Mailing List Archive: Ethereal: doc

IBM z/OS and OS/390 packet captures

Ethereal doc RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

martin.warnes at ntlworld

IBM z/OS and OS/390 packet captures

Hi,

I think it might be worth mentioning in the documentation that IBM supply a free utility CSYSTCPDA that will reformat a standard z/OS or OS/390 packet trace into a SNIFFER (NAI) format trace which can be read by Ethereal. Knowledge of this might give Ethereal a boost in the Mainframe arena, because trust me, analysing z/OS packet traces with IPCS aint much fun.

I have successfully used this to test a dissector I'm writing for the Connect:Direct file transfer product, which transfer to/from z/OS system on a wide basis.

Details available at:

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/network/commserver/downloads/csystcpda.html

Martin

guy at netapp

Re: IBM z/OS and OS/390 packet captures [In reply to]

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 08:55:14PM +0100, Martin Warnes wrote:
> I think it might be worth mentioning in the documentation that IBM
> supply a free utility CSYSTCPDA that will reformat a standard z/OS or
> OS/390 packet trace into a SNIFFER (NAI) format trace which can be read
> by Ethereal.

If they supplied the format of CSYSTCPDA output, that might be even
better, as we could then make Ethereal read that output without even
converting it....

> Knowledge of this might give Ethereal a boost in the
> Mainframe arena, because trust me, analysing z/OS packet traces with
> IPCS aint much fun.

I'm CCing the author of CSYSTCPDA on this. (If he/she is unfamiliar
with Ethereal, it's a free-software GUI network analyzer for various
UNIXes and for Windows; it can read capture traces from a number of
different other analyzers, and can also do its own capturing.)

Ethereal doc RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded