Mailing List Archive: exim: users

redirect question

ridgey at ridgey

Jun 3, 2003, 10:32 PM

redirect question

Hi there,

I am in the process of upgading from exim 3.x to 4. In previous version we used a director like this :

redirect_blah:
driver = smartuser
local_parts = ${local_part}
domains = one.domain.com
new_address = ${local_part}@two.domain.com
no_verify

can anyone please point me in the right direction of give me an example router to be used in then new exim 4.20 configuartion.
Any help appreciated.

Regards
Nathan
--

bmassot at free

Jun 4, 2003, 7:51 AM

Re: redirect question [In reply to]

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 03:32:31PM +1000, Nathan Ridge wrote:
> I am in the process of upgading from exim 3.x to 4. In previous
> version we used a director like this :
>
> redirect_blah:
> driver = smartuser
> local_parts = ${local_part}
This line looks totally useless.
> domains = one.domain.com
> new_address = ${local_part}@two.domain.com
> no_verify
>
> can anyone please point me in the right direction of give me an
> example router to be used in then new exim 4.20 configuartion.
> Any help appreciated.
Put this router at the end of the routers handling one.domain.org :
redirect_blah:
driver = redirect
domains = one.domain.org
data = $local_part [at] two
no_verify
--
Bernard Massot

jagginess at videotron

Feb 11, 2012, 3:33 PM

Re: redirect question [In reply to]

Thanks for answering me a while, back, i took a break into trying to
resolve it, I'm still stuck as to where I can find clear documentation
on this, I tried looking into what you mentioned but it doesn't add up
because exim is supposed to be setup to authenticate as part of the
user(I know this is possible).. Jdoe has to be in a way mapped to
vlgrbnz(email credential login) which exim does by impersonating jdoe's
login..

I'll try to rephrase something which I didn't address clearly.

I have a user jdoe on a lan system.

<Jdoe on LanMachine 192.168.x.x> <---> <smtp of isp.net>

^ Basically that's my setup, exim is running on lanmachine..
My Lanmachine is not servicing anything to the internet, so this
basically means I'll have to setup something on Lanmachine to
'fetchmail' for jdoe(i'll look into something for this later).

Where i'm stuck is how do I setup exim to authenticate on behalf for
jdoe for sending mail from jdoe. (Jdoe will be sending mail from the
lanmachine so right now i'm hoping the rule not to be too complex)

email username:vlgrbnz
email password:AlphaNumberic1
(fictitious credentials, just to point out the concept that the actual
email username isn't jdoe)

Exim would have to act as a client on behalf of jdoe, logging in with
these email credentials to some "smtp.isp.net:587" service..

This is my first step, and I'm very stuck :( .. If someone can shed a
light on how I can approach this, it would be great.. as for it being
debian or not.. don't worry.. debian allows to use a flat configuration
file, and i first intend to try to set it up in a non-split
configuration ..(debian allows to use a traditional flat configuration
file, it says so in it's documentation)

This sounds hard, but I know it shouldn't be provided I know what ruling
keywords I should be using in the configuration setup.. I'm pretty new
to this so please bear with me. Thanks for any feedback, greatly
appreciate it..

eximX0902w at linuxwan

Feb 11, 2012, 4:03 PM

Re: redirect question [In reply to]

On 12/02/12 09:33, jb wrote:
> Thanks for answering me a while, back, i took a break into trying to
> resolve it, I'm still stuck as to where I can find clear documentation
> on this, I tried looking into what you mentioned but it doesn't add up
> because exim is supposed to be setup to authenticate as part of the
> user(I know this is possible).. Jdoe has to be in a way mapped to
> vlgrbnz(email credential login) which exim does by impersonating jdoe's
> login..

Sounds like you want a way to configure an authenticated smart host.

You need a router, authenticator and transport configured to route the
appropriate emails to the transport using the supplied authentication.

9. Configuring an Exim client to use TLS
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch39.html#SECID185

Chapter 30 - The smtp transport
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch30.html

Chapter 33 - SMTP authentication
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch33.html

Chapter 34 - The plaintext authenticator
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch34.html

Ignore Step 1 and Step 3, and this gives some excellent hints as to what
is required to smart host though gmail. Steps 1 and 2 are very specific
to the debian/ubuntu multi-file setup are are only useful if you're on
that platform.
http://www.manu-j.com/blog/wordpress-exim4-ubuntu-gmail-smtp/75/

Chapters 33 and 34 include exim behaving as a server and client. You
want it to be a client to authenticate with the smart host.