Mailing List Archive: Ethereal: users

What level does Ethereal capture packets?

Ethereal users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

dave964 at hotmail

Jun 20, 2006, 3:19 AM

What level does Ethereal capture packets?

Hi, I am currently using Ethereal to capture packets when my (windows) laptop is connected to my mobile phone. I had to install driver s/w before the phone could communicate with the laptop (over USB). My question is : when Ethereal captures the packets, where is it capturing them? Below the phone driver (e.g. between the driver and the USB port) or above the driver s/w?
Dave

Get the inside track on what's happening at MSN. Sign up for the http://g.msn.com/8HMAENUK/2731??PS=47575"]MSN Insider newsletter here.

ulf.lamping at web

Jul 27, 2006, 5:27 PM

Re: What level does Ethereal capture packets? [In reply to]

David Kitcher wrote:
> Hi,
> I am currently using Ethereal to capture packets when my (windows)
> laptop is connected to my mobile phone. I had to install driver s/w
> before the phone could communicate with the laptop (over USB). My
> question is : when Ethereal captures the packets, where is it
> capturing them? Below the phone driver (e.g. between the driver and
> the USB port) or above the driver s/w?

This is really a WinPcap question, you may ask that team about it.

What I would guess is that WinPcap is capturing "high above" the USB
driver, at the NDIS network level.

Regards, ULFL

guy at alum

Jul 27, 2006, 6:31 PM

Re: What level does Ethereal capture packets? [In reply to]

On Jul 27, 2006, at 5:27 PM, Ulf Lamping wrote:

> What I would guess is that WinPcap is capturing "high above" the
> USB driver, at the NDIS network level.

Yes. It includes an NDIS transport layer driver. However, if the
mobile phone looks like a modem on a serial port, it's probably using
the Network Monitor driver rather than the WinPcap driver (at least
if the laptop is running NT/W2K/WP), which is still above the USB
driver.