Mailing List Archive: Ethereal: dev
Re: [Plugin dev] Dissector of IP protocol?

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

guy at alum

Oct 9, 2006, 4:15 PM

Re: [Plugin dev] Dissector of IP protocol? [In reply to]

The data in question is for some other protocol, which has a protocol
number value (just as TCP, for example, has a protocol number value of
6).

The IPv4 and IPv6 dissectors use a dissector table named "ip.proto";
the values in that dissector table are protocol number values. You
would register your dissector for that other protocol in the
"ip.proto" table with the appropriate protocol number value, just as,
for example, the TCP dissector does:

dissector_add("ip.proto", IP_PROTO_TCP, tcp_handle);