Mailing List Archive: exim: users

retry and fail

andrew at donehue

retry and fail

Hi All,
I have a seperate outgoing exim configuration that I use to attempt
delivery once only (for addresses I think will fail), then fail totally
(no retry)....

In my "begin retry" section I have the following -
* *

I have also tried
* * F,30m,15m

But neither seems to fail, just "freeze" the message. How do I make it
so that if the message can't be delivered it gets bounced back to sender
(which in every case has a valid address) - instead of remaining frozen?
(I read the online docs, but am still unsure :( )

Many thanks.

Andrew.

ph10 at cus

Re: retry and fail [In reply to]

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Andrew wrote:

> I have a seperate outgoing exim configuration that I use to attempt
> delivery once only (for addresses I think will fail), then fail totally
> (no retry)....
>
> In my "begin retry" section I have the following -
> * *
>
> I have also tried
> * * F,30m,15m
>
> But neither seems to fail, just "freeze" the message. How do I make it
> so that if the message can't be delivered it gets bounced back to sender
> (which in every case has a valid address) - instead of remaining frozen?
> (I read the online docs, but am still unsure :( )

If you have no retry data at all, messages should be bounced after the
first failure. *Why* is it freezing your messages? What does it say in
the log?

--
Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service,
ph10 [at] cus Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.

andrew at donehue

Re: retry and fail [In reply to]

Hey!
From the log file for that specific exim configuration -

2004-04-03 12:25:02 1B9aqE-0000mv-Bd <= <> U=Debian-exim P=local S=872
2004-04-03 12:25:02 1B9aqE-0000mv-Bd ** 5b90 [at] 7: Unrouteable address
2004-04-03 12:25:02 1B9aqE-0000mv-Bd Frozen (delivery error message)

That is an example of one that is frozen when I hoped it would be
deleted/bounced... not end up in a spool :)

Many thanks!

Andrew.

Philip Hazel wrote:

>On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Andrew wrote:
>

>>I have a seperate outgoing exim configuration that I use to attempt
>>delivery once only (for addresses I think will fail), then fail totally
>>(no retry)....
>>
>>In my "begin retry" section I have the following -
>>* *
>>
>>I have also tried
>>* * F,30m,15m
>>
>>But neither seems to fail, just "freeze" the message. How do I make it
>>so that if the message can't be delivered it gets bounced back to sender
>>(which in every case has a valid address) - instead of remaining frozen?
>>(I read the online docs, but am still unsure :( )
>>

>If you have no retry data at all, messages should be bounced after the
>first failure. *Why* is it freezing your messages? What does it say in
>the log?
>
>--
>Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service,
>ph10 [at] cus Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.
>Get the Exim 4 book: http://www.uit.co.uk/exim-book
>
>--

andrew at donehue

Re: retry and fail [In reply to]

Just for the record, I managed to solve the problem by adding these two
lines in....

ignore_bounce_errors_after = 0m
timeout_frozen_after = 0m

Thanks for your help.