
> My ISP limits me to 150 emails/hr (even through their cpanel mailman
> application!)
> i would like to add a delay =30 secs to my own exim config so i can deal
> with the mailing list 'in house'
> Im using ubuntu server + exim.
>
> Its not clear (to me) where and how to configure the delay ACL
> Anyone able to offer any pointers
>

> thanks

So long as you can ID the sending MLM/app, all you need is the clause
that detects it and a line with:

'delay = 30s'

Doesn't much matter what 'phase' of the smtp session it is hung onto,
but in general earlier is better.

If the invocation does NOT travel by, or is not exclusively by, way-of a
proper smtp 'session', eg; the binary is called from on same-box - then
it will either/also have to appear in an acl_not_smtp construct, which
may not yet exist in any form at present in your config.

Dunno exactly where Cpanel enters any of that...

Bill
--
韓家標

graeme at graemef

Nov 15, 2011, 2:50 PM

Re: adding a delay to smarthost transport [In reply to]

paul cooper <pdcooper [at] blueyonder> wrote:
>Its not clear (to me) where and how to configure the delay ACL

It's perhaps unclear because ACLs are used for *inbound* mail, not mail which is departing from your MTA.

There are ways and means to throttle outbound mail - look at the options for the remote SMTP transport - but limiting outbound mail to exactly 150 messages per hour is likely to be fairly inexact and result in major delays.

Graeme.

pdcooper at blueyonder

Nov 15, 2011, 4:08 PM

Re: adding a delay to smarthost transport [In reply to]

thanks.
Ive had a look through the smtp transport list in the book and tried
google. - I'm not sure what im looking for
what id like is to wait 30 secs between each email going out to the
smarthost . it doesn't have to be exactly 150 /hr , only < 150/hr - the
mailing list isnt enormous I can set it off overnight and let it get on
with it.
does it pause after connection_max_messages and then start again on the
next queue run ?